Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Flavoured_

First grow - Be gentle

56 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I've been a bit of a lurker for a while and thought it best I leave a diary, or at least outline how my first attempt is going!

You'll have to excuse me as I've been a bit lacklustre in terms of keeping everything up to date and I still haven't figured out how to upload pics :smokin: But I'm now on day 18 since germ so here's my private notes so far:

CITY SEEDS KOSHER KUSH GROW 

Equipment:

Tent 60x60x140cm

Mars Hydro TS1000 LED

4" rhino/ram filter+fan combo

12"oscillating fan

1' tube heater for lights off

Plant level:

9 litre fabric pots

Biobizz light mix+all mix

Biobizz rootjuice/grow/bloom/topmax

Days 1-10 I followed @Serpent how to grow autos in soil guide and it helped massively so shoutout to you buddy :thumsup:

Day 1: 23/03 Germinated: Damp paper towel in ziplock (closed) in airing cupboard

Day 3: 25/03 TAPROOT 3-5mm Into solo cups (Biobizz light mix - pre wetted) covered with cup, sprayed with water to increase humidity until soil break In airing cupboard

Day 4: 26/03 (around 21hrs later) SOIL BREAK

Temps 24-29 humid 35-55 Into tent, kept moist, under 24hr lighting. Still covered with sprayed cups,

Day 5 Still moist Temp: 27 Humid: 40%

Using wet shirt to increase humidity Not much progress - hoping ^RH% will help

Day 6 Temp 27-29 Humid around 65%

Given very light watering with spray bottle but leaves starting to fade?

Day 7 Leaves more faded

Day 8: 30/3 Temps 27-29 Humid low 40 high 77 steady average 68-70

Finally got fan+filter setup. Cups moist, soil lightly watered

Day 9: 31/03 Temps 27-29 humid 50-60%

Final pots in tent to acclimatise soil

2L water+0.5ml rootjuice for pre-wetting final pots

Day 10: 01/04 Temps 27-30 humid 60-70% FINAL POT TRANSFER

Leaves were starting to droop slightly - due to rootjuice overfeed ?

Given 1L water (very small amount of runoff to flush rootjuice)

Day 11: 02/04 Temps 27-30 humid low 55 High 70

Recovering from transfer really well, good new growth - 3rd set of cotyledon leaves showing

Day 12: 03/04 Temps 27-30 humid 55-65

Added oscillating fan

Day 13: 04/04 Temps 27-30 Humid 47-55 Big growth on 2nd set of leaves

Day 14: 05/04 Temps 28.5-31 humid 55-60

WATERING 1L per plant No nutes

Day 15: 06/04 Temps 27-30 Humid 47-50

FIRST ATTEMPT AT LST

I've no idea what I'm doing - tied main stem down and started tucking leaves maybe too soon ?

Day 16: 07/04 Temps up at 29/30 Humid up 60+

Day 17: Temps 29-30 Humid 50-55

1 or 2 big leaves leaves starting to curl - one leaf showing rusty tip

Day 18: Temps high 29-32!! Humid 45-55

Raised light to highest point and lowered intensity to 50% (as advised by Mars Hydro)

Temps concerning but extraction on full blast

Noticed a couple vaguely rusty spots

One minuscule tear/hole in a leaf

I know my temps and humidity are moving mad but it's dependent on the time of day and I'm struggling to regulate them both

It's just nice to be able to share my progress with like-minded enthusiasts and to know there's a vast wealth of information and knowledge to take in so thanks for stopping by and hope you've enjoyed the long read.

Pop in occasionally for updates and to see how these babies progress! (If I can figure out pics :bangin:)

PEACE AND LOVE :skin_up:

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hey, welcome.... 

Those temps are way high though bro your gonna smoke it before you've grown it!!

Rust spots are probably light/heat stress I'd imagine dude.

You need to drop temps like immediately...

Sorry to say but a mars hydro 1000 in a 60x60x140 is your problem. Thats enough for a 120x120x200 and some.... what are you extracting with just a 4"? 

That's gonna need to be bigger too mate.  

TT 

Edited by TommyTrichome
1 person likes this

Damn, do you think even fully dimmed it'd still roast em ? I'm a little more than concerned now aha :crybaby:I've got purple light but I've no idea of the technical specs, I guess I'll give that a go for a couple days ?

1 person likes this

I've got an old blurple light* 

1 person likes this

To be honest I'm no expert by a long shot dude - I'm on my first run too with Led lighting.. I have seen blurples mentioned/used. I would certainly recomment that over your ts1000 at the minute.

I know that over 28 degrees is entering danger zone, anything past 30 and your literally killing them mate, specially at 18 ish days old. Ideally temps need to range between 25 and 28 max...

So you either need

*bigger extraction- like big, plus cold intake.

*bigger space/Tent

*Smaller light/heat source.

I hate being the bearer of bad news dude and the last thing I want to do is take a dump on your chips but to succeed your temps and light intensity are going to need tweaking or your setting yourself up for a tumble.

Even extreme measures, cracking a window open etc for now just to stabilise the environment until you figure out how your going to play it. 

Although it's not what you wanted to hear, I hope it helps keep your ladies alive a bit longer as I'd imagine they probably look quite brittle and patchy by now.

Best of luck buddy 

TT :bong:

Posted (edited)

Hi and welcome.

