Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bagseedbro

Total Newbie, any advice appreciated

35 posts in this topic

Hi @Bagseedbro, I'm gonna start with a massive caveat that I know very little about growing (check out my previous posts!) but that looks pretty healthy at this stage.  Everyone is right; the yield will be low with that set up, but so far you've spent pretty much zero and you've got a growing plant.  What day are you on?  Personally I'd just buy some food and see how you get on behind those doors and outside.  But that's probably cos I'm essentially doing the same as you mate!  If you find out a way to control the smell let me know haha.  I'm gonna follow this anyway to see how you get on - good luck mate.

2 people like this

large.IMG_6090.JPGlarge.IMG_6089.JPG

right boys after some ups and downs (hopefully) she is looking pretty healthy! we lost a few yellowing leaves, looked droopy at points, and i think having it in too small a pot for a while stunted its growth for a bit but stuck it in a bigger pot and exploded with growth!

this is pretty much all form the sun, and occasionally at night the dodgy LED and a similar powered CLF sometimes just in case it does anything after an overcast day, but yeh mainly sun.

im wandering if anyone has any guidance on the next stages? when will i know if its a he/she? how do i know when its ready to start flowering? seeing as generally its just been out in the sun, how would i trigger flowering? but yeh all in all id say very happy but yeh seeing as i just stuck a seed in some soil quite suprised and probably underprepared at this point!

3 people like this

I was not expecting that photo!!! Nicely done. 

As for the sex of the plant. It's time to take a close look whether you have sacs or not.. 

https://weedseedsexpress.com/blog/how-to-identify-male-and-female-weed-plants

Although you may be dead set curious on what sex it is, it may be too soon as we have not even paced the longest day of the year yet. When the amount of light decreases time wise then the plant knows to kick into flowering to work on those amazing harvests we so love.

Be careful giving it random light, I have heard that it can then create shock and stress and possibly make a plant go herms I have done numerous balcony grows and only get about 6-8 hours of sun direct. I run auto's usually to get two harvests in a year but you should be absolutely fine with the way you are going. Just give it as much as possible and watch that girl get fat!

Your pot is a bit small, so look into getting some nutrients into it to help with yield and flower taste as the soil you have will run out quicker. I'd recommend biobizz products, but the fun is doing the research yourself!!:book:

Looking forwrd to the next update :hippy:

2 people like this

39 minutes ago, Fishbern said:

I was not expecting that photo!!! Nicely done. 

As for the sex of the plant. It's time to take a close look whether you have sacs or not.. 

https://weedseedsexpress.com/blog/how-to-identify-male-and-female-weed-plants

Although you may be dead set curious on what sex it is, it may be too soon as we have not even paced the longest day of the year yet. When the amount of light decreases time wise then the plant knows to kick into flowering to work on those amazing harvests we so love.

Be careful giving it random light, I have heard that it can then create shock and stress and possibly make a plant go herms I have done numerous balcony grows and only get about 6-8 hours of sun direct. I run auto's usually to get two harvests in a year but you should be absolutely fine with the way you are going. Just give it as much as possible and watch that girl get fat!

Your pot is a bit small, so look into getting some nutrients into it to help with yield and flower taste as the soil you have will run out quicker. I'd recommend biobizz products, but the fun is doing the research yourself!!:book:

Looking forwrd to the next update :hippy:

thanks for this man, all very helpful... yeh also have recently stopped putting it under the dodgy lights, i tended to do it overnitght when its overcast but not bothering so much i think figuring out that light behind cloud still does a bit and also that food and pot size is essential.

think my soil wasnt great and no idea about PH levels and all that, so after being too cautious im feeding maybe every other day now with some seaweed based plant food, and recently transplanted to a bigger pot, so yeh looking to do that again as i can start to see some roots poking out the drainage holes (think i narrowly avoided it becoming root bound as it looked crazy last trasplant, so defo keeping an eye on that.)

to me its amazing both how fragile AND resilient these plats are as a first time grower, ive mostly been just reading a bit and lots of trial and error, and as long as you eventually find whats making them look shitty they seem to bounce back! theres beena few times its looked miserable but yeh think just make the right adjustments and its all good!

one question is i hear they will fill any pot eventually, and yeh already thinking about another pot only a week or so after transplanting so wondering if theres a way to stop needing a new pot every week ior two without it getting root bound etc?

Edited by Bagseedbro
1 person likes this

Well done man! I wasn't expecting such an improvement. Hopefully you will get a female from it now. Bagseed can be a gamble in my experience but if you are doing it just for fun what's to loose. You might catch the gardening bug and expand for next year. Gardening is all about next year 

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Ignatius_j_Reilly said:

Well done man! I wasn't expecting such an improvement. Hopefully you will get a female from it now. Bagseed can be a gamble in my experience but if you are doing it just for fun what's to loose. You might catch the gardening bug and expand for next year. Gardening is all about next year  

yeh man like i said, its not always looked so healthy but really upped the amount im feeding it and put it in a bigger pot and it went nuts! like you say even if its not female its great just watching it grow so quick and a pretty badass plant, but fingers crossed!

also the craziest thing is looking in my flowerbed i found this literally just growing amongst some wildflower and a few weeds! i keep my plant in the garden if its nice n sunny and guessing it must have somehow dopped a seed? is that how it works?! but thats definitely ganja right?

large.IMG_6095.JPG

3 people like this

That's cool, plant only drops seeds when it's finished flowering so definitely not from that plant.

