Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
QuintinQuick

RDWC with Root Misting set up

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im setting up an 8 pot RDWC system - got everything together and nearly finished the bit of building/plumbing work required - been looking online and found these cheap misting kits - basically a length of 4mm hose with a number of T connectors and misting nozzles.

Would they be useful to insert into a RDWC pot, fitted in the side of the pot 2cm below the bottom of the mesh pot, constantly spraying a mist around the roots?

Would a filter be useful to stop the nozzles getting blocked or detrimental to the nutrient levels of the sprayed mist?

Would 1 spray nozzle per tub create enough mist?

Ideal pump to use?

Is this a waste of time even considering?

In theory it should reduce the required water height and flow speed, saving nutrients, electric and equipment life - but we all know theory from practice.

I realise this is similar to badbillbobs set-ups directly spraying the roots, but not quite the same because the water will still be pumped around the system.

Thanks for reading - any advice or links to diaries/posts very welcome please - couldn't find much on the search, but maybe I'm asking the wrong questions.

my set ups don't directly spray the roots. they spray the water surface only.

your idea might work, but there are a couple of points to consider.

The first one, like you say is blockages.

secondly- If you use sprayers it will be more like an aeroponic set up, if there is a big space between the roots and the water, and generally speaking aero set ups take a much higher feed EC than recirculating systems, so you would either be running a high ec aero system, or a low ec rdwc system.

I actually considered something similar for my own set up, but in the end I binned the idea. I was going to replace the spray bars with aeroponic misters/sprayers.

Another thing to consider id aeroponics, when it goes wrong, it goes wrong real quick.

Im not trying to put you off, these things need to be tried, I don't know if anyone else has tried it, and if it works, you might get the best of both worlds, but I think feed ec will be key

2 people like this

Thanks, Bill.

I think I might save this idea for my 2nd or 3rd grow - I got more ideas than experience!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

large.5ec19300f2827_Glueipa.jpeg

2 people like this

lets get a look at your system please?

1 person likes this

I plan to start setting it all up in a week or 2 - equipment is piled up in the corner at the moment.

1st I will set up a small area for veg under a 250 watt dimmable budget LED, then over the next 4 weeks get the main area finished - its all got a bit serious - my plans started of quite basic - a 4pot tent at the back of the garage - but the more i read the more elaborate the whole thing has become. Ive partitioned off half the garage and made the other half into a workshop - am really pleased with it so far. I've done the building and electrical work, just got the plumbing and reflective wall coverings to finish before I set up - has been quite a learning curve, really enjoying it.

I plan to start a diary - I'll upload some photos as I get the bits put together.

Thanks again for the advice.

1 person likes this

Bought a misting kit and a small pump - am gunna give it a go in a small veg area - couldn't get the idea out of my mind.

I guess it'll be big, fat, fast buds or fuck-all !!!!

Anyone else have any knowledge, opinions or advice for this type of set up?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It`ll work whatever happens, worst case is the outcome will be limited to whichever method is the least efficient.

Edited by Geo
3 people like this

Lex the Blazer pretty much sums this subject up pretty well, if anyone was interested -

HI what misting kit are u using i have build a couple in my time mainly for clones and found them blocking alot 

due to most of them are made for mains water or high pressure pumps.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, gavlp20 said:

HI what misting kit are u using i have build a couple in my time mainly for clones and found them blocking alot 

due to most of them are made for mains water or high pressure pumps.

Hi Galvlp20,

It's a no-name misting kit from ebay, still not set up so can give no helpful opinions yet.

It has brass nozzles and the push-fit fittings seem very strong, but I am concerned about blockages.

Found a great little repeat cycle timer from Crouzet - well, I say great but as yet I haven't even tried it - in theory it does what I want - and a small DC pump which says it gives more pressure than from the tap.

I'll update my progress as I go along - close to setting up.

When you say the nozzles were blocking a lot - how often? - (I planned on a weekly clean/flush of the nozzles).

1 person likes this

The 10-24 threaded brass misting nozzles love to clog and it will drive you mental ;)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Seems quite a knowledgable guy in the vid, I've just built a proper high pressure aeroponics garden, havent run any nutrient through the misters yet though!

Should be interesting. . .

Im using nozzles with a 0.7mm orifice - should probably add that I'm running 7-9 bar pressure through the nozzles to get the 50 micron-ish droplets

Edited by argosthewizard
4 people like this

Hey Argos,

Good luck with the high pressure system - sounds great.

2 people like this

Thanks mate, sounds like I might need it!

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, argosthewizard said:

Seems quite a knowledgable guy in the vid, I've just built a proper high pressure aeroponics garden, havent run any nutrient through the misters yet though!

Should be interesting. . .

Im using nozzles with a 0.7mm orifice - should probably add that I'm running 7-9 bar pressure through the nozzles to get the 50 micron-ish droplets

come on then, don't leave us hanging, lets see it?

2 people like this