Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

avfc1982

First timer under glass

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

First time grower here struggling a bit, things haven’t gotten off to a great start, I got a couple of Frisian Dew seeds to pop in RootIt cubes, but I think I got the cubes too wet and they’ve given up after a few days.

I normally germinate my other garden seeds in potting compost + vermiculite/perlite and they get along just fine, so think I’m going back to basics/what I know and germinate that way with my remaining couple of seeds and be careful on the watering.

A couple of questions, is it too late to start a grow now in the UK? I have a green house so will get them in there as soon as I can so they will get plenty of light and hopefully shoot up pretty quick.

When would you put seedlings in the greenhouse? After a few days, a week or longer. My greenhouse does have auto vents and windows so temps can be controlled a little, just don’t want to fry the things when they’re too young!

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers

Edited by avfc1982
Update
2 people like this

Not too late, I planted a few just the other day, 5 out of the 6 come through so far.  Just pop your seed in compost like it was a tomato seed.  That is what I have gone back to after trying loads of things in the past (airing cupboard and wet paper towels, etc.)

I grow in my greenhouse and have done for years.  If your seeds are photoperiod they will just start to flower in early September'ish.  Just get them as big and trained as you can by then.  I also have done auto's I planted on April 20th and are looking awesome.  Recent good weather really helping.

Its not too hot to germinate seeds in the greenhouse. Just don't have a micro greenhouse on top of your seedlings as you will fry them in the recent heat.  I did this this year with some tomato seeds I got from Greece last year  :(

For later in the season you will need fans and a dehumidifier if possible.  Definitely fans!!!  I wouldn't be without a dehumidifier also.  Worked out it costs about £250 in extra electricity but well worth it.  Oh, and a greenhouse heater!!!

3 people like this

Thanks inapond.  I think I over fussed them first time around, will try and hold myself back this time!

I went with this strain in the end as it looks to be a good option for a greenhouse grow, my greehouse is pretty big so if I can get them to a decent size (seems a long way off at present!) I'll be ok.

I've put my 2 seeds in a mix of potting compost and added around 5% vermiculite and 5% perlite and popped them on the window sill, gave the mixture a soak beforehand and left to drain so that should hopefully be damp but not to wet.

Will keep a close eye on the coming days, hopefully I can get them both to pop.

3 people like this

• Welcome aboard ,       Firstly dont sweat it and enjoy your grow :)        Autos tend to be more sensitive to feed and as such i use very little.    You still got time to get them out but please dont take the breeders timescales seriously,  i tend to find they all vary.   You could run a female and prob get more back at harvest time.  

Get some pics up and dont be shy to ask questions as theres a wealth of knowledge on here and some great guys,  i have learnt so much just from coming on here.  

All the best and good luck sir.  

2 people like this

So I'm up and running again.  I thought I had two Frisian Dew seeds but in fact it was just the one and a freebie Critical Orange Punch from Dutch Passion.  Both have popped after planting on 29th May, Critical Orange is a couple of days behind the Frisian.

Paranoid about overwatering them so have a fine mist spray bottle to keep the compost moist and the greenhouse is pretty humid so fingers crossed.

Here's a couple of pics:

large.IMG_9049.jpg

large.IMG_9050.jpg

large.IMG_9051.jpg

7 people like this

Glad you got them in the soil and sprouted.  Good job.  Has that seed casing come off by now?  If not, it may need some help.  Get it nice and moist with a water spray, then come back a little later and see if you can very carefully prise off the casing.  I have lost a few over the years when they can't shed their casing.

1 person likes this

Thanks, managed to detach it pretty easily over the weekend as it had pretty much fallen off and was only stuck to one leaf.

1 person likes this

Just over a week since I posted my last set of pics so here are the two ladies, seem to be doing pretty well basking in the UK sunshine.  Resiting the urge to water too much, giving them a good drink every 4 days or so when pots start to get a little light.

Critical Orange a little leggy but should hopefully bush out soon.

I'm now thinking about my soil for potting on which should hopefully be in a couple of weeks.  I've got the following sat in the greenhouse at the moment:

Melcourt SylvaGrow Organic Growing Medium

Perlite

Vermiculite

Blood Fish and Bone

Chicken Pellets

Would a combo of this be enough to see me through or would people recommend any other additions?  I'd normally just shove a couple of handfuls of BF&B and chicken pellets in with my compost/vermiculite/perlite mix and that normally does the trick for my veg.  Should I be more scientific than that?  Any recomended proportions/ratios?

large.IMG_9096.jpg

large.IMG_9094.jpg

large.IMG_9095.jpg

3 people like this

Be careful with the mix you suggested, I prepped my main pots much the same. I used some of the leftover mix for some normal baby plants that needed potting on. Ended up scorching and killing them. Ended up flushing the mix 3 times to thin out the nutrients. I decided to change my mix and nutrients altogether.  

1 person likes this

Another week on and some pretty good progress, the Frisian Dew however is growing a little slower and has developed some orange/rusty markings on the lower leaves, anyone know what this could be and whether I should be worried/take any action?

Roots are starting to pop out of the bottom of the pots but they're not fully forming around the edges of the pot yet so I'm planning on giving it till the end of this week and pot them on into a couple of 2 litre pots.  I was going to mix Melcourt SylvaGrow, homemade compost, perlite, vermiculite, BF&B & some wormcasts I have on order and see how they go, will take it easy on the BF&B initially so I don't scorch them.

Chicken pellets I can add a handful to the watering can and apply every few waters, may need to dial that down a bit if the forecast UK heat continues and I need to water more frequently.

Anyone see any issues with this plan of attack?

Frisian Dew has developed 'rusty' lower leaves, any advice appreciated:

large.IMG_9162.jpg

large.IMG_9163.jpg

Critical Orange going well:

large.IMG_9161.jpg

2 people like this

Looking good bud and welcome. I've been growing outdoors for years but had to have a break as new neighbour's ect.  

Will be subbed for the ride. Hope the girls are doing just fine. 

1 person likes this

I'm not sure bit it could be magnesium deficiency. Starts on the older fan leaves and moves up the plant. The fan leaves canoe shape and the veins stay dark green while the leaves develop necrosis between the veins. (Which are the brown spots you see?) Give it 1 tsp Epson salt per gallon for the next two watering. The spots wont heel but the leaves will start looking healthier and your plant will start greening back up. You can also add garden lime to your soil before planting next time but feeding them some Epson salt now will help it a lot.

1 person likes this

I just used rain water to sort mine out. But epson salts from a pharmacy work too. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Wappasmokes said:

I just used rain water to sort mine out. But epson salts from a pharmacy work too. 

Cheers. I’ve been using rain water from the greenhouse water butts on them since they popped, will give a bit of Epsom salts a go to see if that sorts her out.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Cheers. I’ve been using rain water from the greenhouse water butts on them since they popped, will give a bit of Epsom salts a go to see if that sorts her out.

Just rain water should sort them no extra nutes for about 2 waters and this should clear up theoretically as rain water is the best for plants. Also dont ever filter the rain water even if theres sediment in it as this holds tons of beneficial micro organisms and extra nutrients they need. Hope all is going well today for you and the glorious uk sun is out in your area. 

1 person likes this