Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dodgee

Global Population

Okay wasn't sure where to put this but I think it kinda falls under the bracket of politics.

I often see global population brought up during discussions on environment, often touted as a good reason to do nothing as "we're fucked anyway".

Well I came across this video and it's really interesting and informative and puts a few myths to bed.

Hope folks take the time to watch it and absorb the information.

Hope you enjoy

Atb dodge

1 person likes this

This is a tricky one. I think there is reason to panic. 

(The guy sounds like a less haggard Werner Herzog)

Populations are still going to rise for decades and it's in those decades that we will struggle the most - not in the future. If we can't increase our food supply by 30-50% in the next 30-40 years we're pretty fucked. On top of that we have to completely reorganise how we produce food AND build better distribution networks or producing more food simply will not matter. This is just one of many resource based issues we will face. 

Yes, if you ask someone who studies populations they will tell you (or the article you read earlier) we will eventually see a decline. This is thought the be long after we are going to see the above problems though. 

Also, the people studying populations are using data regarding birth rates, not fertility. In countries where larger families are more common - actual fertility rates are still higher than in western countries. Also, if the above should happen... more of these families will revert to having numerous children to compensate for higher death rates from e.g. even poorer healthcare. 

Population and population distribution are going to be problems. Catastrophically so I think. 

1 person likes this

@Nervous

Did you watch the video??

I would agree population distribution is gonna be a problem at some point.  Mainly due to climate change though.

All the data suggests that population will peak at 10 billion before the end of the century. The planets resources can sustain that level of population indefinitely providing adequate investment in sustainable technology is met.

I think population migration may cause problems but in the end it will balance out. 

America for instance could sustain alot more than its current 1 billion. When Asia hits 3 billion and Africa another 3 billion there's gonna need to be some movement of people.. Obviously that won't sit well with certain sections of society but fuck them.  

The planet if utilised properly can sustain us all.

Personally I found the video quite inspiring.

If you haven't watched it all I would encourage you to do so.

It might not be as bleak as you imagine :yinyang:

2 people like this

I was concerned at 15min in i was too baked for this, glad i stuck with it.  I like to think that dude still has the protective wrapping on his bike :yinyang:

2 people like this

24 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Did you watch the video??

I did indeed, it does give some reason to hold out hope. I just think there's definitely one reason or another to panic over lol too many things inextricably linked to population to make it a factor on its own. 

Aye, it's pretty clear places like 'Murica aren't going to open their borders anytime soon. Have you looked at the map of which equatorial countries will be virtually uninhabitable by 2100 (and many before that time)? They will be forced to move or die. 

I just think that all the estimations are probably shaky at best. When he's talking about people moving out of extreme poverty, he's not factoring in the unknowable. Who (apart from the Chinese - allegedly) knew Covid was coming mid last year for example? 

I just see too many similarities between us and island populations who died out. 

2 people like this

55 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

The planet if utilised properly can sustain us all.

Yes , that's true , I'm not sure how likely it is looking at what we've done so far

3 people like this

I agree with Nervous, we are where we are because we discovered oil, when the wells run dry the world will be in chaos,civil unrest , populations will be wiped out. oil has given us intensive farming , it runs machines that enable us to farm vast amounts of land where trees once stood, 10 billian tons of plastic have been made since its invention, most of it is in the sea and landfill now. i don't think the geezer in the film has thought it through. All the nonsence about renewables won't save the worlds population. Everything in your house , even building cities needs billions of tons of oil to create them. We went from bows and arrows to neclear weapons. Slash and burn policys aronnd  the world on a vast scale have been made possible because of oil. , when its gone the population will probably go back to what it was in the 1800s, with no means of farming and nothing on the planet to to replace it. The oil age will soon be over, probably by the end of the century, i'm glad i won't be here.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, the punter said:

when its gone the population will probably go back to what it was in the 1800s,

There’s a whole world of pain in that sentence.

26 minutes ago, the punter said:

The oil age will soon be over, probably by the end of the century

if it's not over in the next 20 years i think we all might see the results depending on our ages, i'm 51

1 person likes this

its a depressing thought Gimps. ratdog has a very serious point, i'm 54 and i don't  think over 90 million barrels a day can go on much longer, so it could well be in our lifetime. They only find 1 barrell for every 3 used