Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guggsy

Whats going wrong with these plants

35 posts in this topic
28 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If they are underwatered they should perk up after a small drink, if overwatered they won't. A small drink won't make the overwatering problem that much worse than it already is whereas it doesn't take much water to revive a dry plant.

That lawn is a disgrace. lol 

what's wrong with the lawn?

I will give them another water tomorrow morning. I fed and watered yesterday morning. while the weather is cool they shouldn't need watering that often.

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Guggsy said:

I haven't let the soil go to dry either. as when I want to feed them I need enough moisture so that feed can get right down to roots.

From the way this reads you're not watering through to run-off...You should feed with every watering and enough to create about 20% run-off.

This will flush out any unused nutrients and draw oxygen into the root zone, let the pot almost dry out before the next watering...

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, stu914 said:

From the way this reads you're not watering through to run-off...You should feed with every watering and enough to create about 20% run-off.

This will flush out any unused nutrients and draw oxygen into the root zone, let the pot almost dry out before the next watering...

cheers people. I will give it a go. I always thought in order to get run off you risk over watering. i'll check how dry it is tomorrow, before watering. I only feed once a week in case I get nute burn. I use half of what bottle says bottle says 3-5ml per litre I use 1.5ml per litre, as there auto's and not as big as normal plants. 

1 person likes this

It might help if you stood them on something that allows them to drip. 

Back in the day it was standard practice to water until it was running out of the bottom, that way you could be sure they had a good drink and if they could drip they wouldn't droop.

That border needs weeding too.

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Back in the day it was standard practice to water until it was running out of the bottom, that way you could be sure they had a good drink and if they could drip they wouldn't droop.

That border has strawberries growing in it, and that shrub is something I cut down last year. those grey slabs in the middle lead to a shed. sort of like stepping stones. i'll get the lawn to a higher standard for you folks next time. do you find it offensive, and hurting your eyes:thumsup: 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

If they are underwatered they should perk up after a small drink, if overwatered they won't. A small drink won't make the overwatering problem that much worse than it already is whereas it doesn't take much water to revive a dry plant.

That lawn is a disgrace. lol 

:)

1 hour ago, Bartyfartblast said:

Over watered methinks . Do what Sasquatch suggests ...and sort your lawn out ffs !!!  

:thumsup:

24 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

lol

9 hours ago, Guggsy said:

what's wrong with the lawn?

nothing ( a quick mow wouldnt improve) you should see mine lol 

have they allways been in those pots or have you recently potted them up?

2 hours ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

have they allways been in those pots or have you recently potted them up?

Always been in these pots. I start them in jiffy pucks then straight into final pots 11 litre. I also peel off the outer layer of the jiffy pucks before going into the pots, as I have noticed in previous years the outer layer of jiffy pucks restrict side root growth, and does not decompose.

3 hours ago, Bartyfartblast said:

nothing ( a quick mow wouldnt improve) you should see mine lol 

it was mowed a few days ago. it ain't that long. it grows quick for some reason.

14 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

It's either over or under watered. If the pots are always piss wet through they are over watered. If they are always on the dry side or not following a proper wet dry cycle by giving too little then they are under watered. 

Only you know this OP

E2a. Under watered I'm guessing looking at them 

Possibly over watered. due to the rain we had plus me feeding them.I looked at plants this morning and they seem a little perkier. maybe the wet dry cycle may help. so I didn't water them this morning, as the soil was still moist first knuckle down, i'll check again tomorrow. and post new pictures.

Under watered i think by looking at the drooping leaves i had same issue last week with this insane heat that came out of nowhere.

@Guggsy an 11l pot should take about 3 or 4 litres of water every 2 or 3 days. 

A sprinkler and a bit of rain rarely achieves this when the leaves divert most of the water away from getting to the compo.

I'm pretty condident it's under watered not the other way. 

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

@Guggsy an 11l pot should take about 3 or 4 litres of water every 2 or 3 days. 

A sprinkler and a bit of rain rarely achieves this when the leaves divert most of the water away from getting to the compo.

I'm pretty condident it's under watered not the other way. 

cheers Bud but here are some pictures I took today and as you can see looking a little perkier. I haven't watered today as soil still felt moist 1st knuckle down.

large.DSC_0097small.jpglarge.DSC_0101small.jpglarge.DSC_0098small.jpglarge.DSC_0099small.jpglarge.DSC_0100small.jpg

so the 1st two pics are of the droopy plants I had yesterday. no watering today. i'll see tomorrow how they look.

And before anyone mentions the lawn I know, but it ain't as bad as picture makes out.:P

are they on the slabs all day too?

maybe they get very warm and evaporate the water from the pots pretty quick in the direct sun we’ve been getting

I get around this with my tomatoes by have stones under the pot in washing up bowls or trays and have water in them.. 

e2+ pot not submerged, on top

Edited by twigs