Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

phenom

soil

16 posts in this topic

i grow outside i start with biobizz potting soil then after a while change to Canna Coco professional + BUT due to the virus Canna Coco prices have gone mad last year i paid £20 for 50L NOW prices are starting at £30 + £35 delivery. I am looking at doing ALL my grow biobizz but i don't want to keep changing soil if i look at biobizz Coco mix it then says change feed after a while or can i use biobizz ALL-mix potting soil from the start any help plz 

Bio-bizz all mix is a bit too hot for young plants, better to start with the light mix first, and pot up to all mix when they are bigger....personally though I have used light mix for full grows and never had any issues.

2 people like this

19 hours ago, phenom said:

i grow outside

why use potting soil/mixes at all?

and none of what you mention is even close to organic....:unsure:

i thought biobizz or canna was organic that's what it says... high value organic ingredients such as airy peat moss prevent diseases

Posted (edited)

Bio-Bizz is organic, it's a natural product, made from natural coconut..... @buddy13 please explain 'non' organic for me, and to the rest of us......

Edited by SubSpecies

@SubSpecies If you thought a banana wasn't organic by mistake and your Mrs pointed it out to you, would you expect her to ask for and explanation of "non" organic bananas? 

Pretty sure you know what the answer is to the question your asking and so does @buddy13 

1 person likes this

Personally I don't understand how people can bring themselves to pay, what? £20 for 50l (and that's before the pandemic?) of a substrate that has been transported thousands of carbon emitting air miles, is difficult to re-wet and then purchase further products to feed the plants.

You can either make or source local and just as good compost which feeds the plants, contains beneficial microrganisms and probably max will cost a tenner from the most extortionate of garden centres.

Each to their own obvs and I'm not inviting arguments about organic, non organic, hydro, bio, this that the other. But if weed tastes just the same and gives the same effect, why in the fuck do people pay these prices for massive carbon foot printed products that do fuck all to increase the quality and/or quantity of the herb they are producing for themselves.

An analogy might be buying a Landrover with a Robin reliant engine vs an electric car. Actually that doesn't really quite fit but neither does buying coco flown in from Thailand or some other tropical place which is basically the only place that coconuts actually.

I'm pretty sure people convince themselves that paying daft amounts over the odds for beans and growing media means their weed is better when they just started growing a couple of years a go and now they're some gardening experts.

6 people like this

I use westlands John inners compost usually around £6 for 50l can be bought pretty much anywhere 

3 people like this

i am in a wheelchair and it is easier to order my soil online then going round shops i live in a rural area so i either have b&q or jolley's i try to be as organic as possible i was only buying biobizz because i also get fishmix and others as for Canna i was told it was the best to get i don't have friends to chat to and get most information from books. @Jay1601 i will look at getting westlands.

1 person likes this

J Arthur Bowers or Levingtons are good too, I've only recently bought a sack of Canna Seed  and that's the first time I've ever bought weed'specific compost, for the past 20 years' growing I've had perfectly respectable results with the high street stuff.

1 person likes this

@SubSpecies you explain your definition of organic and we can go from there if you like?.....now where's that tin opener.....

but to be honest I was mostly wondering...…..

On 4/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, buddy13 said:

why use potting soil/mixes at all?

if the op is growing outside?

Posted (edited)

I been using humax from local garden centre 100% peat mind with added silver sand canna plants loved it all the way through.

And they dropped the price to a fiver a bag and will deliver locally try ur local garden centre they might be closed but still do deliveries.

Edited by murphyblue
last line

One of the better brands of garden centre compost i've used is Bord Na Mona Growise.

We shift loads of it where i wor... where i'm employed :mellow:

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, phenom said:

i am in a wheelchair and it is easier to order my soil online then going round shops i live in a rural area so i either have b&q or jolley's i try to be as organic as possible i was only buying biobizz because i also get fishmix and others as for Canna i was told it was the best to get i don't have friends to chat to and get most information from books. @Jay1601 i will look at getting westlands.

You got mates on here dude. I don't have mates to speak to about it either and tbh that's probably the best thing for anyone in our situation because we live in a backwards world where silver spoon liars and their pals make the rules. It takes balls to grow weed whatever people say. Hats off mate. I hope you're doing alright in these times here. Whatever you can do to make yourself more comfortable and make life a bit easier, especially growing a plant that occurs naturally. Have a good'un and look after yourself. You don't have to buy expensive products to grow your plants. Save that money for other stuff that you might need. And apologies if it sounded like I was having a go. I wasn't. I just want people not to be fooled by shiny products and exorbitant prices. All the best dude. Keep asking questions. People are happy to help.

3 people like this

I'd just like to add that people argue that coir is harbours less pests and disease than your average compost. That is 100% not the case. If you get pests and disease brought in on your soil be it coir, or any any other supposed superior product you lucked out or you bought from people who don't give a shit. Them theres the breaks.