7 minutes ago, Richtofen,blackops said:

That's cool, plant only drops seeds when it's finished flowering so definitely not from that plant.

ok crazy rhe only thing i can think of is i tried another 2 seeds but they never germinated as far as i knew, and 1 had the very first leaves (i wanna say cotledytes?!) stuck together, so maybe i just chucked the soil in the bed and somehow it started to work?!

Yeh thatl be it pal hopefully youl have at least 1 female now

58 minutes ago, Richtofen,blackops said:

Yeh thatl be it pal hopefully youl have at least 1 female now

think ive seen some of the pre-flowers with the two little white hairs in the "armpits" on the potted one like in the link someone sent so i think were all good on that front!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Bagseedbro said:

yeh man like i said, its not always looked so healthy but really upped the amount im feeding it and put it in a bigger pot and it went nuts! like you say even if its not female its great just watching it grow so quick and a pretty badass plant, but fingers crossed!

also the craziest thing is looking in my flowerbed i found this literally just growing amongst some wildflower and a few weeds! i keep my plant in the garden if its nice n sunny and guessing it must have somehow dopped a seed? is that how it works?! but thats definitely ganja right?

large.IMG_6095.JPG

Haha what are the odds of that happening ? It ain't called weed for nothing it will grow anywhere 

1 person likes this

large.IMG_6139.JPGlarge.IMG_6142.JPGlarge.IMG_6143.JPGlarge.IMG_6144.JPG

Ok so its growing like a mad at the moment, last photo was from wednesday but from what ive read, the little thing with the two hairs (not overly clear in the picture, but very visible on the real thing) so pretty pleased about that. i guess my question is now, is the best thing to do just wait out the rest of summer and wait for it to flower naturally as the days get shorter? how long is it likely to be until it starts flowering? or should i try trigger flowering myself as you would growing inside?

3 people like this

Congratulations on a girl.  I grow in my greenhouse in NW UK and I grow auto and photo sensitive plants.  I start to notice flowering in early September for the photo's and generally get an end of October to early November finish.  I have never tried to force flower plants but many do with great results if you can commit to taking them into a dark place for 12 hours every day.  This will initiate flowering and allow an earlier harvest.

I've just read through your thread and I'm not sure what to recommend due to your growing environment?  If you are definitely keeping it in the house, force flowering maybe the way to go as it will get pretty big if you don't.  Maybe commit to a garden location if you have one and ride it out for the season?

Your house will totally reek of weed during flowering if you just have it in front of your window.  The postman will smell it, your clothes will smell of it and you won't even notice.

But, just one plant in the garden with cool neighbours won't be an issue.  The smell will dissipate.

Best of luck to you...

3 people like this

23 hours ago, inapond13 said:

Congratulations on a girl.  I grow in my greenhouse in NW UK and I grow auto and photo sensitive plants.  I start to notice flowering in early September for the photo's and generally get an end of October to early November finish.  I have never tried to force flower plants but many do with great results if you can commit to taking them into a dark place for 12 hours every day.  This will initiate flowering and allow an earlier harvest.

I've just read through your thread and I'm not sure what to recommend due to your growing environment?  If you are definitely keeping it in the house, force flowering maybe the way to go as it will get pretty big if you don't.  Maybe commit to a garden location if you have one and ride it out for the season?

Your house will totally reek of weed during flowering if you just have it in front of your window.  The postman will smell it, your clothes will smell of it and you won't even notice.

But, just one plant in the garden with cool neighbours won't be an issue.  The smell will dissipate.

Best of luck to you...

thanks mate, my situation with the garden is i am just a bit worried about the rain/wind but as i said i know nothing. can a plant out in the open survive the erratic nature of a british summer? i am also generally keeping it in the garden while theres sun in there, then bringing it in when its getting darker. is my house still gunna smell like crazy? i dont mind so much about smell but yeh maybe the misses doesnt want to go to work smelling extremely potently of ganja haha

4 hours ago, Bagseedbro said:

thanks mate, my situation with the garden is i am just a bit worried about the rain/wind but as i said i know nothing. can a plant out in the open survive the erratic nature of a british summer? i am also generally keeping it in the garden while theres sun in there, then bringing it in when its getting darker. is my house still gunna smell like crazy? i dont mind so much about smell but yeh maybe the misses doesnt want to go to work smelling extremely potently of ganja haha

Oh yes it will stink to high f#cking heavens and she will be pi$$ed right off.

Try it once then you will see for next year and yes they can survive outdoors. If you know nothing you should really reaserch the process involved in growing of the plant .i.e potential problems and how to solve them.

Id just leave it in a space that gets 6 hours sun minimum more the better if able to without nosey neigbors