Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TommyTrichome

Some pointers from you naughty Guerrillas

25 posts in this topic

G'day to everyone, 

I'd imagine every one is flat out prepping for a 'true guerrilla experience' during the lockdown! 

Was just looking for advice really, only just setup my first indoor attempt but figure in for a penny, in for a pound! 

I'm lucky enough to have been offered use of a super private, South facing plot which literally gets un disturbed all day sunlight with no surrounding neighbours etc by a very close lifelong friend of mine.

Very secure and private area plus there are 3 big fuck off guarf Rottweilers on site too just for extra piece of mind. 

By the looks of it it's been a veg patch of Some sort in its lifetime by previous owners of the property so hoping with a bit of work that one of these beds can be turned into a little outdoor jobbie, 

Water supply there as well as a big fresh river at worst case... plenty of cow/horse shit nearby too (if that helps) 

Obviously bunny rabbits and foxes etc are around so I know I'm going to have to cage up etc but just wanted a few pointers on how to prep the ground and in which manner to do so.

It's not a major drama for me to get back and too there on a regular basis as far as feeding/watering/maintenance so I don't know if that makes a difference as to how I go about ground prep/fert. 

Although I'm sure it would be prime for photos, I'd rather hit it hard with some big yielding autos for that faster finish making the most of our brightest and warmest months for the whole cycle.

I can start them indoors and I guess ideally get them planted out late may to ensure decent night temps? I'd imagine it's the type of place that could get a little misty in the early hours.

Again, not sure on numbers, genetics or prep yet so any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a snap of the plot at 20:15 last night.

I can have as much or as little as I want but figured that middle bed would be my favoured choice and almost build a bed within a bed. 

Was favouring the Bakery seed co. - auto mazar due to good mould and pest resistance genetics.

Have done some research on ground prep myself already but so many different options and methods I thought I'd reach out as I know there is a tonne of experience here 

Thanks guys 

large.20200416_195341_compress13.jpg

Edited by TommyTrichome
10 people like this

Is the land on the right hand of the wall you mates too?  If not I would be a bit nervous growing in those beds .

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Doby Mick said:

Is the land on the right hand of the wall you mates too?  If not I would be a bit nervous growing in those beds .

Yes mate, everything you can see plus around 3 acres around it... I'm standing in one of their gardens taking the shot! 

3 people like this

Lovely spot, I'd be turning it over incorporating lots of the cow/horse manure, perhaps some compost / peat too if you have it.  Depending on soil type maybe also some calcified seaweed or dolomite lime.  

As for genetics, I know I said not giving out another seed of these, but this is such a nice spot you have...  I'll give it a think...

MWF

large.MWFs1.JPGlarge.mwfs1-1.jpglarge.mwfs1-3.jpg

If rabbits are present then I'd personally make a perimeter fence 600mm with max 31mm hole size, round the entire bed as apposed to cages. 

Seems like they've got a really lovely spot there.. 

8 people like this

7 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Lovely spot, I'd be turning it over incorporating lots of the cow/horse manure, perhaps some compost / peat too if you have it.  Depending on soil type maybe also some calcified seaweed or dolomite lime.  

As for genetics, I know I said not giving out another seed of these, but this is such a nice spot you have...  I'll give it a think...

MWF

large.MWFs1.JPGlarge.mwfs1-1.jpglarge.mwfs1-3.jpg

If rabbits are present then I'd personally make a perimeter fence 600mm with max 31mm hole size, round the entire bed as apposed to cages. 

Seems like they've got a really lovely spot there.. 

That is an incredibly kind thought of you. She a beautiful specimen!!! 

Looks as happy as a pig in muck there too. 

Yes I was thinking perimeter fence with chicken wire then some smaller circular cages as a back up... 

I'm not expecting like "rabbit social club" but they are feisty little buggers so wanted to be safe... I'll scatter slug pellets everywhere too.

I have access to 'shop bought compost' which I can amend with poop and the dug out soil...

as far as knowing the ph of the ground that's there, is that essential.. I know ph is important but soil also buffers etc.

Would you dig out pits then or turn over the whole work area? @Amarillo slim.

Thanks for the input dude 

6 people like this

If you do a good job with the perimeter fence then I wouldn't bother with secondary cages personally unless rabbits are in particular abundance in this setting (seems unlikely from description and pic). But of course, if Beatrix Potter taught us anything, its that it pays not to underestimate rabbits as a pest.

1 hour ago, TommyTrichome said:

I'll scatter slug pellets everywhere too.

The standard blue ones are pretty nasty as the slugs and snails poisoned can then go on to poison hedgehogs etc, a perimeter fence would limit this but still I would opt for organic / wildlife friendly alternatives where possible. Ferric phosphate pellets are better than the standard ones for this, but I would still only use sparingly at early stages or when signs of damage occur.  Perhaps things like beer traps and copper tape might be worth a look..? 

Theres also couple people on here have made little 'collars' from PVC pipe or similar, which have conductive tape linked to batteries in such a way that it makes it impossible for any slugs to crawl up the stem of the plant @uberowl showed one of these recently, @Andromedianand @zuguse similar.  Perhaps over kill for plants you can keep an eye on, but I think Its a neat idea as very effective, using physical as apposed to chemicals to combat slugs and snails.  

I have access to 'shop bought compost' which I can amend with poop and the dug out soil...

Not knowing the compost I can't really say if it would definitely be of benefit. Certainly not essential.  Do the land owners have a compost heap / somewhere they dump grass clippings?  

as far as knowing the ph of the ground that's there, is that essential.. I know ph is important but soil also buffers etc.

PH is probably fine, unless your'e in an area that has particularly acidic or alkaline soils then I wouldn't worry.  Beds have obviously been used for veggies before and weeds seem to be doing ok so yeah, I unless you already have a tester I would just assume fine and go ahead...  

Would you dig out pits then or turn over the whole work area?

Turn over the whole area incorporating the organic matter etc this first year, from then on just add new layers of organic matter to the top each year,  practicing 'no dig'.  Thats what I'd do anyway, theres not always a right and wrong, lots of ways to skin a cat.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
7 people like this

2 hours ago, TommyTrichome said:

Yes mate, everything you can see plus around 3 acres around it... I'm standing in one of their gardens taking the shot! 

Get in !!!  :)

2 people like this

@Amarillo slim thankyou for that super informative input. 

I was actually just looking at copper tape online regarding the slimey little fellows! 

I'd very much rather not have to kill anything of course.. Very much a lo we of mother nature, equally I can't have the buggers eating my crop. I will definitely look at addressing it in an environmentally friendly manner though. 

No second cages needed, that is noted! 

Unfortunately they don't currently have a compost pile but I've also been told that I can get one going so may build a raised bed frame type thing to get one going while I'm there, plenty of green and brown waste around there.

I will turn over and amend the whole planting site then.

Just for reference- the compost I have is Westland- the gardeners multi purpose compost line. 

Thanks again for your input so far sir, tis much appreciated! 

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Doby Mick said:

Get in !!!  :)

Pretty much mate yep! :yep:

1 person likes this

You haven't got the fishing on that river as well have you?That looks superb for chub.

2 people like this

@TommyTrichome

Howdy neighbourino. 

That's a sick plot. 

What an oportunity. 

You would be insane not to plant at least a couple of fast/quick photo strains as they are just so much more forgiving. 

@panik has you covered bro. 

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Ch@ppers said:

You haven't got the fishing on that river as well have you?That looks superb for chub.

Haha I've never taken up fishing as a past time to be honest but yes the river runs directly through their property and they have been given the rights to fish at will there. 

2 people like this

Just now, TommyTrichome said:

Haha I've never taken up fishing as a past time to be honest but yes the river runs directly through their property and they have been given the rights to fish at will there. 

I could tell the water has chub written all over it,i would spend all my time fishing there,looks like a fishermans wet dream of a place.

5 people like this

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

@TommyTrichome

Howdy neighbourino. 

That's a sick plot. 

What an oportunity. 

You would be insane not to plant at least a couple of fast/quick photo strains as they are just so much more forgiving. 

@panik has you covered bro. 

Howdly doodly @Ned Flanders

Yea I've struck it pretty lucky to say the least.. I'd be very interested in fast photos, my only attraction to autos is that they're guaranteed to finish while the weather is still prime, I figure even fast finishers sat in a super bright area are going to take their time vegging no? As I said- lack of experience so apologies if I sound daft! 

1 minute ago, Ch@ppers said:

I could tell the water has chub written all over it,i would spend all my time fishing there,looks like a fishermans wet dream of a place.

I Might have to buy a rod and a pitchfork then haha 

1 person likes this