Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MajorFlop

5 plant grow - T5 wattage?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'll make it brief as you have better things to do im sure!

So im doing a  5 plant grow in the coming weeks and I'm unsure on what lighting on the seedlings. 

I've found a 2ft 2 light t5 light on market place, will this do for the first couple of(2x 24w bulbs) weeks? And how long would you keep them under before swapping in the 2x 600w hps? 

Regards you beautiful people!

Edited by MajorFlop
1 person likes this

Marketplace as in fb? Don't buy growing stuff from there mate not safe. 

4 people like this

Yeah... I have to agree. Don't buy on FB marketplace if that's what you're talking about... I would never trust it.

As for the bulb, yeah it should do as long as your humidity and temps are where they're needed.

Good luck!

2 people like this

2 hours ago, MajorFlop said:

2ft 2 light t5 light on market place, will this do for the first couple of(2x 24w bulbs) weeks?

I bought a very similar one from my local (reputable) grow shop. Dont take risks where electrical items are concerned.

Good luck

1 person likes this

Tubes average out at around 10 or so Watts/Foot of length.  As others have said, buy your gear from a source that can be trusted and shitbook certainly can't be trusted :yep: 

3 people like this

Hiya @MajorFlop

Welcome aboard mate.

:sweaty: 2x 600w hps produce a heck of a load of light and heat, too much for 5 small plantlings too early. 

You'd be surprised how far you can take them under t5's, they are pretty decent for vegging with, just make sure you have decent coverage to light the plants. 

2x2 foot t5 lights are good for seedlings, but jumping from that all the way to 1200w is quite a jump. Maybe consider a 4x2 foot t5 or an led which would allow you to grow these 5 plants to an decent enough size before sticking them under 1200w of hps. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on mate. 

Happy growing. :lucky:

Ps check out our site sponsor @diyleduk

https://diyleduk.com/

Great value, service, knowledge and excellent products especially for us:oldtoker:

Fine for first few weeks. But as others have said, increase the light wattage gentle.

In my case, I use 2' T5 for first 2 to 3 weeks. Then onto 250 mh for a week or so. By that time prev crop harvested and dried freeing main tent. Into main tent and under my CMH for a week before I add the 400 hps giving total of 715w.

By that point I'm ready to trigger flowering which helps with the temps......

1 person likes this

Thanks is for the advice pal.

Money is a little tight and I've taken on board your thoughts on buying from market place. I'm an idioto!

So what I plan on doing is buying a cfl like from onestopgrow. 

Lamp and Hanger CFL Kit - 130w super cool buld.  

It doesnt come with a reflector or anything, will this be sufficient for 5 seedlings? 

Also, what bulbs will work with my digital ballasts? 

I plan on from cfl, to cm/cmh and then on to hps. 

4 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Fine for first few weeks. But as others have said, increase the light wattage gentle.

In my case, I use 2' T5 for first 2 to 3 weeks. Then onto 250 mh for a week or so. By that time prev crop harvested and dried freeing main tent. Into main tent and under my CMH for a week before I add the 400 hps giving total of 715w.

By that point I'm ready to trigger flowering which helps with the temps......

1 person likes this

I use a cfl light myself it does a great job just vegative growth isn't as fast as if I use just pure hps. 

I'm guessing you have a hps ballast they're the most common so I would just get a full hps bulb if it's for flowering only. Or you can get dual spec bulbs that are a little better in veg but little less effective in flower. You can pick them up from the bay starting about £15. The bulbs I use are Phillips Greenpower but they're quite expensive 40+ I used to use a cheaper brand omega and they worked a treat I only went to the Greenpower to see the difference really. 

1 person likes this

T5 lights produce a spectrum at the cool/blue of white light, which makes seedlings produce lots of node sites on the plant and promotes good root growth.

I recently took 4 autos to about 15 inches tall under T5 before putting them outdoors. They look like very healthy, happy plants now.  

1 person likes this

Hi. Don't know anything about CFLs. But if money is tight, I wouldn't be buying HPS and CMH. 

Have you considered a dimable HPS or have you already bought your 2 600w? 

Any 600w hps bulb will work. Have a read up on the various makes and types and select what's best or suits your budget.

Whilst I love my CMH, it is an expensive option compared to hps. I bought one as I needed to replace a 400w system that broke. With how tech has moved on, I would now consider led when I come to make replacement..... But for me that will be in a few years.... My original 400w mag ballast is still going.... 20 years!

Edited by M Pamplemousse
1 person likes this

Hey @MajorFlop

I've just vegged 3 girls under a maxibright lightwave (4x 60cm T5s) and it worked a treat. Had them in there for 3 weeks from seed could have done another week if needed.

Good luck :yep:

FF

2 people like this

1 hour ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Hi. Don't know anything about CFLs. But if money is tight, I wouldn't be buying HPS and CMH. 

Have you considered a dimable HPS or have you already bought your 2 600w? 

Any 600w hps bulb will work. Have a read up on the various makes and types and select what's best or suits your budget.

Whilst I love my CMH, it is an expensive option compared to hps. I bought one as I needed to replace a 400w system that broke. With how tech has moved on, I would now consider led when I come to make replacement..... But for me that will be in a few years.... My original 400w mag ballast is still going.... 20 years!

I have a dimmable lumatek cmh setup, which was expensive, but I've just ordered a Maxibright Compact CMH 315w ballast for 55 quid. It's magnetic, hence the price, and runs any cmh bulb. I managed to get a Lumatek bulb for 65 quid from the same place... 120 quid + p&p is not bad if you have the reflector already.

I use three 2ft T5's for the first two weeks.

Edited by catweazle1
2 people like this

Good call.

I also have the lumatek which is great but pricey.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Freddy_Freekowtski said:

Hey @MajorFlop

I've just vegged 3 girls under a maxibright lightwave (4x 60cm T5s) and it worked a treat. Had them in there for 3 weeks from seed could have done another week if needed.

Good luck :yep:

FF

This. Only took them out cos they started to outgrow the 60*60*90. They’re now under the biggest light in the solar system :idea:

1 person likes this