Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

B0bbyBuds

High temp storage

Alright folks. Beautiful weather today. Went to get some buds of my friend. He’s keeping the jars for me. He’s moved them into a storage container. We walked in and fucking hell given how hot it is today warm air blew us away. The jars are hot as fuck. Opened the jars and the fizzed/popped probably just pressure change. 

Anyone else had similar experience. Can’t smoke till a bit later today, keep thinking if the jars are fucked. Started looking up cannabinoid and terp boiling points. Volatile ones seem to boil off at low temps. 

Guess the proof will be in smoking in. Needed to vent. Already on rations hopefully not degraded rations. 

Can't store it like you would dry herbs in a cupboard for long (often herbs and spices are irradiated). Most people smoke it in good time. 

Like other perishables, the absolute best would be fridge temps, sealed in jars that are humidity controlled. Freezer temps - have never tried but I imagine ice crystals might degrade it somewhat. If you freeze beetroot, the pigment suddenly starts leaking out like crazy because ice crystals (which don't need much moisture to form) will pierce cell walls and degrade it structurally.  

Saying that, I think a microscopic view of a frozen trichome would be pretty magical. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Nervous said:

Can't store it like you would dry herbs in a cupboard for long (often herbs and spices are irradiated). Most people smoke it in good time. 

Like other perishables, the absolute best would be fridge temps, sealed in jars that are humidity controlled. Freezer temps - have never tried but I imagine ice crystals might degrade it somewhat. If you freeze beetroot, the pigment suddenly starts leaking out like crazy because ice crystals (which don't need much moisture to form) will pierce cell walls and degrade it structurally.  

Saying that, I think a microscopic view of a frozen trichome would be pretty magical. 

Bud needs to be properly dried before freezing, ideally put them in hard, airtight containers first, so you don't crush them and break the frozen trichomes off... handle boxes carefully when frozen and don't open the boxes until at room temperature for a while to stabilise, otherwise air moisture will condense on the frozen bud and make it wet.

Edited by catweazle1
2 people like this

@catweazle1 noted! Thanks! 

Do you think freezing trim may affect the quality of bubble hash? I have little doubt the haphazard freezing process of trim and bag then shove in next to the fish fingers isn't quite what you're describing aha. Chlorophyll would definitely come out of the leaves much easier after a good freeze. 

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Nervous said:

@catweazle1 noted! Thanks! 

Do you think freezing trim may affect the quality of bubble hash? I have little doubt the haphazard freezing process of trim and bag then shove in next to the fish fingers isn't quite what you're describing aha. Chlorophyll would definitely come out of the leaves much easier after a good freeze. 

It would seem, after some reading, that you will get better yield and quality drying the trim first before freezing. Although there are people that make it with frozen fresh trim, there is, apparently,  a higher risk of mould forming. I can see how drying it first will allow the trichomes to detach easier.

2 people like this

A 11 day heatwave forecasted for next week:furious:

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Sgt Smash said:

A 11 day heatwave forecasted for next week:furious:

The guerilla guys will be pleased, they could do with some sunshine :yep:

Swings n roundabouts :yinyang:

6 people like this

Pleased... Well, in some ways, most certainly. However, I have one plot that hasn't been watered since plant out. The girls are just starting to flower and only now after 2+ months of no water are they showing signs of stress. With the heat wave coming, I'm going to have to get out and give them some water or risk low yields and maybe even some deaths!.. 4L a plant, x45... It's going to be a long day too and from the water source.. lol

Swings and roundabouts as you say though!

:lookaround: