Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Crispy flannel

Repotting, run off or not?

Hey everyone, iv just repotted some seedling into 6.5 litre pots using ecothrive lite coco, do I need to feed them to run off or just feed untill damp through? 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I always make a quick getaway after repotting. The ladies hate it.  

The purpose of watering until run off is to stop salts building up. If you've just repotted, there's probably no need as there is presently no build up in the fresh medium. 

Edited by Nervous
5 people like this

Thankyou bud, thats what I thought, I had previously been watering to run off when repotting but noticed that it was taking upto a week to get light again, hopefully I can get my root going a bit quicker now

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

The purpose of watering until run off is to stop salts building up. If you've just repotted, there's probably no need as there is presently no build up in the fresh medium. 

Run off also helps to tell you the pot has been fully saturated.  It would be best to water the pot to run off a day prior to transplant, using an empty pot to hold space for your plant. That's a big pot for a seedling though. 

Edited by FatBoy77
4 people like this

10 hours ago, Crispy flannel said:

that it was taking upto a week to get light again

That's why people pot up in stages, well I assume coco is the same. I've never got around to trying it :blushing:

1 hour ago, KC said:

That's why people pot up in stages, well I assume coco is the same. I've never got around to trying it :blushing:

Straight into final 20L pots me. Never have I ever potted up I hate the thought of it.

1 person likes this

I use compost but I’m sure it’s the same principle. But I’m led to believe if you water too much it just sits waiting to be supped up hence yer heavy pots. I just lightly water in/dampen media before popping plant in. This way I think it encourages roots to search out water. Because the pot isn’t rooted out that water/dampness should last a good 3 days or so.

Perhaps I’ll be put right :yep:

2 people like this

I ended up doing a side by side with 2 of the most identical clones, watering one untill run off and one just moistend.

The first to have roots poking through the bottom of the pot was the one that was just moist. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Crispy flannel said:

The first to have roots poking through the bottom of the pot was the one that was just moist

Probably because it's searching for water as parts of the medium weren't wet. Fully saturating a pot will mean all the medium is evenly wet so the roots will try to grow into all of it. I bet a pot with just water in the tray will have roots poking out even faster, don't mean it's a good thing

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, KC said:

Probably because it's searching for water as parts of the medium weren't wet. Fully saturating a pot will mean all the medium is evenly wet so the roots will try to grow into all of it. I bet a pot with just water in the tray will have roots poking out even faster, don't mean it's a good thing

Makes sense Il have a look at the roots in the next few days and see if the one I gave runoff has a more dense root system

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 27/07/2020 at 9:50 AM, Xmgsneakyg said:

Straight into final 20L pots me. Never have I ever potted up I hate the thought of it.

If I did that though personally id probably just water a litre or so.Just enough to keep them happy. So i don't push all the air out of the medium...

Slowly increasing the amount.

Ive done 1.5 litre fully rooted and sexed in 1.5l to 11 litre watering as above.

Edited by icki
1 person likes this