Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MindSoup

Cheapest Effective Lighting

Hey guys

I'm considering starting a wee micro grow, h700mm w360mm d550mm and trying to figure out the cheapest way of getting some effective lighting going. what would be my best bet ? I was thinking CFL but have been told it will probably be too hot.

I've heard of people using household LED bulbs, is this worth bothering with or am i better of buying something more task specific? 

Would be great to hear from people with first hand knowledge with micro grows of a similar size. what lights, extraction setup etc, how much of a yield I might expect. What possibly unsuspected issues I might face. Thinking of using the silica gel in a sealed box drying method as adopted by some of my fellow outdoor geezas so i can free up the space for constant growing, not sure if one bigger plant LSTd would be better than maybe 2 smaller ones. Any Ingenious thrifty ideas would be amazing because I am always tight for money. 

Thanks mate I'll have a read through it. 

So turns out the qx75 is out of stock and will be for quite some time. So I'm looking for an alternative. Either a super cheap solution to tide me over or something of the equivalent quality , price and output.

Can't say how effective this will be yet since i've only had it set up for a couple of days, but you can get a set of 6 GU 5.3 5W LED daylight lamps, the sockets and the transformer off Amazon for about 30 quid.  I bought a second set today because being spotlights, they're a bit directional so you won't get even coverage unless you increase the height to the top of your plants a bit, so now i'm running 12 of them with 2 transformers.  I was going to use it as a clone/seedling cupboard, and they seem happy so far.  Tempted to put my NL Blue auto in there on 18/6 instead of keeping it under my 400w at 12/12 (it's in with photos so not much choice), but no idea of what the lux levels actually are and whether that would work.

1 hour ago, OnTheWire said:

but no idea of what the lux levels actually are and whether that would work

The lux levels won't be an issue, but the PAR level's most likely would be.  Highly unlikely those daylight lamps will give out enough red side of the spectrum for flower - I could be totally wrong here mind, but I'd look elsewhere for a flower option.

@OnTheWire have you actually seen this light produce before?

I am using E40 120w led corn lamps in a very small grow with good results.

9 hours ago, unity said:

The lux levels won't be an issue, but the PAR level's most likely would be.  Highly unlikely those daylight lamps will give out enough red side of the spectrum for flower - I could be totally wrong here mind, but I'd look elsewhere for a flower option.

@OnTheWire have you actually seen this light produce before?

No I haven't seen it produce, it's been set up for less than a week, so i'm kind of in unfamiliar territory.  I only wanted it as a seedling/veg/clone area originally because most of my old fluorescent tubes I used to use weren't working anymore, but it got me thinking.  I could always swap some or all of the LEDs out for warm white GU5.3 lamps if I wanted a bit more red in the spectrum for flowering, they do them in 2800K as well as the 6000K i'm using at the moment.

1 person likes this

Thanks for advice guys. I emded up going for the invisibke sun 120watt panel in the end. Its a bit more than I wanted to pay but its the dogs nads and runs so cool mybplants cam get really close. Unfortunately the extractor fan I ordered is a dud so will be a few more days before I can get the thing running.