Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Smokebelch

My First Year as a Carp Angler

19 posts in this topic

I love barbelling and turn into a ninja at night with great results, i use a cube of plumrose luncheon meat and catch 5 doubles , from 10 till 2 on a good night. You are not allowed to fish my club water at dark, everyone goes home and they love feeding at night, absolute rod benders! I am also an avid piker in the winter and fish the Northamptonshire trout reservoirs hunting that monster croc. Plenty of twenties but no 30 yet. I want to try and get on the trent this year for a chance of a colossus barbel and do a bit of predator fishing with the old zeds and pike. I also want to zed the severn this year with gigantic 20's on certain stretches. Can't beat wild specimen hunting in the peace and quiet greenery. I go carping all the time too, pb 32lb from an old unfished quarry . Try a single high visibility pop up, maybe a bright yellow pineapple pop up. Pop it up 2 inches off bottom and they always hunt it down.

Edited by Coventree's
2 people like this

Looks like I am in good company here then, I love reading about people’s fishing adventures.

The carp have been spawning over the last month plus the hot weather has made the fishing harder and since I had those carp on my first session back I have been struggling. I did goto a commercial fishery with some match fishing friendS a few weeks back and caught quite a few carp on a method feeder rod, great fun but very easy.

I also fished an old estate lake a few weeks back, big carp was the target but they were busy spawning so I fished a feeder rod and bagged up on big bream, well over 100lb bag of 6lb to 8lb fish, great fun on light tackle.

I am off out early in the morning to the estate lake where I caught the bream but this time I am hoping the big carp are more active.

I have been taking a few photos over the last month of fishing, although the carp have been slow the weather has been awesome, it’s just been good to get out.

large.P1300508.jpg

large.P1300512.jpg

large.C9E6C750-4005-4502-843E-3FDDB81BDFF4.jpeg

large.P1300534.jpg

large.ED580C95-2AF8-4B00-A23F-CCC9D2CBC6BE.jpeg

large.P1300778.jpg

large.P1300747.jpg

large.P1300732.jpg

Edited by Smokebelch
6 people like this

Well I have been out and about quite a bit since my last update in here and I have found the carp fishing has been really hard.

On Tuesday afternoon I headed over to my favourite gravel pit and set myself up for a 48 hour session after the big carp that live in there. 

I tried a new swim on a part of the pit that I have not fished before, after half an hour of leading around I found a big clear gravel area with small foot high bar going right through it in open water, an obvious feeding spot so I put one rod out on there and then the other rod went on a clean gravel spot nearer the margins.

At 1am the open water rod went off and I landed a nice looking 18lb Mirror carp, a great start to the session but I had nothing else in the night.

Around 3pm Wednesday afternoon the open water rod went again and when I picked the rod up all hell broke loose, it went up and down the margins a couple of times before my line snapped, the pit has some big catfish upto 70lb and I think I was done by one of those.

I had nothing on the margin spot so when I reset the rods at 7pm ready for the night I put them both on the gravel bar out in the open water.

Some where around 3am on Thursday morning I was well asleep when one of the rods screamed off, when I picked the rod up the fish shot off so quick the clutch couldn’t keep up and I couldn’t hold on, as the rod tip went down too far the line snapped again, another big catfish, I was well pissed off with myself, I dont like snapping off but twice in one session is not good, I reeled the other rod in and went back to bed.

After setting the drags on my reels properly and adjusting my terminal I reset both rods at 8am with 20mm Krill Boilies topped off with a bit of plastic corn, red on one and yellow on the other, both traps reset I had a nice chilled morning.

At around 2pm my left alarm beeped once and then again then the indicator slowly started to move and the fish slowly started to run, I picked the rod up and it then ran off like train again but this time I was ready for it, I kept my cool and backed the clutch right off quickly got the rod tip right up and let it run, when it stopped I kept pressure on and let the rod do the work but it was like a tug of war for next 15 minutes, they fight so hard, way more powerful than the carp as they can swim backwards.

I held my nerve and eventually she was done and I got her in the net. It’s the first time I have managed to land one of these big cats so I was well happy. She went 32lb 2oz on the scales and was very hard to pick up for photos as cats are very slippery, my mate says they look like a big slimy tadpole.

So yeah I had a great start to the session with a nice mirror and then it turned a bit rubbish loosing two big fish I never even got to see but suspected were big cats, they go to over 70lb in this pit, then to actually land a decent 30lb Catfish a couple hours before I had to pack up made all the recent blanks and disappointing losses this session disappear and I went home buzzing.

After experiencing the heart stopping runs and powerful fight I am now very interested in targeting the bigger Cats in that gravel pits as well as the carp.

Some photos I took during the session

Setting up Camp

large.462BEC3A-F368-459E-89ED-F595C509F227.jpeg

18lb Common Carp

large.9B8E4D29-3C2E-4D99-B36E-D68E3DF80860.jpeg

The Traps are Set

large.313FEFE9-C246-401D-92F5-3946D9518F1D.jpeg

Cheeky Goose

large.F8F26122-ACB0-4600-802C-5BE8A7F53496.jpeg

32lb 2oz Wels Catfish

large.EBD62213-4960-442F-8963-EEB4246BAEAC.jpeg

Edited by Smokebelch
3 people like this

Have only just discovered we have a fishing section here, nice to see some fellow followers.

Some great catches there @Smokebelch, plus the early morning lake photo's always look nice.