Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FlowwolF

Help needed learning how wet to keep my coco! (Not a hydro Q!)

Not a hydro or a weed growing Q this - I've started using coco as the main component of an organic based living compost/'soil'.

I didn't think I needed to learn new ways.

It turns out I need to learn new ways!

I always ran a fairly deep w/d cycle, even with my toms and chiles and sunflowers and stuff, but it seems coco doesn't like this, then folk tell me coco doesn't like this, but no one has explained yet what I need to be aiming for?

So folks, if ya please, what's the deal with coco and keeping it wet?

Cheers me dears!

',;~}~

FW

Pretty sure coco is a form of hydro mate although in reality it kinda feels like it falls somewhere inbetween :yep:

Tho I do grow in coco the way I grow would probably not be recommended lol so maybe better waiting for some o them that do it right wi E.C pens an the like for a proper answer mate

I do the blot test. Fold up some tissue and press it against the coco. If it soaks up lots of water, it's fine. If it comes off dry - you need to water. 

If you're not keen on that you should just go by the rule: never let your coco dry so much that the top turns a lighter colour. 

2 people like this

you need to keep your coco moist all the time, mulching helps this, with clay pebbles, sand, gravel, perlite..top couple of inches of your pots.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@McHazy Coco in itself is an inert medium. So you decide if it becomes hydro/mineral, organic or organic/mineral based.

If you go hydro, you would need a wet/dry cycle, from what I understand.

When treating coco with organic nutrients, you would need an active ‚soil’ life to break them down. In this case you  would need to keep your medium wet to a certain degree.

Organic/Mineral is something I‘m still figuring out.

Edited by Renard

On 10/07/2020 at 4:19 PM, Nervous said:

I do the blot test. Fold up some tissue and press it against the coco. If it soaks up lots of water, it's fine. If it comes off dry - you need to water. 

If you're not keen on that you should just go by the rule: never let your coco dry so much that the top turns a lighter colour. 

Bang on. My week old plant is growing super vigurously. I water it 4 times a day when lights on! *Halo ring drip system*

Never let coco dry, and always always always make sure there is good amount of run off. Youre replacing the nutrients in the coco everytime its watered. thats your goal with coco.

4 people like this

On 10/07/2020 at 4:02 PM, McHazy said:

Pretty sure coco is a form of hydro mate although in reality it kinda feels like it falls somewhere inbetween :yep:

Tho I do grow in coco the way I grow would probably not be recommended lol so maybe better waiting for some o them that do it right wi E.C pens an the like for a proper answer mate

But I am using it as a base for a living soil, with organic solids in there, worms and micro-life. That's not hydro! Compost and mineral fertilisers - now that's hydro! ',;~}~

1 person likes this

On 10/07/2020 at 9:13 PM, Renard said:

@McHazy Coco in itself is an inert medium. So you decide if it becomes hydro/mineral, organic or organic/mineral based.

If you go hydro, you would need a wet/dry cycle, from what I understand.

When treating coco with organic nutrients, you would need an active ‚soil’ life to break them down. In this case you  would need to keep your medium wet to a certain degree.

Organic/Mineral is something I‘m still figuring out.

----

Cheers bud - yeah I am familiar with organic growing principles, it's what I used to best effect up until I had to quit the indoor game, so here the coco fibre is just the base/fibrous bulk for a living soil with microlife and decomposing organic matter included.

The problem seems to be, that due to how coco holds water and provides aeration, that it can't be allowed to (almost) dry out like most composts or soil bases, without causing the plant to suffer.

I just had this sprung on me and am trying to get a handle on where the new line is to be drawn re: how wet it needs to be kept.

Think I'm getting the picture now though!

',;~}~

On 11/07/2020 at 6:26 PM, Haduken420 said:

Bang on. My week old plant is growing super vigurously. I water it 4 times a day when lights on! *Halo ring drip system*

Never let coco dry, and always always always make sure there is good amount of run off. Youre replacing the nutrients in the coco everytime its watered. thats your goal with coco.

I hear ya, but like I said in other replies I'm using the coco as a 'soil' base, so most of the nutes are in there (worm castings etc.) slowly being broken down by the microlife, although I'm supplimenting with comfrey/nettle/horseshit 'teas' I am not going to be replacing all the nutes each watering.

Cheers!

1 person likes this

On 10/07/2020 at 4:19 PM, Nervous said:

Perfect - I think this has me covered and gives me a good starting point!

If I don't get it right though I'll end up back to sphagnum base by next year.

Cheers!

2 people like this