Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Freddy_Freekowtski

Rust spots and yellowing

21 posts in this topic

Hey you lovely lot,

One of my girls has developed some rust spots over the last few weeks, she still seems to be growing at the same rate as her unaffected sister but it's getting worse so was looking for some help from a grown up :D 

So a bit of info on the grow

2 x Critical +2 34 days into flower

Dr60 60x60 tent

150 par+ LED

Plant magic soil

PM OT grow and bloom (started at 4ml bloom this week but changed to 3ml bloom and 1ml grow today after browsing the forum yesterday)

Temps are fine, crept up to 29 at canopy yesterday but that's the hottest it's been, usually around 26, lowest temp at the roots at 20.

I've moved house recently and just discovered the water here is very hard (around 370ppm), I have a countertop RO machine though so I've been mixing half tap and half RO for the last couple of feeds. PH at 7. I have more in depth info re the water if that's helpful?

I suspect that I've got a bit of lock out due to the hardness of the water, I noticed that there looks like a small build up of salt on the bottom of the pots where the water runs out, and that in turn is leading to a calcium deficiency. Diagnosis is not my strong point though, hence the post!

I took some pics this morning but with the kids at home it was a bit of a rush so they're not the best, I'll try and get some more tonight...

large.crop9.jpglarge.crop5.jpglarge.crop1.jpglarge.crop8.jpglarge.crop4.jpglarge.crop3.jpglarge.crop7.jpglarge.crop6.jpglarge.crop2.jpg

Wow those pics are bigger than expected! At least you won't need your glasses :D

Any help/thoughts very appreciated :yep:

EDIT: The pic with my hand in is from a lower fan leaf that isn't getting much light so think it would be looking a little unhappy anyway but the spots to the left of the leaf are indicative of the spots on other leaves.

Edited by Freddy_Freekowtski
1 person likes this

Following as have a similar issue developing myself.

large.crop1.jpglarge.crop2.jpglarge.crop3.jpglarge.crop4.jpglarge.crop5.jpgHey guys, anyone able to help at all? :)

Edited by Freddy_Freekowtski
Added some more pics

You feeding grow and bloom together? 5ml is punchy, especially with hard water.

Hey, thanks for this, I'd just upped from 3ml bloom to 4ml bloom going into fifth week but I saw a couple of people recommending to stick with 1ml of grow through flowering so on the last watering I went 1ml grow and 3 ml bloom. I usually go about half those numbers but I worried they were hungry. Do you think I should drop it on the next feed or even do a feed without any at all?

I still don't get why you are using a one-part nutrient range like a two-part. 

Hey, I just saw a couple of people on the boards had recommended using 1ml of grow through flowering when using PM. I've only added it once when I watered yesterday, so it can't be the issue here as the original pics were taken before that. If it's a real no no, I won't add it again. Do you have any thoughts about what the issue here could be? Thank you!

It looks like the start of a cal deficit, could be your water or environmental.  It's not a big problem adding pm grow to the bloom, but you'd be better off using a two part nutrient to play that game. 

Edited by FatBoy77
2 people like this

Hey man, thanks for that, I suspected it might be a calcium deficiency.

I've always used the PM OT nutes and never mixed before so thanks for the advice :)

Re water do you know if there's an optimal PPM before adding any nutes? As I've got the RO machine I can mix RO/tap and get to the best place.

Thanks again :)

@Oldbearis yer man for the Q I think dude

1 person likes this

Thanks bro :yep:

1 hour ago, Freddy_Freekowtski said:

Re water do you know if there's an optimal PPM before adding any nutes? As I've got the RO machine I can mix RO/tap and get to the best place.

Hey mate, your optimal ppm depends on your nutes. I don't use OT but I'm pretty sure it's good in med- med/hard water. 

You want your calcium in the 150ppm range with magnesium around 40ppm

Anything above 120 for cal should be good in compost. Over 200 it's hard and you'll likely cause lockout on a schedule feed. 

I only use ppm to balance my water. I don't use nor recommend pH in compost. Once you know your water is good it should be just watch the plants and feed accordingly. 

Last tip, avoid RO in compost if possible as it is unwise to strip out micro nutrients as the micro herd love and need them. Find out what your tap water is for cal ppm and mg ppm and set that, you'll be sweet. 

@  me anytime if you have a q about water.

Obie 

2 people like this

Hey @Oldbear

Thanks so much for this

I've got the report from the waterboard and it says:

calcium is  126.9 (It also has calcium carbonate at 317.25?)

magnesium 8.88

It's super in depth so I can put it up in if that's useful?

Just measured the water out of the tap and it's currently at 308 tds.

Regarding the RO machine, it's actually for drinking water/coffee but was thinking I could use it to dilute the tap water if it was too hard.

Looking purely at the numbers it looks like it'd be a Magnesium deficiency I'd have thought but I'm sure the girls looked more calcium starved, which is why I wondered if the water was too hard and had locked some nutrients out? If that makes sense?

Thanks again dude

FF :)

5 minutes ago, Freddy_Freekowtski said:

Looking purely at the numbers it looks like it'd be a Magnesium deficiency

The leaves have classic mg deficiencies, canna mono do a simple liquid magnesium at 7%. Add 4 ml per 10 litres of tap water and you are balanced. Then just feed your girls. 

** to get back to looking proper add an extra 0.2 ml / per litre of mg to their first feed and up the N to 2ml per litre to help them shift it around for photosynthesis 

Edited by Oldbear
Clarity
1 person likes this

Ah mate, thanks so much, that brilliant, I'll order some canna now :) 

I have some Epsom salts but I've never used them before, would it be worth using any of those while I'm waiting for the canna?

Re upping the N by 2ml should I just add 2ml of PM grow? And would that 2ml of N be just for the first feed (like the extra 0.2ml of canna) or for the rest of the cycle?

Sorry for the questions, I like to keep things as simple as poss so just want to male sure I'm right before I do/order anything!

Thanks again bro

FF :)