Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cal2020

U.K. grain alcohol

16 posts in this topic

Could anyone shed some light on the best thing to use for an equivalence to ever clear because it’s not really available in the U.K., would “190 proof non denatured food grade alcohol” would this be suitable for making an edible tincture

Just now, Cal2020 said:

Could anyone shed some light on the best thing to use for an equivalence to ever clear because it’s not really available in the U.K., would “190 proof non denatured food grade alcohol” would this be suitable for making an edible tincture

Never one that isn’t even available , so I would literally just have to go with buying bottles of spirits, can anyone point me in the right direction for the best ones and where to purchase?

Spirytus 95% Alcohol , you should be able to get it online but it's years since I bought any

so I can't tell you where I got it from ( it's Polish )

Edited by Degsy
spell the name of it
3 people like this

Isopropyl alcohol you can find it on a well know auction site.

Don't go drinking it and mixing it with orange juice or any thing.

But for making Rick Simpsons oil it is perfect.

I buy mine by the 25litre container.

But I use it for cleaning and a few things in the garage as well.

1 person likes this

You will only find the 95% stuff in the UK I think. Price wise, even when you dilute it it's cheaper to buy a single bottle of dirty vodka. Let me know if you find out differently! 

I wish I could make my own. Such faff though. 

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, Nervous said:

You will only find the 95% stuff in the UK I think. Price wise, even when you dilute it it's cheaper to buy a single bottle of dirty vodka. Let me know if you find out differently! 

I wish I could make my own. Such faff though. 

I made some decent ethanol a few times using a veg steamer with lid, ramekin and a bag of ice. Was a bit of a faff but no more than making ice hash really. Put a couple of litres of wine/mash in the pan, put the steamer section in, put the ramekin in the middle, invert the lid and seal with tin foil or salt dough if you fancy. I used a steamer lid with a hole in so I stuck a probe thermometer in there. You could do the same with cheap vodka to increase the proof I guess. Oh if you are wanting to drink it, you'll need to look up methanol boiling point etc

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

You will only find the 95% stuff in the UK I think.

Thats because ethanol is hygroscopic. It starts out as 100% and then absorbs 5% water from the atmosphere, thats why it's all 95%.

That is also why the strongest Everclear grain alcohol is only 190 proof, that 10 stopping it from being totally pure is the water it has absorbed from the atmosphere.

3 people like this

19 minutes ago, iShouldCoCo said:

I made some decent ethanol a few times using a veg steamer with lid, ramekin and a bag of ice. Was a bit of a faff but no more than making ice hash really. Put a couple of litres of wine/mash in the pan, put the steamer section in, put the ramekin in the middle, invert the lid and seal with tin foil or salt dough if you fancy. I used a steamer lid with a hole in so I stuck a probe thermometer in there. You could do the same with cheap vodka to increase the proof I guess. Oh if you are wanting to drink it, you'll need to look up methanol boiling point etc

I would need it in litres for things like oriental herbal nutrients so it would be proper equipment I need to produce large amounts

Plus with my veg steamer (from the 90s) I would almost certainly set myself on fire lol 

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Thats because ethanol is hygroscopic. It starts out as 100% and then absorbs 5% water from the atmosphere, thats why it's all 95%.

That is also why the strongest Everclear grain alcohol is only 190 proof, that 10 stopping it from being totally pure is the water it has absorbed from the atmosphere.

How do you explain 96.5% alcohol then ?

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Nervous said:

I would need it in litres for things like oriental herbal nutrients so it would be proper equipment I need to produce large amounts

Plus with my veg steamer (from the 90s) I would almost certainly set myself on fire lol 

Yeah - you need a big ol' still for litres really - I made a few hundred ml...

OH YES!! P.S.A - DO IT ON AN ELEC HOB NOT GAS!!!

2 people like this

Boom. No more eyebrows. 

3 people like this

5 hours ago, Cal2020 said:

shed some light on the best thing to use for an equivalence to ever clear

4 people like this

I've fallen victim to product placement and bought his book. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Degsy said:

How do you explain 96.5% alcohol then ?

The alcohol is usually purified via fractional distilation and will be just over 95% when distilled. Did you mean 95.6%?

They also remove the other nastys and dispose of/sell them.

If you look at a profesional still they are long and tall with other pipes coming off them.

You can dry the alcohol if you choose to but most people can live with a little water in their alcohol.

On 01/08/2020 at 1:48 PM, Cal2020 said:

Could anyone shed some light on the best thing to use for an equivalence to ever clear because it’s not really available in the U.K., would “190 proof non denatured food grade alcohol” would this be suitable for making an edible 

i have came across spyrtus Dutch alcohol which is like 95% would this do the trick?