Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ROCKSTEADY6

Pump, wave maker & reservoir

17 posts in this topic

Hi all. I need advice from you auto feeding gurus. I have seen your large flowers and am getting lazier day by day. 

Main reason is holiday. I wanted to buy top quality so it can not just be a holiday feed system. My feeds are about 3L per day so was thinking a 25L res but I have seen people say go big as it’s easier to control??   Maybe I got that round the wrong way.

Any pointed on top quality air pumps or wave makers for aeration and another for pumping the juice to the plants via a timer. @SYZYGY @badbillybob @tokenroll I have shamelessly tagged you as I know this is your forte. Also bill I know you use those flip top for pots. Could one be used for res as it would fit my cupboard nicely? Any help greatly appreciated. 

2 people like this

Good day @ROCKSTEADY6 :oldtoker:

My only experience with auto-feeding is in pure coco, which has excellent drainage and is quite happy being kept constantly wet. You're in soil, right?

If I were in the dirt, I'd be using a Blumat system as favoured by some of the organic growers here. @blackpoolbouncer's current diary is a masterclass. 

3 people like this

Autopot would also be good for soil.

1 person likes this

Thanks to both of you for your replies. The autopot system looks like i would need to buy the pots and what they sit in which I am not that keen on. @SYZYGY you are right and I should have asked the soil guys first. Ok then @blackpoolbouncer and @icki can you please show me a pic of the blumats you use as i know they vary and also answer a few questions?  Can you please let me know how you keep your reservoir aerated? Can you feed organic feed through blumats or is it non organic? 

Sorry for my questions as I know you have discussed these blumats before. My worry is going away and them malfunctioning and 25L ending up on my bathroom floor. I don't want a drain to waste system so the plants need to drink what ever is fed to them. 

Cheers for any replies as I know you are all busy. Anyone else using blumats please feel welcome to chime in. All the best for now. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just still plain water in my reservoir.

Non organic feed or the lines will block,,quicker than salt based feeds.

Ive raised my pot on the tray which can hold a fair amount of run off which I handy with my haphazard regime sometimes.

From experience it is difficult to flood you space, if you follow the instructions.Its when you dabble after things could catch you out.

Ill have a look for a pic but its the short carrots I was used.Same as BPB I think.

Edited by icki
2 people like this

Hey dude.

This post in my diary covers a bit. Have a read around that page. I explained everything there to set unity up.

These are the carrots you want. Yes. That is a hill of roots rising up above and growing out of the compost. 

large.IMG_20200711_4184.jpg

Organic feed is a no go. I just use a little fish tank pump circulating in a 30l reservoir. Outlet for res is set just above the pint the little water pump runs dry so if I forget to top up no harm done. 

It's all very easy mate 

3 people like this

Hi guys,

@blackpoolbouncer also converted me over the blumat way of growing, in fact I only just finished setting up the second half of my tent with them last night.  I find my plants now grow quicker and look much healthier using the blumats than when I used to hand water, I know this is only because I'm too much of a slacker to keep them accurately hydrated, but blumat's are soo piss easy all you have to do is dial them in once and you're good to go :yep: 

Many thanks once again @blackpoolbouncer, your awesum diary changed how I grow :)

I got my kit online from bloomling, they are pretty well priced and showed me some really good CS, they ain't hard to find.

6 hours ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

My feeds are about 3L per day

Keep in mind the blumat system will feed your plants as much as they want, so your usage may change from this.  If you also are away for a length of time your plants could also get bigger and drink more.

4 people like this

@unity @blackpoolbouncer  @icki thanks for the quick replies. I really appreciate it as I want to order them ASAP. Also the reservoir. That root picture is immense. I am just going to copy your method with the outlet as seems an excellent method. Thanks for the tip unity on the feeding, I will try and upgrade to a 30L tank but its fitting it in the cupboard that is proving difficult as they are all cylinder shape. I need a box reservoir if they exist.....? Thanks again for your help. 

4 people like this

5 minutes ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

I need a box reservoir if they exist.....?

If you can't find anything try one of those storage boxes you can drill a hole big enough for the drip line and pop a grommet in the hole, I've got a couple of the big tubs in the garden set up like this for drip feeding my toms.

3 people like this

@ROCKSTEADY6 

1 person likes this

@Exhale blumat actually make their own tank connector that only costs a couple of quid.  It requires a 12mm drill, and fits the hosing which blumat supply.  Maybe putting pieces together diy works better for some, but I found it easy just using blumat's kit.

Only exception is the filter, I spent about £7 at a local car parts outlet on a decent 8mm washable filter (this also was a recommendation in BPB's diary :)

2 people like this

1 hour ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

@unity @blackpoolbouncer  @icki thanks for the quick replies. I really appreciate it as I want to order them ASAP. Also the reservoir. That root picture is immense. I am just going to copy your method with the outlet as seems an excellent method. Thanks for the tip unity on the feeding, I will try and upgrade to a 30L tank but its fitting it in the cupboard that is proving difficult as they are all cylinder shape. I need a box reservoir if they exist.....? Thanks again for your help. 

Google camper van water res.....ill have a look at my emails later.Spent ages sorting one for the cupboard,then put it in my office above the cupboard.lol

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Exhale said:

If you can't find anything try one of those storage boxes you can drill a hole big enough for the drip line and pop a grommet in the hole, I've got a couple of the big tubs in the garden set up like this for drip feeding my toms.

I am really glad you mentioned that. One question though, does the box need to be airtight as most aren't and can it be see through or should it not be transparent ?

3 hours ago, unity said:

@Exhale blumat actually make their own tank connector that only costs a couple of quid.  It requires a 12mm drill, and fits the hosing which blumat supply.  Maybe putting pieces together diy works better for some, but I found it easy just using blumat's kit.

Only exception is the filter, I spent about £7 at a local car parts outlet on a decent 8mm washable filter (this also was a recommendation in BPB's diary :)

Hi unity. Can I ask if you went for the full kit for about £175 or got the part individually? Just don't think I will need the full kit but also don't want to miss a necessary item. 

2 hours ago, icki said:

Spent ages sorting one for the cupboard,then put it in my office above the cupboard.

Thanks Icki, I already had a look at some camper van ones that were about £60 for 25L and they were a possibility. What you mention above will 100% be me. 

Thanks again for your input. Really appreciated. 

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

does the box need to be airtight

No, if it's airtight the water won't leave the res with gravity feed, I usually pop a hole in the lid.

1 person likes this

Cant take credit for the filter, I dont use one on my system. Never even crossed my mind but is a good idea. 

I just started with a clean res and used a dedicated clean bucket for filling and so far so good. 

Note to self, buy a filter lol 

1 person likes this