Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mystery_420

What fan and filter combo for maximum smell reduction while being quiet?

Hi everyone,

So I have done some research regarding this. From reading, it seems I should oversize the fan and filter so that I can use a fan controller to reduce the speed to reduce the noise. And the fan needs to account for losing some power due to ducting and the filter.

The grow space will be a 1x1x2m tent. It is really important that as minimal smell is produced as possible, while keeping it as quiet as possible.

My grow space is 2m³ and I think I should aim to exchange the air exchange of 3-4 times a minute to make sure the smell is completely dealt with. Is that sufficient or should I exchange at an even higher rate?

The fans and filters I've looked at are:

Fans

• TD-SILENT 500/150 - this provides 500m³ per hour which is 8.3 exchanges per minute at full setting with no filter - says it is 22db at 3m  - this fan doesn't mention cfm
  • Cloudline S6 EC exhaust fan (With Speed controller) - this is 683m3 and says 32db 

Filters

• paired with a Mountain Air Carbon Filter 150mm X 500mm - 6 Inch ( 580m3/Hr )
  • G.A.S CarboAir 50 Carbon Filter 150x330 600 M/3

They will also be used with a silencer, and a fan controller for the TD-Silent (which fan controller should I be looking at?)

The other ones I've seen are:Gorilla box type fans, but I Think i would need a huge one as they lose pressure?

Has anyone got any experience with any of this equipment? Have I specced the right size or should I go even bigger?

Are there any other fans or filters I should be looking at?

Thanks! Hopefully I am almost there with this build!

Hey, how's it going. I'm actually in a position similar to yours.

I'm going to be growing in a gorilla shorty tent, it's a 2x4x5 tent. 

I bought the AC Infinity Cloudline T6, which is the same version you're considering, except with the digital controller. I haven't installed my setup but I've ran the fan without any ducting connected. I bought it from the site's sponsor, DIYLED. I'm more than delighted with it.  At its lowest setting, it runs at about 32dB. This is without any ducting connected which would further attenuate the level. Most of the noise from the fan is generated by the actual sound of air moving, rather than say the typical hum from an AC motor (obviously because the fan uses PWM). it's noise footprint is much more white noise than annoying tones and hums.  For example, at about 30% fan speed, it moves a really impressive amount of air and would peak around 42dB. Adding phonic ducting and a silencer (which I also plan to do) should take the fan down to a level comparable or just quieter than the circulating fans inside the tent. 

I purchased the Mountain Air 150x 500 too. It's sitting here in the box. Reviews seem great for it and I'm looking forward to using it. I just wanted something which can guarantee no odour once installed correctly. From reading online, the Mountain Air filters seem to outlast most others. Again, I think there are just as good, comparable brands (Try DIYLED again) like Carboair too. 

Like yourself, I'm coming at this very much a novice. I did grow before but it was several years ago and I'm looking to set myself up for the long term. I look forward to seeing your progress and wish you the best for it.

Have you decided on a strain/strains to grow? I'm going to plant 4 and try my hand at some LST training and SCROG. Undecided on strains yet

hope this helps

1 person likes this

I have the td silent with a 4a hybrid controller. The moving air in the ducting makes more noise than the fan, so with the silencer yours should be quieter still. The controller also makes a loud click when it adjusts the fan up or down a step.

I've had it all a good few years now though. So no idea how it compares with newer products

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Im at 48db sat on top of the 8" extraction unit.

I use phonic ducting and a rhino pro filter.

The numbers for sound they provide are the lowest possible recorded ones with perfect conditions.

I look forwards to hearing what results you get when running  sound meter app on your mobile phone.

Edited by Inspiration101
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, shnshn said:

Hey, how's it going. I'm actually in a position similar to yours.

I'm going to be growing in a gorilla shorty tent, it's a 2x4x5 tent. 

I bought the AC Infinity Cloudline T6, which is the same version you're considering, except with the digital controller. I haven't installed my setup but I've ran the fan without any ducting connected. I bought it from the site's sponsor, DIYLED. I'm more than delighted with it.  At its lowest setting, it runs at about 32dB. This is without any ducting connected which would further attenuate the level. Most of the noise from the fan is generated by the actual sound of air moving, rather than say the typical hum from an AC motor (obviously because the fan uses PWM). it's noise footprint is much more white noise than annoying tones and hums.  For example, at about 30% fan speed, it moves a really impressive amount of air and would peak around 42dB. Adding phonic ducting and a silencer (which I also plan to do) should take the fan down to a level comparable or just quieter than the circulating fans inside the tent. 

I purchased the Mountain Air 150x 500 too. It's sitting here in the box. Reviews seem great for it and I'm looking forward to using it. I just wanted something which can guarantee no odour once installed correctly. From reading online, the Mountain Air filters seem to outlast most others. Again, I think there are just as good, comparable brands (Try DIYLED again) like Carboair too. 

Like yourself, I'm coming at this very much a novice. I did grow before but it was several years ago and I'm looking to set myself up for the long term. I look forward to seeing your progress and wish you the best for it.

Have you decided on a strain/strains to grow? I'm going to plant 4 and try my hand at some LST training and SCROG. Undecided on strains yet

hope this helps

I've looked at the gorilla 90cmx90cm as it seems to be the thickest and have the best reviews on here. I did find a cheap BAY6 AW 1m x 1.5m Grow Tent which would be perfect size wise, but I think skimping on the tent will only give me a headache with smell

I've been debating strains but I think I'll grow Sensi Seeds Northern lights, Sweet Seeds Gorilla Girl.

If I can fit a full size third in, something like a Dinafem ocean grown cookies or blueberry cookies, maybe HSO Gorilla Breath or DNA Genetics Sorbet Collection Banana Sorbet haha, the third plant choice is making me struggle!

I also was really hoping i might be able to fit a small auto in to get some yield before the 2 or 3 main plants flower.

What strains are you going to go with? 

3 hours ago, Bubbles Depot said:

I have the td silent with a 4a hybrid controller. The moving air in the ducting makes more noise than the fan, so with the silencer yours should be quieter still. The controller also makes a loud click when it adjusts the fan up or down a step.

I've had it all a good few years now though. So no idea how it compares with newer products

How loud is it other than clicking?

3 hours ago, Inspiration101 said:

Im at 48db sat on top of the 8" extraction unit.

I use phonic ducting and a rhino pro filter.

The numbers for sound they provide are the lowest possible recorded ones with perfect conditions.

I look forwards to hearing what results you get when running  sound meter app on your mobile phone.

I'll definitely give you all a db update when it is all running!

1 person likes this