Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

B-real95

First time, what medium should I use?

23 posts in this topic

I'll be attempting autoflowers.

I'll be using a 12L fabric bag.

I have no idea what medium to use. Preferably I dont want to have loads of different nutes so does anyone have any suggestions on a mix I can buy and what nutes to buy?

I've scoured the internet and everywhere says different things so thought I'd come here to hear about your experiences. 

Thanks guys

1 person likes this

I'm a new grower myself - I'm in compost, a lot of people may suggest biobizz nutes with their medium, you have plagron royal mix or you can go coco. It depends on how hands-on you want to me imo. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, MedicalMike420 said:

I'm a new grower myself - I'm in compost, a lot of people may suggest biobizz nutes with their medium, you have plagron royal mix or you can go coco. It depends on how hands-on you want to me imo. 

Hi again Mike:D

Okay sweet, I'm drawn to biobizz light mix atm because that's what most people have recommended on forums. 

This is where I get all confused, what nutes do i go for lol, theres just so many and my mind has taken in too much info over the past 2 weeks to be able to make a clear decision or even think logically haha.

I want to have to do as little work as possible tbh with you and see how it goes. I understand this is a whole new learning curve so I'd like to get it all up and running and cross bridges if and when needed. I'm still going to be hands on but I dont want to be spending £10 here, £25 there, another £10 somewhere else for all these nutrients that I have no understanding of if you get me.

Thank you again for the info Mike:D

1 person likes this

Just now, B-real95 said:

Hi again Mike:D

Okay sweet, I'm drawn to biobizz light mix atm because that's what most people have recommended on forums. 

This is where I get all confused, what nutes do i go for lol, theres just so many and my mind has taken in too much info over the past 2 weeks to be able to make a clear decision or even think logically haha.

I want to have to do as little work as possible tbh with you and see how it goes. I understand this is a whole new learning curve so I'd like to get it all up and running and cross bridges if and when needed. I'm still going to be hands on but I dont want to be spending £10 here, £25 there, another £10 somewhere else for all these nutrients that I have no understanding of if you get me.

Thank you again for the info Mike:D

Just buy some Biobizz grow and bloom, some would argue to swap grow for fishmix. it's up to you. But that's the basics, you may need some calmag depending on how your water is etc. But lightmix is great :) you'll get a feed schedule for lightmix just follow that and keep your root temps up around 21- 25 C :) These are hard lessons I've learnt on my first grow lol

Use compost/soil.

Pick a nutrient brand a go with it for a few grows see how it works out for you.

Why no go the organic route, it's only a few pounds more a grow. works out a penny more a gram or something like that.

I like me some fish mix and seaweed in veg. Then I go for bloom nutes in flower.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

a sack of B + Q  verve fresh as ya can buy !!!  some perlite say 10 %  a few spoon fulls of dolomite + 3 hail mary`s watch me go lol  cheap as chips + the fungas gnats are FOC... but a bottle of scotts will rid them over night. :beer:   then a bottle of tomorite is all i need.;)  good luck.

god bless the bumgordo / yosser hughes.......... :headpain:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
keyboards full of ash
2 people like this

You say you want to do this with as little work as poss and cheapo ?  Stick them in the ground outside in a decent sunny position , and give em a splash of tomato feed  when you can see evidence of flowering . You will get some weed .

Its a bit like love though . The love you take is equal to the love you make . I give my ladies some serious lovin :)

3 people like this

1 hour ago, MedicalMike420 said:

Just buy some Biobizz grow and bloom, some would argue to swap grow for fishmix. it's up to you. But that's the basics, you may need some calmag depending on how your water is etc. But lightmix is great :) you'll get a feed schedule for lightmix just follow that and keep your root temps up around 21- 25 C :) These are hard lessons I've learnt on my first grow lol

I have a zero smart water filter. I think that's what it is anyway. I'm planning on putting the water through that first. Dont know if that's a good idea because it strips the water of everything. The filter can turn wine into water it's that good lol, phillip Schofield showed it before. I'll look them up then, cheers again Mike 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Use compost/soil.

Pick a nutrient brand a go with it for a few grows see how it works out for you.

Why no go the organic route, it's only a few pounds more a grow. works out a penny more a gram or something like that.

I like me some fish mix and seaweed in veg. Then I go for bloom nutes in flower.

