Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Chronic123

Auto growing Advice

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I'm a first time grower and 8 days ago, I planted an Auto Northern Lights and Auto Blueberry.

Here is my set up;

• 0.8 x 0.8 x 1.6m grow tent
  • Viparspectra LED 300w
  • 5" RVK Extractor fan (with speed controller)
  • Tent vent for passive intake
  • Root!t 40w heat mat (with thermostat)
  • 40w tube heater (with thermostat)
  • Automatic humidifier (with humidistat)
  • 7" oscillating fan

Lights on temperatures - 18-25c

Lights off temperature: 14-18c

Humidity level: 60-68%

(I live in England, so the weather isn't that great).

I'm on day 8 of my grow, and I want to know what people think about my plants.

They look like they are starting to turn a little yellow, and the new leafs growing from the middle of the Northern Lights plant looks a bit brown.

I have a feeling that it might be because my light was too close. My light height was at 25" from the plant canopy. I moved it up this morning to 30".

I saturated the soil before planting with PH 6.5 water, and have only feed them 500ml of PH 6.5 water each since then. I do spray the soil if it looks a bit dry on top. I don't think it's a water problem.

A second opinion, or some advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Please find pictures below)

Many thanks

Auto Blueberry

large.blue-1.jpglarge.blue-2.jpg

Auto Northern Lights

large.nl-1.jpglarge.nl-2.jpg

Edited by Chronic123
pls upload pics here

hey mate, I'll be starting an auto grow soon so I'll be keeping an eye on yours!

best of luck

I have seedlings closer than that under a 150 watt quantum board.

Cant recall middle ever turning brown, only when i've burnt the tops with heat.

first time in tent for me and within days decided to go 24/7, constant temps easier to maintain which autos prefer. If growing in soil PH not an issue as the soil will sort that out. Iv always used tap water thats been stood around for 24 hours and takes the chill off. Some root stim added helps alot with the root growth too. 

RB

Sorry Nuttyprof, I thought I had to use a  third party website for pics lol

1 person likes this

It seems like you have an 11 degree difference in temps there , ideally that should be much less.

Have you considered 24 hr light for constant temp ? I would say 25-28 degrees would be better

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey dude, welcome!

Your lights off temps are way too cold to start mate, you don't want to drop below 18 degrees minimum in there at any point..

If your temps are too cold your roots will become stressed and the plant will become stunted...

Lower temps also cause the grow medium to be wet for too long of a period based on what the plant needs so your roots can starve of oxygen which can/will show in the leaves as 'brown/yellowing' 

As mentioned above, 24/7 is the way to go with autos... so much more stable environment that way!

Are you in soil or coco.... if your in soil then don't adjust your PH mate, you will do more damage than good.

Also worth noting that i didnt see 'carbon filter' on your list.... 

Unless you want the old Bill through your front door with the big red key then I'd look at picking one up asap dude.

All the best for the grow bud.

Edited by TommyTrichome

8 minutes ago, Degsy said:

It seems like you have an 11 degree difference in temps there , ideally that should be much less.

Have you considered 24 hr light for constant temp ? I would say 25-28 degrees would be better

That won't be able to happen lol I get 25c when it's a sunny day. Its currently 12:16 with an outside temperature of 9c. My tent temp is currently 19.8c. It'll probably reach a max of 20c today inside the tent. (I forgot to mention that I'm growing in an un-insulated shed)

Could the temperature difference be a cause of the change in colour? 

I don't want to buy an oil rad, as it's going to be summer soon, so the temperatures with greatly increase. 

29 minutes ago, rosebowl said:

first time in tent for me and within days decided to go 24/7, constant temps easier to maintain which autos prefer. If growing in soil PH not an issue as the soil will sort that out. Iv always used tap water thats been stood around for 24 hours and takes the chill off. Some root stim added helps alot with the root growth too. 

RB

I didn't think I should be giving them any root nutrients this early on? Thought I should just be spraying the soil when it gets dry, if that.

10 minutes ago, TommyTrichome said:

Hey dude, welcome!

Your lights off temps are way too cold to start mate, you don't want to drop below 18 degrees minimum in there at any point..

If your temps are too cold your roots will become stressed and the plant will become stunted...

Lower temps also cause the grow medium to be wet for too long of a period based on what the plant needs so your roots can starve of oxygen which can/will show in the leaves as 'brown/yellowing' 

As mentioned above, 24/7 is the way to go with autos... so much more stable environment that way!

Are you in soil or coco.... if your in soil then don't adjust your PH mate, you will do more damage than good.

Also worth noting that i didnt see 'carbon filter' on your list.... 

Unless you want the old Bill through your front door with the big red key then I'd look at picking one up asap dude.

All the best for the grow bud.

Ok. At times, I'm dropping to below 18c with lights on lol I'm growing in an un-insulated shed so that doesn't help.

I was thinking of getting an oil rad as my tube heater does pretty much nothing, but don't want to waste money as summer is coming soon, so the temperatures will increase. 

I'm growing in soil and I usually change the PH level before watering. Why shouldn't I change the PH in soil? I wasn't aware of this.

I have a RAM carbon filter that is inside the tent. Sorry, I forgot to put it on the list.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Chronic123 said:

I didn't think I should be giving them any root nutrients this early on? Thought I should just be spraying the soil when it gets dry, if that.

not so much a nutrient but to encourage root growth alot quicker 

AT 10 days i had roots showing at bottom of my 11L pots. 

RB

Edited by rosebowl
1 person likes this

Glad you've got a filter dude! 

Yea i know what your saying about summer temps coming but realistically that's still gonna be a bit yet and obviously with autos you only have so much grow time to play with before they flower... so if you stunt it and you end up with a little farty single stem your going to get a really poor return, I'd definitely get the oil rad I'm there at night for sure mate.

Give them and you the best chance of pulling something decent back for sure! 

Soil will buffer your PH for you so generally you can just leave it alone... 

Have a Google and you will understand the science behind it man.

What feeds were you planning on using bud? 

18 minutes ago, Chronic123 said:

Ok. At times, I'm dropping to below 18c with lights on lol I'm growing in an un-insulated shed so that doesn't help.

I was thinking of getting an oil rad as my tube heater does pretty much nothing, but don't want to waste money as summer is coming soon, so the temperatures will increase. 

I'm growing in soil and I usually change the PH level before watering. Why shouldn't I change the PH in soil? I wasn't aware of this.

I have a RAM carbon filter that is inside the tent. Sorry, I forgot to put it on the list.

You haven't got time to wait with an auto , you are stressing the plants now and seriously reducing potential yield

2 people like this

I run a 600w in 80x80 tent, i run the inlet through the cooled hood, heating the incoming air and then placing it at the roots.

This method works a treat all winter, never goes below 20c even if 0c outside. But during these days my fan is on full wak and believe me the plants love.