Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

hopscotch123

First grow in five years but going more tech this time...

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

It’s been a long old time since I’ve been on here but after moving house I have an ideal room or space for a 2m x 1m or 2m x 1.5m tent.

lighting wise, I’m looking to possibly go for 2 x  315w CHM lights (if that’s enough) with the possibility of having some vertical LED corner lights?

In the past I have only grown with 2 x 400 HPS filters etc. Had Autos In soil and had mixed results, 2 out of 3 were about 0.35 to Watt (not great) and one just smoked like hay!? Too warm I think.

I am looking to either do a drip feed system/DWC (not an eBay one but more like IWS or Alien). I really like the look of the Alien 8 Pot XL EasyFeed System 30L by EasyFeed system but would probably go for a 1.5m x 1.5m tent? Would that be big enough?

For fans etc would go for the Rhino Pro with correct extractor, what’s the best brand at the moment?

I’m a property developer and also install home automation (Control4) since my last grow so this time I would like to be able to monitor the tents from my phone via VPN, I can do that part. I do know there is lots of solutions out there but I love tinkering and have Arduino’s, Raspberry Pi’s and breadboards around the workshop but would mainly looking for the following to monitor?

• Water / nutrient temp

• Water / PPI

• Water / PH

• Temp at root level (using multiple sensors)

• Temp at canopy level (using multiple sensors)

• Humidity

• Light Lux

• Anything else?

Ideally after the first grow would look at automating the following:

• Lights on/off
  • PH corrector
  • Nutrient (PPI) corrector
  • Temp corrector using fan speed controller
  • Humidity corrector using dehumidifier

Many thanks

3 people like this

@miserydrift does a lot of automation stuff

As for the lighting may I suggest contacting our resident LED supplier @diyleduk instead of lighting the corners with vertical strips why not forget about the CMH fixtures and just use LED, there's no fallout at the edges you can get very even lighting wall to wall.

5 people like this

Agree with @Exhale LED will give you great coverage. Diyleduk makes some stonking lights, you wont be disappointed. The wattage is the actual draw and not your 1000w advertised but only 200w draw you see with some LEDs. They usually come with dimmers so you can adjust through the grow and they give off less heat than an equivalent HPS etc.

For filters the best ones around are Carbo Air or Mountain Air. I use a phresh filter which I've had no issues with but have a mountain air waiting in the wings. Avoid Rhino filters, lots if stories about leakage on here. If you want an integrated fan with temp controller have a look at AC Infinity fans. A good remote sensor I use is a sensor push. You can chain a bunch of them if needed. If you want to monitor when away from home you can buy a gateway for them. I just use the sensors on their own. I hang it above the canopy.

Edited by ShiHanazono
3 people like this

I have worked in home automation, mainly audio visual; System Line, NetStreams, Savant etc. I'm looking at automation with RasperryPi/Arduino, I've built a surveilance cam using MotionEye (see sig) which I use for a TimeLapse, it works really great for something that cost me less than £30 :yep:

I thought there would be much more content online for building this stuff, sadly they are few and far between, however, projects that might be worth a look;

Fruxe

YieldBuddy

ReefPi

@KayDogis starting an automation project for raspberry pi, might be good for some collaboration if you're up for it :skin_up:

Edited by Flamedodger
4 people like this

Totally. I need a few short weeks. Lockdown has crippled me temporarily. 

3 people like this

Cheers everyone for the nice warm welcome back :) 

I shall look into the LED’s made by @diyleduk instead of the CHM especially as the weather is warm now. Thanks @ShiHanazono for the filter/fan recommendation. 

Regarding the Automation, I will contact @miserydrift and @KayDog for ideas but was looking into using Home Assistant (HA) as it has loads of sensors/relays that can be used with the software to display on a touchscreen Android dashboard both remotely (via VPN) or locally. The ESPHome website shows you some examples of what’s possible regarding monitoring/automating etc. The visual dashboard (on smartphone/iPad/computer can show different various readings and switch toggles for different items like fans/light etc.

i didn’t get many reply’s regarding the tent or the medium for the plants? Like I said, I’m strongly interested into a Bottom Fed, DWC or Dripper Kits. The two that sticks out the most is the Alien 8 Pot XL EasyFeed System 30L by EasyFeed system -  or the DWC IWS 8-Pot R-DWC Pro Undercurrent System - With 25mm IWS Flexi Pipe - . Another system I looked into was the XXL Wilma System 9 x 18 litre -

Any options on the tent aspect and also the growing medium? Really don’t want to do soil this time and regarding the tent, any good manufacturers to recommend and either 2m x 1m (or similar) or 1.5m x 1.5m (ok similar)? If I went with Wilma then a square would be better suited. 

Cheers all!

3 people like this

I'll be in touch shortly. :)

2 people like this

really the only automation i have is the wifi controlled inkbird and wifi cam everythiung else is bog standard bar a digital humidifier

3 people like this

33 minutes ago, miserydrift said:

really the only automation i have is the wifi controlled inkbird and wifi cam everythiung else is bog standard bar a digital humidifier

What about PH levellers, nutrient feeds, lights on/off, fan speed for temps etc? Or are you just saying what you have? Didn’t think about a camera, I have a £20 jobby what thats wifi and does 1080p wide angle photos/videos with grand reviews. Wondering if it could do a time lapse like one photo a day and also a video of the whole grow which would be sped up? I have plenty of storage free on my 48TB Server which is linked to my home automation system for Plex which does music/videos etc. Just thinking about it, depending on what @KayDog uses I could use Home Assistant installed on my Unraid server but might not work depending how the sensors interact? If it’s wired then it’s a no go as Server is in the Garage and quite far from tent room. 

1 person likes this

i dont worry bout ph levels as in in soil,nutrient i measure out with a syringe lights on and oiff with a timer cause of where my tent is fans on full power all the time like i said a fairly bog standard set up minus the wifi inkbird lol ,mine u can put in a sd card and record to that

2 people like this

I have some lighting questions, should I carry on here or post in the lighting section? It is relating to this grow though...basically I need to buy ALL the kit again as I sold mine last time and have a budget of around £1,500.

Edited by hopscotch123
Missed some information
1 person likes this

Lighting section mate. 

If you get it wrong, the mods very kindly move you. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Flamedodger said:I have worked in home automation, mainly audio visual; System Line, NetStreams, Savant etc. I'm looking at automation with RasperryPi/Arduino, I've built a surveilance cam using MotionEye (see sig) which I use for a TimeLapse, it works really great for something that cost me less than £30 :yep:

I thought there would be much more content online for building this stuff, sadly they are few and far between, however, projects that might be worth a look;

Fruxe

YieldBuddy

ReefPi

@KayDogis starting an automation project for raspberry pi, might be good for some collaboration if you're up for it :skin_up:

7 hours ago, KayDog said:

I'll be in touch shortly. :)

I’m deffo still up for the collaboration. Where in the forum would one start the thread? 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, hopscotch123 said:

I’m deffo still up for the collaboration. Where in the forum would one start the thread? 

@KayDog  can we use your thread?

2 people like this

You don't need my permission for anything, bud! :yep:

I'm very happy for you to crack on - collab away! 

I hope I get to be useful! 

2 people like this