I plan to go down the organic route tbh, I prefer organic. 

When you say fish mix and veg, is that an added nutrient or a mix? Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask lol

11 minutes ago, Doby Mick said:

You say you want to do this with as little work as poss and cheapo ?  Stick them in the ground outside in a decent sunny position , and give em a splash of tomato feed  when you can see evidence of flowering . You will get some weed .

Its a bit like love though . The love you take is equal to the love you make . I give my ladies some serious lovin :)

I live on an estate so not possibly unfortunately.

I plan to give it some serious loving, I cant go into detail about that here though because I risk being sectioned;)

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, B-real95 said:

When you say fish mix and veg, is that an added nutrient or a mix? Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask

Fish mix is available from a few different suppliers, it is VERY high in nitrogen, so use it sparingly.

It is called fish mix, because it is fish heads, fish guts, all fermented up in a bucket for awhile and then blitzed up and fermented more., they then dilute it with water so you can pour it out.

It sounds disgusting, it smells worse, but it is very powerful and is a great addition to feeding in the veg cycle which is 18 on and 6 hours off.

I personally like to compliment this with a little seaweed, for nutrients and vitamins.

Go easy when the plants are little, they don't need much.

I buy specific bloom nutrients when I put the plants on 12-12 and swap the bulb over. First two weeks of flower get a little fish mix as well and then the bloom nutes only.

Get your fish mix from the grow shop and the organic seaweed from the garden centre.

The reason I suggested soil is that it can be quite forgiving to a novice grower.

The soil acts as a nutural buffer, so if you make a mistake the soild can compensate, or if you really screw up, you can just flush the soil with water and your plants will be fine in ten days.

My weed isn't the best, it's good enough for me.

It won't win any trophys, but I know it has been grown with love and care, I know what went into it, the effort that I put into it and I am proud of that .

Choose a few strains, find out what you like, you will be surprised at the differences.

Don't waste the trim, make qwiso oil.

When you are trimming your hands will get sticky with resin, this is charras, add some to qwiso oil and have a smoke.

You  will do this the and be amazied at the fantastic herb you have produced. They you will do it again and the second attempt will blow you away, twice as strong as yoru first attempt and looks like the weed you always dreamed of.

3 people like this

Biobizz Light Mix is fine but doesn't contain much in the way of nutrition.  If you're happy to start feeding from the 2nd week of growth then this is the one for you. In fact many growers seem to like this as it gives them control over the feeding from very early on in the cycle.

Or you could go for something which will keep your plants fed for longer.  I grow autos and I find they're happy in Plant Magic soil as it's really well aerated. It keeps the plants fed for around 3 weeks, by which point your autoflower will be starting to grow very quickly.  This is the point to get some grow nutrients started.

Clover is another popular soil and pretty cheap too.  And Batmix is serious stuff which will keep an auto fed for at least 4 weeks - hot stuff though so not always suitable.  There are loads of other soils available at hydro stores and most of them are good enough and similarly priced.

1 person likes this

If it were me, I'd start on coco coir/peat. 

I've just moved over from soil to coco peat and the difference is phenomenal. My plants are MUCH healthier than they ever were in soil, they're growing far quicker and coco doesn't retain water, so you can't really over-water your plants. As for nutes, go with General Hydroponics nutes or the equivalent hydro nutes (Grow, Micro and Bloom). They normally run cheaper than organic nutes like the BiozBizz range, which is what I use for my outdoor plants. 

I personally think coco is more forgiving than soil and easier to fix plant issues quickly.

1 person likes this

Thank you all for the advice I'm extremely grateful for all of you. I've ordered biobizz all mix and also the biobizz grow and bloom nutrients so hopefully all goes well

3 people like this

On 06/04/2020 at 8:38 PM, B-real95 said:

I'll be attempting autoflowers.

I'll be using a 12L fabric bag.

I have no idea what medium to use. Preferably I dont want to have loads of different nutes so does anyone have any suggestions on a mix I can buy and what nutes to buy?

I've scoured the internet and everywhere says different things so thought I'd come here to hear about your experiences. 

Thanks guys

I started with biobizz but it is terrible. I use tropic bat mix. Much better. Shogun nutes. Always had huge issues with lockout using biobizz.its ridiculously expensive too.

An A/B nutrient is also less fucking about.