Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

irwit

Protecting from bugs and root rot in soil help!

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,  I just read the following reply in here about growing in soil.  

"

Remember bugs and root rot are public enemy No1 so I'd recommend an enzyme product to break down dead root mass... And keep a watchful eye on potential bugs... Best to keep us updated.

"

Is there anything more specific I can look into for this issue?    I'm starting my first grow next week following this guide and this isn't mentioned as an issue to look out for?

Edited by Owderb
Link removed

Root rot is caused by not having enough air/drainage in the media, which helps root rot-causing organisms to thrive. This can be caused by media being too cold, wet or dense or some combination of those three. These organisms in spore form exist everywhere, so don't create the conditions for them to multiply in your media.

1 person likes this

@catweazle1 many thanks for the reply.    So if you did get an issue like this,   what are the enzyme products being suggested? 

do you have root rot then? it's not mentioned here very often at all

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

do you have root rot then? it's not mentioned here very often at all

Ive not started the grow yet,  Ive just joined this forum and saw it mentioned in another post but there was no reply as to which product to treat it .  It made me question if soil is the right route 

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, irwit said:

Ive not started the grow yet,  Ive just joined this forum and saw it mentioned in another post but there was no reply as to which product to treat it .  It made me question if soil is the right route 

Just make sure your dirt drains well and your environment is not too humid. I don't use enzymes in coco, so comment on those.

Edited by catweazle1

28 minutes ago, irwit said:

i've been a soil grower for a long time and never had root problems, just make sure there's a good wet and dry watering cycle and that root temps are satisfactory and i would forget about rot.

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i've been a soil grower for a long time and never had root problems, just make sure there's a good wet and dry watering cycle and that root temps are satisfactory and i would forget about rot.

Many thanks for the reply

" good wet and dry watering cycle and that root temps are satisfactory "

on these ones.   can you recommend a good wet and dry cycle?    

also what temps are recommended? 

3 minutes ago, irwit said:

Many thanks for the reply

" good wet and dry watering cycle and that root temps are satisfactory "

on these ones.   can you recommend a good wet and dry cycle?    

also what temps are recommended? 

20-25c in soil.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, irwit said:

can you recommend a good wet and dry cycle?

there's only one mate, you get used to the weight of pots when they need watering but not overly dry, then you saturate leaving in run off for about 20 mins, then ditch run off and repeat.

temps should be around 20oC ideally all year round, no lower if can be helped. i use a heat mat to maintain this

1 person likes this

What ratdog says. Soil for over 10 yrs all seasons never had root rot

58 minutes ago, junglehaze said:

What ratdog says. Soil for over 10 yrs all seasons never had root rot

Thats good to hear! 

Random one.  Once the plant has grown,  what to do with the soil in the pot ? 

Depends where you're living. In the city? Bike ride with a backpack full of soil to dump somewhere. Likely a few trips.. done that.

Or just a layer in the garden, friends or neighbours garden.

Not driving around with a shitload of used soil. You're mad. See some fucking idiots on those traffic cop things. Total stealth here

If we get pulled

We ain't goin home today

RIP Black the Ripper

29 minutes ago, irwit said:

Once the plant has grown,  what to do with the soil in the pot ? 

i grow veg so i make compost