Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GREEN_BOX

Changing seedlings light cycle before plant out. Help needed!

40 posts in this topic

Evening everyone, hope everyone’s enjoying the banging weather. 

Just a quick one. I’ve recently germinated my first seeds via paper towel method for the rgsc comp and the seeds have gone under my T5’s (60 hours later). They’ve been under the lights since midday today, and the plan was to run 15/9 to mimic the sunlight they will get outdoors in 3 weeks time. 

This will mean my lights are on at midday til 3am. 

I jumped the gun this morning as some of my taproots were a little longer than I would’ve hoped so I wanted them under lights ASAP.

As I did this so hastily, I didn’t really take into account that the lights will be on until 3am (severe gangover, not thinking straightlol).

I should’ve planned ahead and checked them at 6;30am in case they were ready for the 7am start. 

My first question is, can I ‘reset’ the times I have currently set? In hindsight I would’ve wanted them to come on at 7am and turn off 15 hours later at 10pm. Will resetting and changing the hours of light now, ruin/stunt/stress the plants? None are above soil yet, of course. 

If it is possible & safe for them, what’s the best way to do it? Leave them on until 3am then off for 4 hours and start again with a new routine at 7am? Or another way?

I hope I haven’t messed up too much, and I hope that the above makes sense. Feeling anxious about this one but first time and all so I guess it’s to be expected!

Hope to hear back from someone soon so I can relax!lol:skin_up:

GB

2 people like this

You dont need a new routine. You want them seedlings as strong as possible so I'd get them on 20/4. Dont try and mimic the outdoors indoors mate, not worth it, and when in veg you can change the light cycle to what you want when you want. It won't bother them a jot

Owd 

5 people like this

3 minutes ago, Owderb said:

You dont need a new routine. You want them seedlings as strong as possible so I'd get them on 20/4. Dont try and mimic the outdoors indoors mate, not worth it, and when in veg you can change the light cycle to what you want when you want. It won't bother them a jot

Owd 

Thanks for the rapid response Owd! You’ve chilled me out a bit. 

Following your advice, I think I will keep the lights on til midnight, then set a timer to turn them off, and back on again at 4am. 

Hopefully this’ll be good for them. I trust your advice. 

Have a good one

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Owd 

Depends if they are light sensitive strains/fast versions.

If there normal photo strains then they can be put on 20/4.

You start fast versions on 20/4 then bang them out to current day light hours then some will trigger flower.

5 people like this

22 minutes ago, Exile420 said:

Depends if they are light sensitive strains/fast versions.

If there normal photo strains then they can be put on 20/4.

You start fast versions on 20/4 then bang them out to current day light hours then some will trigger flower.

6 out of 7 are photo periods (Affie Daze, DFG, ES x Skunk, Green Gold, Gorilla Haze & The 7) 

The only auto/semi auto is Mighty Gold which is the ones I’ve germinated first. 

Due to the amount of strains & only one T5 (soon to be 2) I can’t really have different times of lighting. 

With this in mind, what would you recommend in your experience? Is there a mid-ground I can go with seeing as nearly all are photo periods aside from the Mighty Gold’s?

For reference, I will be germinating weekly, slowly adding more and more waves to the prop cupboard, removing any plants once they hit 3 weeks old. 

Dfg, gorilla haze and green gold have GG#3 that is very light sensitive and will trigger more than likely.

Should message panik he will tell you.

Edited by Exile420
2 people like this

The 7 is also has early flower in it i believe

@panik said 17-7 for may plantouts. Mine come on at 5am off at 10pm

Edited by ocb
3 people like this

Cheers guys, going to message @paniknow. 

Will update on here what I find out is best, in the hope someone else might find it helpful in the future. 

Just tried to send a message and it’s saying you cannot receive messages @panik?

1 person likes this

Leave it on over night and all the way through to 10pm tomorrow and then start your 7am-10pm tomorrow 

will be fine.

Every year I grow indoors with light on through the night and off in the day and I plant out in the morning so plants have had all night sun indoors then all day outdoors and it’s never been an issue

Edited by Owderb

17 minutes ago, Jack010 said:

Leave it on over night and all the way through to 10pm tomorrow and then start your 7am-10pm tomorrow 

will be fine.

Every year I grow indoors with light on through the night and off in the day and I plant out in the morning so plants have had all night sun indoors then all day outdoors and it’s never been an issue

That makes sense to be honest. Will take note. 

Cheers Jack!

