Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Green_bhoy

Ph and Ec. First time with coco.

17 posts in this topic

Hello fellow growers.

I'm jumping into coco for my next grow. I have a ph pen and tds/ec pen. I have tested my water and this is what my pens are showing.

Ph = 8.5

Tds/ Ec = 0812 us/cm

Will I need to convert the reading I got on my Ec pen? This is where I'm stuck.

I mixed up 1 litre batch of nutes just for a tester. I added 1ml of rhizotonic then added 1ml each of coco A+B in that order.

I tested the Ph and it was at 6.9. I dont have Ph down yet but I used vinegar. Drop at a time I got it to 5.9-6.0.

I tested the Tds/Ec and it showed 4373us/cm.

Am I doing this right?

I'll be growing from seed. Not cracked them yet but I want to better understand Ph and Ec. It's the reading on my Ec pen that's got me stumped.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Are you sure you are reading ec and not tds? What EC pen do you have?

Edited by catweazle1
2 people like this

41 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Are you sure you are reading ec and not tds? What EC pen do you have?

It's one of them cheap white ones. I'll try load a picture of it

1 person likes this

large.Screenshot_20200711-200633_Gallery.jpg

30 minutes ago, Green_bhoy said:

It's one of them cheap white ones. I'll try load a picture of it

1 person likes this

40/50 quid min spend for each pen pal

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

40/50 quid min spend for each pen pal

Buy cheap buy twice is the saying haha

Just now, Green_bhoy said:

Buy cheap buy twice is the saying haha

The base water ec reading  seems somewhat too high and the one with nutes in is way too high. Do you live in a soft water or hard water area?

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

The base water ec reading  seems somewhat too high and the one with nutes in is way too high. Do you live in a soft water or hard water area?

West of scotland. Should be soft water I'm sure

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Green_bhoy said:

Then I'm afraid your meter is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I could point you to one about 30 quid if you want. Here's a primer on ec:

EC is a measure  of conductivity of the solution. This conductivity can tell us how much dissolved  ionic solids are in the water. 1 uS/cm (microsiemen) is 1000th of a Siemen, so your base water reading of 0812 uS/cm is 0.8 Siemens or 0.8EC., ignoring the last two digits. Does that make sense?

e2A The meter can be bought for 22 quid on the bay. HM Digital EC-3. A Blue Lab Truncheon would be the ideal for mixing up but it's 70-80 quid. I have both of these.

Edited by catweazle1

Hi, your pen is defo reading too high, both initially and with your mix. Id say around 4x too high. 

The 1ml mix you made should be more around the 1000 mark depending on base water.

The genuine HM pen is currently on Amazon for 13, amongst the copies. its cheapest of the budget ones but they're only good to get you through and lucky if reliable for long or as you found, if at all.

6 minutes ago, Claro said:

Hi, your pen is defo reading too high, both initially and with your mix. Id say around 4x too high. 

The 1ml mix you made should be more around the 1000 mark depending on base water.

The genuine HM pen is currently on Amazon for 13, amongst the copies. its cheapest of the budget ones but they're only good to get you through and lucky if reliable for long or as you found, if at all.

Providing a meter is correct in the first place, I think maintenance is key to preserving consistency. Rinsing the probe in distilled/deionized water after washing should keep it good for a while.

My friend has given me a ec pen and calibration fluid. I have now calibrated the pen. 

The new ec pen readings are:

Ec from my tap reads 154 uS/cm.

The solution I made up reads 813 uS/cm.

My old pen was reading 0812 uS/cm from the tap.

The solution was 4373uS/cm.

Does this sound right?

On 11/07/2020 at 8:54 PM, catweazle1 said:

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Green_bhoy said:

My friend has given me a ec pen and calibration fluid. I have now calibrated the pen. 

The new ec pen readings are:

Ec from my tap reads 154 uS/cm.

The solution I made up reads 813 uS/cm.

My old pen was reading 0812 uS/cm from the tap.

The solution was 4373uS/cm.

Does this sound right?

The calibrating solution package should tell you what the ec is of it. 154uS/cm sounds a lot better.

Edited by catweazle1
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

The calibrating solution package should tell you what the ec is of it. 154uS/cm sounds a lot better.

I used the 1413 us/cm calibration. Used the small screwdriver to calibrate it to the right number.

What ec should I start my seedlings at?

0.6 - 0.8 ?

Thanks for replys :yep:

1 person likes this

You should be good to go then. 0.6 should be ok. I would recommend you don't use any other additives than what you have in your list now... and  bloom nutes, for later I presume. Keep it simple.

1 person likes this