Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kev.k

Flood and drain table.

Posted (edited)

I’ve always used recirculating DWC. I bought water farms years ago and used the refill tubes and T adapters to link them all together with a separate res, air stone and a power head. It made refilling and topping up much easier.

I’d been keeping marine fish for years so used the same parts I would for a recirculating UV filter on a fish tank. Much cheaper pumps and parts in pet shops  than hydro shops. 

It was a novel idea 20 years ago but the idea seems common now. The guy a Holland’s hydro was impressed at the time. 

I want to try SOG rather than SCROG. I’m thinking a flood and drain table is the best option for multiple plants?

Is there a better option?

Ive been thinking about a large multi pot aeroponic/DWC combo, as I’m unfamiliar with flood and drain. But all the big commercial growers seem to use the tables.

Advice would be appreciated. I’d rather do it once right than twice. 

Thanks

Edited by Kev.k
1 person likes this

if I was gonna do sog,id look closely at coco slabs/rockwool slabs,drip fed,run to waste.

7 people like this

I considered a flood & drain system when I decided to move from scrog to sog - after thinking it through I decided to run clay balls in airpots with recirc drippers as it was an easier build and simpler to automate. 

3 people like this

Have a look at the easy2go aqua valves from auto pot, I’ve been thinking about a SOG in a tray with one of those in today

1 person likes this

I use flood and drain it's a really cheap, simple and effective system,I have a 1mx1m ikea table ,  a 1x1 m garland tray with hole drilled in the middle with a valve attached leading to a basic water pump which sits in a storage container/reservoir. Add 110l of clay pebbles (air stones+ pump) optional. probaly £100 including stones.

large.PhotoPictureResizer_200428_232344135_crop_612x643.jpglarge.IMG_20200420_181139_6-816x612.jpg and thats it.

3 people like this

On 29/07/2020 at 9:50 PM, Mischief-Crew said:

I use flood and drain it's a really cheap, simple and effective system,I have a 1mx1m ikea table ,  a 1x1 m garland tray with hole drilled in the middle with a valve attached leading to a basic water pump which sits in a storage container/reservoir. Add 110l of clay pebbles (air stones+ pump) optional. probaly £100 including stones.

large.PhotoPictureResizer_200428_232344135_crop_612x643.jpglarge.IMG_20200420_181139_6-816x612.jpg and thats it.

That is very similar to what I was planning. I was even looking at IKEA tables but I was worried about how they would react to moisture and humidity. PVC pipe and connectors seems like a good choice. 

I’m now thinking the same set up but with drippers and run to waste. 

It’s for a mate and he wants it as simple as possible. Less room for error with run to waste. 

3 hours ago, Kev.k said:

I was even looking at IKEA tables, but I was worried about how they would react to moisture and humidity.

Generally I hate their stuff, but I have had that table at least 5 years and it's often had over 100l of clay pebbles and around 40l of water on top of it and I've never had any concerns about its structural integrity. I don't think they make that one any more, but they pop up on places like freecycle from time to time.

Edited by Mischief-Crew
syntax
1 person likes this

@Mischief-Crew so the pump in the res moves the water up to the table, but how does it drain it?.  

30 minutes ago, Ranec said:

@Mischief-Crew so the pump in the res moves the water up to the table, but how does it drain it?.  

Just gravity, when the pump turns off the water empties back into the res.

1 person likes this

Beautifully simple system :yep: