Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ledhead

Pump problems

18 posts in this topic

Been handwatering for years,but finally got round to setting up a little DTW. Having problems with my pump-I'm only doing 2 plants in coco in rhizopots,2 drip lines in each pot with blue drip stakes,using an 8 way manifold with 4 outlets blanked. I have a 100 litre flexitank-now here's the problem-when the tank is full,the pump works really well,ie good jets of water through the stakes,but when the water level in the tank starts to lower,the pump doesn't work as well and loses pressure. I have tried 3 different pumps maxijet 500,750 and the 1000! Obviously something wrong in my set up-the only thing I haven't got is an anti syphon valve,could this be the problem. It's really frustrating as can never tell how much water is going through the system. I'm sure there's an obvious solution to this......please help before I lose all of my hair!!

@Ledhead I'm not entirely sure how your setup works but sounds like you're trying to pump too high a head. You can either raise your tank or reduce your pipe diameter on the pump outlet

1 person likes this

an anti syphon valve would be a good idea, to prevent draining the res, but a mj1000 should be enough to get 1.5 metres head from.

@Ledhead Another thought, is your tank sealed up tight? If so try it with the lid off or partially open

is a pump float a thing? so instead of sitting on the bottom the pump sits on top of the water henc a shorter head to pump up?

Thanks for answers chaps. Going to be experimenting this weekend before I start with next batch.

Just one other thing argos,what will opening the lid on my tank achieve-very curious to learn!

@LedheadIf you have a sealed container and you're taking water out of the only hole, you create a vacuum at the back of it impeding the flow. Most tanks have a breather pipe or something but as I say, haven't seen yours

I have a 100 litre flexitank. Got an anti syphon valve on my 13mm pipe situated just before the plastic bulkheads that aresituated at the top of the tank(above the waterline). Going to try changing the anti syphon for a 4mm pipe teed off the 13mm to see if this creates less pressure,and makes things a little more consistent. My tank is outside the tent and the feed line runs into the tent through the sock near to the floor. Hope all this makes sense.Any thoughts? 

@Ledhead It might help if you drew a basic diagram on paint showing all your connections, I'm a bit confused as to what's going on. Have you tried it with the lid open to see if it makes a difference?

Sorry to be a pain,but how do I go about getting a diagram into the text? 

I'm not too sure. . .

Just tried it and you can upload a picture to the gallery on here if you go to create at the top right. Otherwise I assume you can use imgur or some similar site and use the BBcode link they provide you

Tried to upload a diagram,but saying file is too big. Bit of a technophobe when it comes to things like this! Going to try opening the tank up a little to stop the aforementioned vaccuum. Thanks for everyones input

If you google imgur you can upload to that then use the BBcode link (if the below works)

UNEHD4F.png

@Ledhead Any joy mate?