Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SYZYGY

Emerald Mountain expedition

88 posts in this topic
1 minute ago, Exhale said:

@SYZYGY what a bastard!

'Daughter of a bitch' probably more accurate here 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sorry to read of your troubles mate especially everything going so well. I have had bad experiences with most tents to be honest including greencube and hydrolab (premium tents). I also rent a property so tents is the only option... Budbox white tents are supposed to be really good and will be my last chance at a tent if this Darkbox starts falling apart on me (actually went to a grow shop and looked at all their tents and picked the best one material and zips wise standing inside the tent and closing it up to look for leaks and demanded the one I stood in, it's actually a "budget" tent!). Obvious solution is keep your tent in a dark room but it's so subjective and not always possible (me for example ha) so it would be nice to think a tent does it's job eh?! Do feel for you!

That said, 3 Royal Weddings hermied on me with 0 light leaks, have to be prepared for anything with seed runs I guess. I hope the rest of the grow shines for you and you pull a great harvest off the 5 left to keep you going mate. 

Edited by InTheSystem
4 people like this

On 06/07/2020 at 11:13 AM, Exhale said:

@SYZYGY what a bastard!

I thought those exact words..  Really sorry to hear @SYZYGY... onward and upward bro

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@InTheSystem Thanks dude. Yeah, ideally the room that the tent's in would be constantly dark but it's just not an option for me, and defies the point of a light-proof tent. 

I'm kicking myself for not going for a white Budbox to be honest, just for the full frontal access :naughty: I allowed myself to be swayed by something as small as an irrigation port in a slightly better place lol 

Thinking about it yesterday, I'll be keeping the Green Qube for time being as I'm sick of throwing money away. The light leak was so minor, I mean it took 10 mins in the dark to even spot anything and I've got pretty good night vision. I've even left the door open during hot weather in the past with just a few odd anthers to deal with, and that was with questionable fem seed. Worst hermies I've had by far this time and they're regs from a boutique breeder - I know you have to expect anything but a 'heads up' is always nice if the traits are present. I'll not bother with EML again... no doubt there's fire to be found but I just don't have the facility to risk losing such a high percentage of plants. 

How many Royal Wedding did you have in total man?

@Oldbear Onwards and upwards indeed! Life's actually been pretty damn good to me this week so I've taken it on the chin. At least I've got some more space to work, lower humidity, and a much easier trim job ahead (all being well ;)

:yinyang: 

Edited by SYZYGY
4 people like this

@SYZYGY

I'm now cautious about popping my Royal Limez :mellow: don't need a sausage fest lol

Great attitude by the way, stay positive and good things will happen 

Peace bro

2 people like this

@Oldbear If it was me I'd hedge bets and plant something reliable alongside, so it's not so much of a loss if they do turn. 

Attitude is everything and shapes your whole experience in life... so easy to forget!

Peace out brother :yinyang: 

3 people like this

@SYZYGY - 4 females out the pack with 100% germ rate, 2 shite yield and 2 were really good to be fair.. Good but not great. They were not grown to their best ability in all fairness though as I had to give them up on flip as my roof fell down and had to relocate urgently. It all tasted great and stunk the house down with such a lingering gassy pine kushy smell - just opening a zip bag of it would smell the place down, but for me it did not hit like Seedjunky Wedding Cake I have smoked, no where near as strong.. But could be down to the grow though. Pretty bag appeal, smelly but yer was a 6/10 for me. Again, not grown to the best of it's ability. The mothers of the "keepers" are big and happy at a mates dads house but it's 2 hours away and I was dissapointed with the whole grow and scenario I am not in a hurry to go up and get a cut to run again, no disrespect or negativity towards Emerald Mountain or the strain, just thats my feelings on it. Not going to commit another 4 months to something I am not feeling great about. 

I think your tent sounds ok mate. Honestly I have had light leaks by mistake running passive air system and cuts have not hermied. Get the duck tape out after sitting in there for 5 mins to cover any potential leaks and crack on. Could be the genetics, could be the leak but your right - it's a big investment not to get many grows out of. I have my fingers crossed for you.

3 people like this

I got in touch with EML about the herms; not to moan, just to give them some feedback. 

They said they hadn't seen any herms themselves with their outdoor and light dep testing, and hadn't heard any negative feedback. 

After describing my situation they agreed it sounded ultra-sensitive and were as surprised as I was. 

They kindly offered to send me a pack of my choice of something else (said to avoid 707 Truthband as this is known to herm). 

I requested a pack of their flagship Royal Kush X.

Emerald Mountain are a lovely bunch who responded quickly, apologised for my troubles, and were keen to make things good. You can't say fairer than that! 

