Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thedon88

Standard household bulb?

20 posts in this topic

So stupidly a few months back I gave a friend a loan of my tent lights etc etc. I can’t get them back due to the lockdown. I have started a test run auto glueberry og that’s only 7 days I have more seeds for may but still want this one to do well. I have a standard cfl 15 watt energy saver bulb off a lamp can I use this to supplement lighting in a cupboard until the weather gets better if I put it in right next to the plant as there is not much heat off it? Or does it not have enough lumens? May be a stupid question but please bear in mind I usually use HPS/MH for indoors. Any info much appreciated. 

1 person likes this

They work better then you would think mate. There is a post in the DIY section about household led bulbs there's some scary big buds posted grown under 6x15w led house bulbs. 

I know from experience cfl housebulbs work fine I have used them for a few weeks of veg before.

4 people like this

Ok scratch that can’t figure out how to delete post. Forgot I had a 250 watt mh that needed re wiring just did that and set up in cupboard so rocking and rolling!!

3 people like this

29 minutes ago, Asterion said:

They work better then you would think mate. There is a post in the DIY section about household led bulbs there's some scary big buds posted grown under 6x15w led house bulbs. 

I know from experience cfl housebulbs work fine I have used them for a few weeks of veg before.

Thanks mate but just re wired 250watt that was hiding in the attic and I forgot about thanks anyway 

1 person likes this

@Asterion next question if you don’t mind mate this bulb is ancient 250MH from my first grow 13/14 years ago I can’t get a fan, except online again due to lockdown. in a small cupboard that literally takes the reflector perfectly, how far should/can I keep it from seedling currently about 2ft away 

22 minutes ago, Thedon88 said:

currently about 2ft away

that's fine mate, but you can double check by using the back of your hand at plant height, if it burns your hand it will burn the plant

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, ratdog said:

that's fine mate, but you can double check by using the back of your hand at plant height, if it burns your hand it will burn the plant

Nice one mate that’s what I did but wasn’t 100%without ventilation should only be for few days anyway 

3 minutes ago, Thedon88 said:

Nice one mate that’s what I did but wasn’t 100%without ventilation should only be for few days anyway 

i would either open the door every couple of hours or personally i would leave it ajar, if light escaping is an issue hang something over the gap to block it a bit?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, ratdog said:

hang something over the gap to block it a bit

I’ve a blanket over it mate yeah havta do for now didn’t want to stunt her as an auto shite wet cold day here. Light  should get her flying along. Cheers for the help man.

Edited by Thedon88
1 person likes this

Just now, Thedon88 said:

Cheers for the help man.

no worries, and good luck with it mate

1 person likes this

As above I just get my hand under the light and see how it feels.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Asterion @ratdog back to the cfl i go!! Close call this evening do not use antique growing equipment!! there was me thinking I was a right clever bollocks getting it rewired and set up. . luckily it tripped and i had a fire blanket on hand. Could have been a lot worse!! could it be dust inside the ballast or what caused it?92400328_1108367806171774_2618896359306035200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQlOfRdLZhoWHX-dfSFw6ZcaU-8UhzqXLc6LSGSDPgsQbLPMyrsdV36Nk7MMkzZCsDzVrVSVYA6m77_edp_bc5nI&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=0ef2831841b95fda5ac5c364d37ff6bd&oe=5EC005A7

Before anyone says it was my wiring I didnt wire the ballast only to the bulb!! 

Edited by Thedon88
5 people like this

It was analog? Digital ballast are like the power supplies in computers I'm pretty sure. Safe, and built to not start fire. 

1 person likes this

Close call man iv almost burnt my house down once too mate it's part of the fun :smug:. Fan controller what had me over. 

Probably hard to get hold of atm but you can pick up fire extinguisher balls for about 25 if they exceed 85° they blow up and spray powder everywhere could pull you out of the shit getting 1 mate. I have a few of them just rolling around ontop of my tent. Variac ballast and all sockets in range of them I think should the worst ever happen.

Glad you're ok anyways man and cfl ain't all that bad you will see. 

large.DSCN0227-2304x1728.JPG

This plant is under a cfl. It's a big 1 300watt but it's exactly the same really plants don't struggle to grow under them it's not as fast as hps though.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Redeyezman said:

It was analog? Digital ballast are like the power supplies in computers I'm pretty sure. Safe, and built to not start fire. 

magnetic ballast im not even sure if  digital were around back then(maybe i couldnt afford them at that age haha)

@Asterion tis all part of the fun just have to listen to the mrs for a couple of days, and i already have a headache from the plastic smoke!! :thumbdown: ha. . . nothing like that ever happened before to me yet over the years live and learn hey, fuck it might have to invest in a few!! better safe than sorry!!!

2 people like this