Your light:

Actual Wattage:of 150W is ideal in that space.  Try to keep it at a safe flowering distance of 18 inches if possible.
3 hours ago, Flavoured_ said:

Noticed a couple vaguely rusty spots

Be careful with your watering as this could be early signs of major root issues caused by over watering.  Make sure never to water/feed unless the pot is light and clearly in need of water.

Pics would be really helpful though.  This should help...

And your fan, which I think pulls 199m3h should be more than adequate in that space.  How have you got your ducting set up? Any sharp bends? Any tears in the ducting? And is your passive vent a reasonable size?  Sounds like you're struggling to bring cooler air into the tent.

Edited by JJJ
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thank for replying guys - I took heed of @TommyTrichome temperature advice and tried out the blurple light, that didn't work out as I couldn't maintain temps above 17/18 and the light coverage was extremely poor imo.

So I've hooked up the mars hydro again, and have dimmed it to around 35-40% - this seems to have been holding temps around 27/28.5

I also looked at my equipment specs a little more carefully and @JJJ like you said, the fan should be pulling more than enough, the passive intake comes from 3 vents at the bottom of the tent (I've fully opened one and slightly displaced velcro on the other 2). I've also resorted to now moving the 12" fan outside the tent, blowing through the mesh vent to try and force a cool intake (I also considered the fan giving the plants wind burn even on lowest setting) and a small 6" pole mounted fan inside.

Here are a few pictures of the sick leaves (curled and spotted)

large.Resizer_15865245895729.jpglarge.Resizer_15865245895720.jpglarge.Resizer_158652458957210.jpglarge.Resizer_158652458957211.jpg

Thanks guys - more photos to follow as well

PEACE AND LOVE :smokin:

Edited by Flavoured_
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately these photos aren't dated and are a little few and far between but I'll do my best to put them in chronological order: 

Days 1-10 

large.Resizer_15865279189212.jpglarge.Resizer_15865279189211.jpg

Day 10 - Just after transfer into final potslarge.Resizer_158652458957212.jpg

days 12-18large.Resizer_15865245895724.jpglarge.Resizer_15865245895723.jpglarge.Resizer_15865245895728.jpglarge.Resizer_158652458957215.jpglarge.Resizer_15865245895721.jpg

Edited by Flavoured_
2 people like this

Using pretty big pouches. Take care not to create an oxygen deprived environment for your roots through waterlogging. Did you pot up?

2 people like this

29 minutes ago, PlanetCaravan said:

Using pretty big pouches. Take care not to create an oxygen deprived environment for your roots through waterlogging. Did you pot up?

Thanks for stopping by dude, I went from the solo cups into the 9L pots and have them raised from the floor, I'm thinking next watering I'll halve it and add 0.5ml/pL of grow (Won't be for a couple days still)

Be careful with blowing air in through the passive vent.  I had the same idea and the tent puffed up, so yeah - positive pressure meaning smell leaks.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Flavoured_ said:

Thanks for stopping by dude, I went from the solo cups into the 9L pots and have them raised from the floor, I'm thinking next watering I'll halve it and add 0.5ml/pL of grow (Won't be for a couple days still)

Go real easy on watering do proper wet and dry cycles to force the roots to search for water. Next time I would suggest a smaller jump between pots and to make sure they have a nice root structure before reporting.

I do 0.5l / 5l / 10l and then either 15 or 20l depending on how long I've vegged. Not looking too bad for a first grow mate. Try and keep temps down, maybe open a passive intake if you can while maintaining negative pressure. Although won't be slot of smell during veg anyway.

Edited by PlanetCaravan
1 person likes this

So, moving the 12" outside and adding the 6" inside did drop the temps to 27.5 but the rh to around 40-45%. To combat this, I've hung a damp top with the fan directed at it. Currently sitting at 55%

large.Resizer_15866004097420.jpglarge.Resizer_15866004097421.jpg

@PlanetCaravan All taken on board sir, I'll be waiting until the pots feel a bit lighter and the top soil's dried out a bit more.

I did think it was a bit of a jump for a seedling but I was a bit sceptical about the limited timeframe of autos.

Today I'll be waiting until the main stem stretches a bit further before beginning to train the girls 'around the pot'. It's lucky I'm stuck in lockdown and can check on them every couple hours.

Also, in hindsight, I'm glad I started training when I did and got all the major bands in as now the main stems are really starting to strengthen up and become much less pliable.

PEACE AND LOVE

2 people like this

Nice one dude, glad your getting on track with it! 

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, Flavoured_ said:

So, moving the 12" outside and adding the 6" inside did drop the temps to 27.5 but the rh to around 40-45%. To combat this, I've hung a damp top with the fan directed at it. Currently sitting at 55%

large.Resizer_15866004097420.jpglarge.Resizer_15866004097421.jpg

@PlanetCaravan All taken on board sir, I'll be waiting until the pots feel a bit lighter and the top soil's dried out a bit more.

I did think it was a bit of a jump for a seedling but I was a bit sceptical about the limited timeframe of autos.

Today I'll be waiting until the main stem stretches a bit further before beginning to train the girls 'around the pot'. It's lucky I'm stuck in lockdown and can check on them every couple hours.

Also, in hindsight, I'm glad I started training when I did and got all the major bands in as now the main stems are really starting to strengthen up and become much less pliable.

PEACE AND LOVE

Looking good mate.

1 person likes this