Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Punk#1

Dimmed 315w cmh for seedlings

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

No, @ratdog

That's a low shot, mate. 

Edited by KayDog
1 person likes this

12 hours ago, KayDog said:

No, @ratdog

That's a low shot, mate. 

that's what you told me

Get a (chat)room you two lol 

3 people like this

Always used to do 600w MH in large parabolics, couple foot above the seedlings.  Bought on thousands this way. Bright light straight from the off produces better plants IME, just keep humidity high. 

Was getting 41mm jiffy's rooted ready for planting in 10 days.  All soaked in quarter strength high N nutrient solution with hydrogen peroxide which is topped up in the trays once its evaporated by hand or an adjusted aquavalve.  

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Amarillo slim said:

Always used to do 600w MH in large parabolics, couple foot above the seedlings.  Bought on thousands this way. Bright light straight from the off produces better plants IME, just keep humidity high. 

Was getting 41mm jiffy's rooted ready for planting in 10 days.  All soaked in quarter strength high N nutrient solution with hydrogen peroxide which is topped up in the trays once its evaporated by hand or an adjusted aquavalve.  

Sounds dope!

You reckon I'm better off under the cmh from the off or use my random 70w mercury vapour?

9 minutes ago, Punk#1 said:

Sounds dope!

You reckon I'm better off under the cmh from the off or use my random 70w mercury vapour?

Depends what you put more value on, maximising growth or your electricity bill.  When I was using the 600s the whole footprints where seedlings so no waste of light, if your just starting a few then obviously most of the CMH's foot print will be empty and therefore a waste of electricity in some ways. So really its up to you to you.   My only input is that of high intensity from the off being preferable for optimal growth IME.  

I suppose dim down and closer to seedlings could be a compromise between the two extremes that wouldn't require getting another bulb from the loft> just speculating at this point as is totally down to you whats 'best'.  

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Depends what you put more value on, maximising growth or your electricity bill.  When I was using the 600s the whole footprints where seedlings so no waste of light, if your just starting a few then obviously most of the CMH's foot print will be empty and therefore a waste of electricity in some ways. So really its up to you to you.   My only input is that of high intensity from the off being preferable for optimal growth IME.  

I suppose dim down and closer to seedlings could be a compromise between the two extremes that wouldn't require getting another bulb from the loft> just speculating at this point as is totally down to you whats 'best'.  

Cool well nah leccy isn't a huge concern! Defo want to get these babies growing so yeah think I'll go down the dimmed route but just gotta figure out what's a good distance.

I'm thinking a couple of feet would suffice @50% 157w-ish

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Punk#1 said:

just gotta figure out what's a good distance.

Im not familiar with CMH, or sure if bulb is horizontal or vertical,  kind of reflector etc.   I guess leave it running a while then do the hand test. If in doubt go slight higher.  All a case of playing it by ear and feel IME.  Important thing is to not over extract, theres little need with seedlings as they require little Co2 or produce smell, so better to have nice warm high humidity in those early stages, helps them put on growth fast and deal with the heat and higher light levels.  Same with feeding, people always very concerned with over feeding and similarly hamper potential in the early stages out of caution or 'it only needs'.  Can't post pics here but you'd be amazed how far you can get a plant along in 7-10 days under optimal conditions.   

Edited by Amarillo slim
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Excuse the shit cropped pic, these where bought on as described with little to no input from me other than places seeds into plugs. Can't recall exactly but these where around the 10 day mark. Already on 7 bladed leaves in jiffy plugs. Given a 200ml pot of some nice Clover / Sinclair with bit of course perlite and obviously results increase again.  Seedlings can take the sun straight from the off, no idea why people seem to think they need low light in the beginning.

large.atta_049744_box.jpg

Edited by Amarillo slim
pic
3 people like this

Excuse the shit cropped pic, these where bought on as described with little to no input from me other than places seeds into plugs. Can't recall exactly but these where around the 10 day mark. Already on 7 bladed leaves in jiffy plugs. Given a 200ml pot of some nice Clover / Sinclair with bit of course perlite and obviously results increase again.  Seedlings can take the sun straight from the off, no idea why people seem to think they need low light in the beginning.

large.atta_049744_box.jpg

Cheers mate lots of good info there.

Always seems to me like the easiest part is the seedling stage but for me at least there's always room for improvement.

Humidity shouldn't be a problem, because it usually is a problem during harvest and drying time round here it's just so humid!

Those look amazing for 10 days

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Punk#1 said:

Cheers mate lots of good info there.

Always seems to me like the easiest part is the seedling stage but for me at least there's always room for improvement.

Humidity shouldn't be a problem, because it usually is a problem during harvest and drying time round here it's just so humid!

Those look amazing for 10 days

Just one way I found that worked well, plenty different ways to skin a cat..  

What CMH make are you using out of interest?  I looked into them a little last year and seems to get a good one it cost an arm and a leg..?  Ive got one 'cab' that I reckon a dimmed CMH could be perfect for. Got LED in there at the moment but just doesn't have the same penetration.   

2 people like this

@Amarillo slim

I got an adjustable Lumatek ballast, E40 adapter and 3100k lamp as a kit for about £180 from a certain auction site.

I was using this with an Adjustawings Enforcer, but then got a Maxibright Focus Remote CMH reflector for £60

The reflector is really good, Really even spread of light from it and it's very small at 30cm x 30cm

Bud quality is great from the CMH

I haven't tried LED so can't compare to that unfortunately

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Punk#1 said:

@Amarillo slim

I got an adjustable Lumatek ballast, E40 adapter and 3100k lamp as a kit for about £180 from a certain auction site.

I was using this with an Adjustawings Enforcer, but then got a Maxibright Focus Remote CMH reflector for £60

The reflector is really good, Really even spread of light from it and it's very small at 30cm x 30cm

Bud quality is great from the CMH

I haven't tried LED so can't compare to that unfortunately

Nice one, will check those out.  Although I can't help thinking that price seem too cheap haha

Ive not really used LEDS much, just couple grows with basic one from DIYled.  Ive got my eye on some newer ones from Australia iirc, look the dogs bollocks but very dear. Would love to do a side by side one day between same wattage/space of CMH, LED etc, different grow styles, clones etc.  Would be cool to see the exact differences.  

1 person likes this

Nice one, will check those out.  Although I can't help thinking that price seem too cheap haha

Ive not really used LEDS much, just couple grows with basic one from DIYled.  Ive got my eye on some newer ones from Australia iirc, look the dogs bollocks but very dear. Would love to do a side by side one day between same wattage/space of CMH, LED etc, different grow styles, clones etc.  Would be cool to see the exact differences.  

Yeah I'd love to be able to experiment more but just don't have that much money to try all the latest gear.. And I agree the cmh kit is expensive compared to hps but some of those led units also have some hefty price tags!

I guess it's just the tech involved and prices will come down as tech gets older.. But what's next.. Laser tech?

Anyway..

I've got my cmh hanging 20" above where my seedlings will be at 50% power and I'm only about 3c at seedling level above intake temp so I'm going to experiment and try to find a nice sweet spot before germing

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just a wee update the CMH is still doing well, Seedlings are 2 days old, CMH at 26" above and at 70% power so 220w and temps still great only raising intake temps by 2 or 3 degrees.

These seedlings have stayed so incredibly short though, about an inch above the Compost and staying low while just concentrating on leaf and root development instead of putting so much effort into stretching for light.

My seedlings usually stretch about 2 or 3 inches when I use HPS or my MV so yeah im loving this and my seedlings are too!

Edited by Punk#1
2 people like this