Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JungleKid

Some help for the new guy?? :)

166 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

So Im a noob grower but have always liked the idea of a GG, so gonna have my first pop over whats shaping up to be a decent summer. Not going crazy at all, as it's more about having a project than anything, but would like to see some results so looking to the community for some tips and advice on what to watch out for. 

My site is at 53 Lat and I've decided on RGSC Lemonade OG x Freezeland seeds to start with as from what i gather the semi-autos should be some of the more forgiving of any cock ups from me. They're germinating as we speak. I have been browsing for a few more seeds though as the way the summers shaping up i reckon its a solid investment! If anyone's got any recommendations then im ears.

I'm pretty happy with the site and confident that its gonna get as much sun and security as Ill find. (There are actually a few decent spots nearby so very tempted to spread my bets at this point).

It is next to a large warehouse, but round the back, well above ground level and amongst a grove of trees so even though there's the occasion artic lorry drive past i'm sure they wont see it at all. Other than that there's noting around. and the route to get there is a nightmare. so doubt anyone else would do it for fun. 

It's up on a bank so should see the majority if not all of the day's sun and it's very near to a river so that's any water sources issues sorted.  There are rabbits around so ill chicken wire the ladies, and i anticipate a fair few slugs so will take some measures there.

My hesitations at this point are; 

• How should I start off my seedlings, with a view to get them out out over the weekend of the 23rd May? RGSC site mentions ''Can be temperamental in Indoor conditions when starting seedlings , we recommend not giving less than 20hrs of light in vegetative stage and not planting out before the spring equinox, plant out mid May onwards for best results.''. I was thinking of using a 75w led grow light to get them going, would this be alright? Could @panik help me out here?
  • Should i consider any feeds for either stage of growth? (I would like to keep it organic and not spend a load of cash on feeds in an ideal world so to be told that rain water and bat crap will suffice would be music to my ears).
  • Would you advise using multiple sites that are pretty close to each other, or would this just raise the profile of the entire area? Am I better keeping them concentrated to the one site I'm pretty comfortable with?

But really; as I'm new to this and completely flying blind, I was hoping that ANY TIPS on what to watch out for, or what could trip me up at any stage of the journey could make a huge difference and save me falling short!

Cheers for the help and i'll look forward to some lessons. 

3 people like this

Welcome @JungleKidand good luck with your grow.

Sounds like you’ve got it all nicely planned out.

Rather than offer advice I can tell you what I do (only 3 years of experience for me mind).

I also have this strain and I will probably look for a late May plant out for some of them so to get the timing right I will germinate my seeds 1st week of May. If they go under a basic light I will do it on an 18 hours on, 6 hours off using a basic mechanical plug timer. If not then a windowsill or greenhouse will do for me.

I will feed them rain water and some weak seaweed feed (or something similar) during this time but I often doubt how much the feed does tbh.

I tend to use smaller numbers in multiple sites in a small area rather than one big grow .....but often wonder if this is smart or not and I still don’t know the answer. Makes me feel a little less edgy though doing it this way. Time will tell....

I hope others chip in here with their advice as there are many ways to get results in this game.

Are you going to do a diary? Might be worthwhile to get some good pointers 

Edited by Oliffe

21 minutes ago, Oliffe said:

Welcome @JungleKidand good luck with your grow.

Sounds like you’ve got it all nicely planned out.

Rather than offer advice I can tell you what I do (only 3 years of experience for me mind).

I also have this strain and I will probably look for a late May plant out for some of them so to get the timing right I will germinate my seeds 1st week of May. If they go under a basic light I will do it on an 18 hours on, 6 hours off using a basic mechanical plug timer. If not then a windowsill or greenhouse will do for me.

I will feed them rain water and some week seaweed feed (or something similar) during this time but I often doubt how much the feed does much tbh.

I tend to use smaller numbers in multiple sites in a small area rather than one big grow .....but often wonder if this is smart or not and I still don’t know the answer. Makes me feel a little less edgy though doing it this way. Time will tell....

I hope others chip in here with their advice as there are many ways to get results in this game.

Are you going to do a diary? Might be worthwhile to get some good pointers 

I do pretty much the exact same, multiple plots not too far from each other but if you found one you wouldn't know there's more in the area ie: concealed by bushes and other trees etc... One thing I have gathered from countless amounts of reading on here is that having multiple plots are definetly a must if you want a guaranteed harvest of something. 

You do seem like youve got your head screwed on though, I would say just keep reading the fuck out of the guerilla thread and other growing threads and you're good to go mate. 