However, I'm not the only one to be having trouble indoors. I wont speak badly of their work; the plants I have left are beautifully vibrant. You can feel the good energy they put in. The conclusion I've come to is that genetics bred by selecting phenos outdoors, perform as intended in that environment. As a phenotype is just a set of observable characteristics resulting from the interaction of a genotype with the environment, it stands that more predictable results indoors come from breeding by selections made indoors. I'll be focusing a bit more in this area from now on... I know @InTheSystem is too :yep:  

The frost fairy and stink sprite have visited the remaining ladies... usual update at the weekend ;) 

6 people like this

@SYZYGY Nail on the head mate 120% My friend is actually running the Royal Wedding cultivar outside this season now from the indoor selection we did. I will be sure to share the photos of her in Croptober mate as I really agree on this theory, despite it throwing a spanner in the works it's been cultivated inside from seed in my case haha What I can say is they are big plants outside thus far in July! Tall and bushy with 0 training.

Great that they gave you a pack of seeds and I think Royal Kush is the best choice by far... All the work and legacy of Ras Truth is mostly in that strain. Sargares has found some really nice smokes out of their gear and met the lads at Product Earth - they are genuine nice people who put the work in. But California Mendocino mountains ain't a grow tent and artificial light at the end of the day as you have indicated. 

5 people like this

Good morning growers :smokin: 

Day 27 here and the remaining plants are getting appropriately frosty, greasy, stinky and stacky. 

I've been checking carefully; no further signs of sexual confusion. Having the extra space to get amongst them in the tent is a luxury but one I hope to never have again! 

Most look well-fed - the occasional leaf tip bending down but on the whole I'm happy. The coco stays quite wet in this system so salt build-up isn't such a worry but I'll look to reduce the strength by a point from the next res change. As CalMag is being used throughout (adding more N to the mix), I've kept the base feed low and used Boost to address the balance. I think this is best approach for my water/system/environment. 

Ambient Day 27-28.5°C • Ambient Night 24.5-25.5°C

RH 57-63% • 2 x LOGIC 500 12/12  500W @ 24"

(ml/l) 2 Root Tonic • 0.2 Tribus • 0.4 CalMag • 1.0 Boost • 2.2 Bloom • 2.8 Extra Traces 

1.4 EC • pH 6.2 • 18-20.5°C

Still having a problem with Fungus Gnats. Didn't see them for over a week and thought the combo of yellow sticky traps and Hypoaspis Miles had done the job, but no, back with a vengeance. Any tips? They're starting to really annoy now that I keep finding them stuck to the resin and ruining the photos lol 

With only five plants I found a bit more time to get them out of the tent for a photo op. Time to meet the girls...

QUEEN'S CANDY #8:

Smelling unreal, like diesel and mint fudge. Glad I've got one left! 

large.04-queenscandy8.jpg

large.08-queenscandy8.jpg

large.05-queenscandy8.jpg

large.07-queenscandy8.jpg

large.06-queenscandy8.jpg

TINKY WINKY #2:

All smelling outrageously trashy, gassy and oily. 

large.01-tinkywinky2.jpg

large.03-tinkywinky2.jpg

large.02-tinkywinky2.jpg

TINKY WINKY #6:

large.09-tinkywinky6.jpg

large.12-tinkywinky6.jpg

large.10-tinkywinky6.jpg

large.11-tinkywinky6.jpg

TINKY WINKY #9:

large.13-tinkwinky9.jpg

large.15-tinkywinky9.jpg

large.14-tinkywinky9.jpg

large.16-tinkywinky9.jpg

TINKY WINKY #5:

large.17-tinkywinky5.jpg

large.20-tinkywinky5.jpg

large.18-tinkywinky5.jpg

large.19-tinkywinky5.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for stopping by and have a top Sunday

large.21-group.jpg

4 people like this

23 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

Any tips?

Try some sharp sand or perlite on the top of your pots mate, running dryer in coco is not an option as I understand so the sand/perlite should help keep the larvae cycle under control.

I get a few gnats wander in from the missus' relentless watering of the houseplants, I understand carnivorous plants can help.

1 person likes this

Lovely work mate, shame about the lady boys :(. Hypoapsis miles are useless for gnats to be honest tried them myself and they didn't touch the sides. Best bet is either nematodes applied monthly or breed some rove beetles following farmerpalmersnt guide in the organic section. 

2 people like this

@Exhale If the medium wasn't perma-wet I'd get the DE out. Sharp sand might help. You'll never see perlite in my groom tho, can't stand the stuff. 

@ukbudz The Hypoaspis Miles were drafted in at the first sign of thrips, wasn't really expecting them to sort the gnats but the population went right down for a while so I thought maybe they had. I thought wrong! Nematodes were my next move. Will check out the Rove Beetle thread :yep: 

2 people like this