1 person likes this

Indoor to outdoor transplanting of light sensitive genetics is a lot more nuanced than the indoor growers flipping of full photoperiod polyhybrids...  Light cycles / night length is one thing, but something many miss ime is also age/maturity of the plants in question.  For example, I have a mother of an extra early light sensitive plant, I can just about keep her vegging by matching the longest days of summer, with frequent potting up etc. Now, being that this plant is a re-veg from one of last years, there is no question she is fully sexually mature.  I daren't plant her out much earlier than when the days are longest unless I deliberately want to initiate an unnaturally early flowering.  If I were to plant out now, she would surely go into flower, and then most likely start to re-veg as we approach the solstice when night length is minimal, creating a kind of half flowering half vegging abomination that is of little use to the grower except for an insight into this phenomena - bad times...  

Now, say I had this mother plant in seed form, the lack of maturity in the early stages of the plants life (compared to the abundance in the above example) can change the situation quite dramatically. As the plants will not flower until sexually mature, as well as doing so less readily due to environmental factors going forwards compared to that of the clones. With things like decreasing periods of darkness being more likely to dissuade any onset of flowering more so in the plants started from seed.  

So for example, with these hypothetical seeds, I could start them outdoors (or matching cycles in) late April - early may, and the plants would grow normally without any flower response despite the long nights. I could probably also stick them under 24hours indoors for 10 days before planting out if I wished, and the drop wouldn't cause flowering, as the plants are still so young that flowering isn't even on the cards yet.  All this is also largely the reason that later plantings generally produce later finishings.  To say 'The plant has pistles, therefore it's sexually mature, and so should trigger at the same time as a clone' is a gross oversimplification of whats actually going on with the plant(s) and their interaction with the environment. 

Anyway, in the name of keeping this short, really there are three main things to consider here; 

A) Genetics.

B) Light cycles / night length

C) The plants age / maturity.

Two ignore either one of those can potentially lead to issues.  Its complex, but you can keep things simple and reduce the chances of issues occurring by germinating later coupled with minimising the time plants spend under lights. 

7 people like this

2 hours ago, GREEN_BOX said:

Just tried to send a message and it’s saying you cannot receive messages @panik?

My inbox needs clearing I’d of thought, I get 100’s messages lol 

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Indoor to outdoor transplanting of light sensitive genetics is a lot more nuanced than the indoor growers flipping of full photoperiod polyhybrids...  Light cycles / night length is one thing, but something many miss ime is also age/maturity of the plants in question.  For example, I have a mother of an extra early light sensitive plant, I can just about keep her vegging by matching the longest days of summer, with frequent potting up etc. Now, being that this plant is a re-veg from one of last years, there is no question she is fully sexually mature.  I daren't plant her out much earlier than when the days are longest unless I deliberately want to initiate an unnaturally early flowering.  If I were to plant out now, she would surely go into flower, and then most likely start to re-veg as we approach the solstice when night length is minimal, creating a kind of half flowering half vegging abomination that is of little use to the grower except for an insight into this phenomena - bad times...  

Now, say I had this mother plant in seed form, the lack of maturity in the early stages of the plants life (compared to the abundance in the above example) can change the situation quite dramatically. As the plants will not flower until sexually mature, as well as doing so less readily due to environmental factors going forwards compared to that of the clones. With things like decreasing periods of darkness being more likely to dissuade any onset of flowering more so in the plants started from seed.  

So for example, with these hypothetical seeds, I could start them outdoors (or matching cycles in) late April - early may, and the plants would grow normally without any flower response despite the long nights. I could probably also stick them under 24hours indoors for 10 days before planting out if I wished, and the drop wouldn't cause flowering, as the plants are still so young that flowering isn't even on the cards yet.  All this is also largely the reason that later plantings generally produce later finishings.  To say 'The plant has pistles, therefore it's sexually mature, and so should trigger at the same time as a clone' is a gross oversimplification of whats actually going on with the plant(s) and their interaction with the environment. 

Anyway, in the name of keeping this short, really there are three main things to consider here; 

A) Genetics.

B) Light cycles / night length

C) The plants age / maturity.

Two ignore either one of those can potentially lead to issues.  Its complex, but you can keep things simple and reduce the chances of issues occurring by germinating later coupled with minimising the time plants spend under lights. 

yup in layman’s terms like I keep stating but no one listens and I still get 100’s messages Over  all social media platforms daily , germ the seeds mid April, on 17/7 light regime , an Plant out mid May onwards, it’s that simple I can’t see how people don’t get it .. 

every year multiple threads is it too early , is it too late .. :mmmmmmm:

8 people like this