Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pothead11

Cheap bud vaporizer

164 posts in this topic

Can you pin point your heating area on the cap with induction heaters? So you can control different temps.

Posted (edited)

No you can't and that is something to consider . Definitely looking forward to trying it though . And quite cheap to build . I'm vaping leaves this evening not too potent but better than the alternative . Might be able to get something tomorrow if I'm lucky . 

Edited by pothead11

I intend to use all of the plant apart from the stalks from now on . All of the leaves will get used . They're better than CBD anyway .

Posted (edited)

I would like to see the UK become the best place on Earth and it probably is but why won't they just legalize the weed . 

I think we need a new political party . Legalise the weed UK . 

Edited by pothead11

@pothead11 Just a heads up. You need to make sure you get an adequate power supply. Mine is a 12v 5amp laptop style brick.

That is a little below what I'd say is the minimum in my opinion 

120w divided by 12v = 10amps max

But you're not gonna be using that much to heat a Vapcap so they say a good quality 6amp or a cheap 8amp supply will suffice .

You can't pinpoint the heating like a single torch jet but you can mess with....

the diameter of the coil 

the length of the coil

the thickness of the coil wire 

the thickness of your glass or other materials for the tube

the insertion depth into or out of the other end of the coil

the voltage to the circuit 

.... to change where and how intensely it heats.

I would test the components on the board are correct, soldered the right way round, and working when it arrives as I know some builders have had so many issues now production has increased to meet the demand for these cheap boards, they just replace some of the components now without even bothering to test them any more.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

will 5 amp do it I've been looking at 12v 10amp 120w and they're about 15 quid . I will check out the 6 amp . Thanks .

Edited by pothead11

Just purchased a 12v 6amp supply for 3.99 including delivery . They estimate 1st to 10th September but I'm thinking way earlier (hopefully). Don't know where it is coming from. 

Posted (edited)

I'm no electronics expert so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

My understanding is that the maximum rating of these heaters is 120 watts. By supplying a lower amperage the device delivers a less than maximum wattage. I'm not sure why we need them to run at their maximum rating.

When I was looking into these heaters I watched a video where a guy was detailing tips on their use and one of them related to gently heating by pausing for a couple of seconds suggesting the heater may actually be a little too powerful.

I've experimented with that with mine. Seems to work well at getting the thing up to a higher temperature on the first blast by allowing the heat to spread more evenly before the cap clicks. I do not normally bother with this though.

I'm perfectly happy with how mine works and just put it in and press the button till she clicks.

You can also hold the button for a second or so beyond the clicks to get a hotter blast too of course. Too long and you're into combustion.

Edit: Presumably when you are running these things at 9 volts and from batteries they are not putting out the full 120 watts either.

I tried mine with a couple of much lower amperage 12 volt power supplies I have and the VapCap would just get luke warm. It could make a paper clip glow though ;-)

Edited by Wacky Wardrobe
Extra info.

Still got to find some glass or something . I'll make that my job today.

10 hours ago, pothead11 said:

No you can't and that is something to consider . Definitely looking forward to trying it though . And quite cheap to build . I'm vaping leaves this evening not too potent but better than the alternative . Might be able to get something tomorrow if I'm lucky . 

Are those leaves from a previous harvest or snipped off the plant early?  It's drier than a nun's crack in here and I have a 6 week old auto which I'm eyeing up with a view to sampling once my Dynavap arrives.  Am I too early?  (first grow)

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

I'm no electronics expert so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

My understanding is that the maximum rating of these heaters is 120 watts. By supplying a lower amperage the device delivers a less than maximum wattage. I'm not sure why we need them to run at their maximum rating.

When I was looking into these heaters I watched a video where a guy was detailing tips on their use and one of them related to gently heating by pausing for a couple of seconds suggesting the heater may actually be a little too powerful.

I've experimented with that with mine. Seems to work well at getting the thing up to a higher temperature on the first blast by allowing the heat to spread more evenly before the cap clicks. I do not normally bother with this though.

I'm perfectly happy with how mine works and just put it in and press the button till she clicks.

You can also hold the button for a second or so beyond the clicks to get a hotter blast too of course. Too long and you're into combustion.

Edit: Presumably when you are running these things at 9 volts and from batteries they are not putting out the full 120 watts either.

I tried mine with a couple of much lower amperage 12 volt power supplies I have and the VapCap would just get luke warm. It could make a paper clip glow though ;-)

Voltdrop, better practice to lower voltage. From Pipes @ FC, better than the story I would write.

To lower the heat, it's better to lower the voltage or insertion depth rather than trying to play with the output current rating. What you are actually doing is trying to use the voltage drop which happens as you approach the supplies upper current limit.
The 5 amp supply is weaker because we are sitting near the upper current rating and the supply is actually dropping it's voltage down. Now supplies have different ways they act as approaching the upper limit. Some are absolute and cut out at there rated limit. Whereas, others will go past there limit briefly without problem as well as lower the voltage to maintain their rated "power" like 60 watts. Which is what the old 5 amp unit is.
Once a supplies rated current is passed what the device needs, a higher rating doesn't affect anything. Just un-used supplies power capability.
I suggest using a spacer from either cork or a piece cut from a silicone oven mitt. A 12mm circle is what is needed. The higher you go the slower to click. However, if you go too high, you will encounter uneven heating.
Now @TommyDee will lean towards lowering the voltage. Actually, the easiest way for this is to introduce a little load in series by adding a DC extender cable in the mix. A 4-foot AWG 20 length extension cable to extend the DC cord with 5.5x2.1mm connectors would suffice I bet.

Eta. Its been mentioned more than once in this very thread about investing from DynaVap themselves. Its just not worth the couple quid saving for knockoffs.

Please think of your health instead of your money when investing in a vape :doh: .. if you cant afford it. Save, we all have too.

Edited by stickyblack
5 people like this

57 minutes ago, stickyblack said:

Voltdrop, better practice to lower voltage.

Interesting. Cool. Cheers.

I might try the extender cable idea as a simple approach plus, who wouldn't mind a little extra length :-) , but for now everything works as intended even if it's not ideal for the power supply. I'm guessing the mismatch is probably not too injurious though as the running time is so short. Six seconds max?

@BudJ They are leaves I cut off while pruning a couple of days ago . Would not really recommend it but desperate measures and all that . The last lot I put in the microwave for ten seconds then another ten seconds etc until they were just right . You will get something off them but not much. 

@BudJ They are leaves I cut off while pruning a couple of days ago . Would not really recommend it but desperate measures and all that . The last lot I put in the microwave for ten seconds then another ten seconds etc until they were just right . You will get something off them but not much. 

1 person likes this