Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bingboing

Fungus gnats, cx tanlin,

...So I got some fungus gnats (compost mix home made and brought, perlite, coco). I've just done some apple cider vinegar death pits x3 and the cinnamon trick, power thinly on soil surface etc, I'm not expecting this to whack them. Dosing with cx tanlin later (1 drop per two litre), any people out there with tips or help? Holla at me! Autos so I can't afford to let them tank.

I thought an organic/rainwater grow would be best, looks like I was partly wrong:wallbash::yinyang:

2 people like this

I had fungus gnats and the tanlin worked much better when I upped the ratio to 1 drop/ 1L.  It took a good few weeks to interupt the life cycle but it got there.

I also got some large yellow sticky fly traps on ebay for less than a fiver and they have great immediate effect.  I think my main cause was reveging a plant took a longbtime and the continually damp soil was a breeding ground.

The gnats them self never affected my plants just an anoyance.

Happy growing.

2 people like this

Thanks, my traps are working well but moist soil is making more of them hatch I guess it's that or not get rid of larve. Maybe I'll try two drops...... :yinyang:

2 people like this

On 28/04/2020 at 10:33 AM, Bingboing said:

Thanks, my traps are working well but moist soil is making more of them hatch I guess it's that or not get rid of larve. Maybe I'll try two drops...... 

I had read someone used a kitchen blow torch to scorch the soil surface to irradicate gnats. Seemed to work for them. I am going to cover my top soil with Rice Hulls to cover the soil. Ill put up new traps and judge from what they catch.

2 people like this

If defo say up the dose I don’t think you can over do it with nilnat and when couple with the yellow sticky pads you should see them clear up quite quickly 

3 people like this

Nice! I've upped the dose and await their doom. :yinyang:

2 people like this

Have you considered nematodes?

Google Sciarid Fly Nematodes from Green gardener.

They also stock something called Sciarid Zoot Off you can apply as a top dressing.

Catching the adults with sticky traps is a must.

All the best

3 people like this

My 10L bag of rice hulls cost 20£. I put them on the surface of 10 pots today at a depth of about and inch. (You do get it cheaper the bigger the volume bags but hay ho) keep you posted.

SolB, great link:yep:  I will go for the nematodes If Hulls draw a blank. have you tried the zoot off?

1 person likes this

Tanlin seems to be making it better, got some traps up which are doing their stuff. Aren't nemetodes pricey? Gonna just tanlin whenever I grow now and hopefully get them before they start! Thanks for the shout out! :yinyang:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No £11.99 fir 15sqM seems about the going rate ( I checked another site). I thought they were more expensive too. You gotta do repeated applications but thats doable for tent growers with 15sqm pack.  I think I have more than just fungus gnats since I reused soil from garden early in lockdown. Plants are well but dont want an explsion of winged fuckers in flower

Your plan sounds good btw.

Edited by skidmarx
2 people like this

The rice hull dont work 100%. (They displace when you water and expose siol. Pain inthe arse) Althought the gnat numbers have dropped and not increased. Gants seem happy on the outside of fabric pots :nope:

I will try the nematodes next. When £allows

Posted (edited)

If you buy them direct from nemasys they are 7.99,for gnats you should only need 1 application,just remember to keep the soil moist for a couple of weeks as they will die if soil dries out

Edited by j.a.g
adding