Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uBercaMeL

Budbox Pro Mylar 100x100x200 good and bad

Recently got one of these. Couldn't find many reviews beforehand despite it being a 5yr or so old design, so thought I'd post a quick one for reference.

Good

Poles are pretty strong, despite only being 16mm they are quite thick and click together nicely. No plastic corners or ends. Feels like it can safely hold more than my previous secret jardin dr90 v2.5, but less than a mates Gorilla tent (best tent I've seen in person though the green qubes look pretty good too). Powder coated, which is nice, if completely unnecessary.

Tent skin feels pretty durable and seams are well stitched. Reinforced corners.

Very well light proofed*.

Viewing window. Obviously not needed and quite high up, works for how I grow my plants though.. Kind of dumb really but I'm trying to populate the good section here lol ..

3 side access (can all be open at once for putting nets in, moving trays, etc).

Groundsheet style floor material (appears to be completely water proof and will probably deal with the inevitable odd spill etc better than normal tent material). Probably more easily torn too though..

Bad

Layout: *There are only 4 tubed ports, 2 (8") are are high up (intake and outtake for cooltubes, as if anyone uses them anymore), and another (8") is in the roof. The only tubed ports in the lower part of the tent are a 6" and a 2" or so for cables. This means that unless you are using an active intake you have to use the mesh intake panels on either side, which are not remotely light proof. Rendering the impressive overall lightproofing basically pointless. 

I know some people run their extraction fans out the roof, but most peeps I know use the side ports, and as the 2 side ports on this have zips for access around them, they are rendered useless when you use them to run the extract though..

Zips: Anyone who's had one of the older budboxes probably doesn't anymore, because the zips all broke. At least that was my experience.. I also know a guy who cleared a grow shop out of their returned tents, and they were mostly budboxes with broken zips lol . I think the zips on this one are larger, but I'm not convinced they are any better. 5 zips is also just unnecessary and a bit of a pain for me, though I can see why some might find the 3 sided access useful, I think closed 1 zip designs are way less prone to breaking. These zips are also absurdly loud. They don't have any rubber-type backing and the zip-teeth material seems to be plastic and consequently the tent is basically a zip-subwoofer. As in I have to spend multiple minutes undoing the main zip, and then I usually leave it open until I've given them their last watering of the day because of the lack of intakes..

Corners: Basically they are quite sharp, and roughly capped. This makes me seriously doubt the durability if taking it down regularly. My previous dr90 was basic, but the smoothly rounded plastic corners meant it lasted nearly 10 years and being rebuilt at least 30 times.. And the zip still works fine..

Mylar: Basic hammertone, not the better diamond mylar you get in most newer premium tents (even some cheaper ones like Mars). Feels pretty robust though, probably more durable than the stuff in many budget tents.

Spill tray: For some reason it's designed to be slightly smaller than the tent, so it sits taut a few cm from the walls. Maybe I'm missing why but it only seems to serve as a place for water to go when you miss with your watering can..

Poles: Why black? It's probably only a % or less, but why make a highly reflective tent, and then paint the poles black? 

Overall

Way better tents to be had, especially nowadays. Generally quite basic and uninspired, not much thought into the layout, limiting user applications. Just a simple upgrade on an old design.

Absolutely up to the task though, especially if noisy zips aren't a bother, you don't expect to have to rebuild it often, and you have an active intake or grow in a dark room. 

Edited by uBercaMeL
4 people like this

Good review, 

1 person likes this