Edited by FunkyPlant
4 people like this

@Oliffe @FunkyPlant 

Cheers for the tips guys. Yeah there more I think about it the more I'm confident that ill use a few spots now. Some of them have varying conditions so at least its an opportunity to test which will work well in the future. @Oliffe When you say basic light do you just use a CFL bulb? I've ordered a 75w full spectrum LED which will come Monday so hoping that should cut it for now? Any thoughts?

Yeah I might start a diary.

I've just potted 3 of the seeds that had some strong looking taps on them. After some consideration I've used empty water bottles with holes punched into the bottom and the tops cut off. Thinking that I can tape the tops back on once their ready and this would be a good way to transport them. I also managed to blag some decent potting mix/super soil form a mate down the road so winning there.

The other 3 seeds have cracked, just hoping they'll push out a bit more before I get them into some dirt, so that's 6/6 germinated!

It's all quite exciting isn't it!.... :D

2 people like this

@JungleKid

i have some sort of LED that cost £30 so very basic but seems enough for a small number of plants for a couple of weeks of veg prior to plant out.

Lights really are not my thing so I can’t say for sure if yours is sufficient. However, your plan sounds ok from what I do know.

If you pop up some pictures of you kit you’ll get a few more responses :yep:

On 24/04/2020 at 6:14 AM, Oliffe said:

@JungleKid

i have some sort of LED that cost £30 so very basic but seems enough for a small number of plants for a couple of weeks of veg prior to plant out.

Lights really are not my thing so I can’t say for sure if yours is sufficient. However, your plan sounds ok from what I do know.

If you pop up some pictures of you kit you’ll get a few more responses :yep:

I have this absolute mess of a setup to get them going, and it works a treat. I have to stick them outside once the smell start coming through the floorboards into the living room. Usually after a few weeks. By then they're ready for the great outdoors. Popped my seeds and stuck them in the soil tonight. large.IMG_20200425_193139_compress79.jpg

4 people like this

Cheers @Arshlay that makes me feel a bit better. Mine looks near identical but with a red/blue panel.

Hoping they'll do their magic under that. 

7 hours ago, JungleKid said:

Cheers @Arshlay that makes me feel a bit better. Mine looks near identical but with a red/blue panel.

Hoping they'll do their magic under that. 

That's a diyled 65w panel. Could quite easily grow a couple of autos under it until finish, it just ends up absolutely stinking lol

2 people like this

Yeah i had  look at some of the bits on diyleduk and they all look decent. Not taking any orders at the mo and im rubbing pennies so hoping the below should cut it.

large.Screenshot_2020-04-26-11-41-44.png

Will put a daylight bulb above it somewhere when it comes just to brighten it all up a bit more.

5 people like this

On 26/04/2020 at 1:11 PM, JungleKid said:

Yeah i had  look at some of the bits on diyleduk and they all look decent. Not taking any orders at the mo and im rubbing pennies so hoping the below should cut it.

large.Screenshot_2020-04-26-11-41-44.png

Will put a daylight bulb above it somewhere when it comes just to brighten it all up a bit more.

Your seeds popped mate? Mines been in the soil 48h and still no show. I'm so impatient!! lol

Yeah all 6 of the lemonade showed. 3 after about 24hr, and the other 3 had their heads this morning. how did you germ them?

1 of the first 3 36hr after going into pots.large.5ea56a1b95761_20200426_113638(1)11.jpg

You'll be ok mate. I was concerned 2 of mine wouldn't show but there they were this morning. Have faith, I'm sure they'll be there for breakfast.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, JungleKid said:

Yeah all 6 of the lemonade showed. 3 after about 24hr, and the other 3 had their heads this morning. how did you germ them?

1 of the first 3 36hr after going into pots.large.5ea56a1b95761_20200426_113638(1)11.jpg

You'll be ok mate. I was concerned 2 of mine wouldn't show but there they were this morning. Have faith, I'm sure they'll be there for breakfast.

I did the paper towel method until tails were showing. Will check when I get back from work. Wish me luck 

1 person likes this

@ArshlayI reckon they will be there for you when you get in mate

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, JungleKid said:

@ArshlayI reckon they will be there for you when you get in mate

We have lift off mate. However, one of them the root was showing abit so covered it up. large.IMG_20200428_191027_compress57.jpglarge.IMG_20190905_181316.jpglarge.IMG_20190830_181021.jpgthese are a few pics of an auto I grew last year. zkittles og from barneys farm. Smelt amazing

4 people like this

Good stuff! Glad to hear it mate. What have you gone for this year?

Last years looks decent too. Love the colouring on the zkittles. Will you lst the autos again ths year? Was considering it with mine

1 person likes this