Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dynex CEO

Ionic Nutrients for Tropic Mix? Any better alternatives?

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Getting back into growing after 1.5 years. I have used Westlands Jacks Magic for every grow since starting in 2011 but the last bags I got were full of flies, so I'm going to try Tropic Mix!

I'm all out of nutrients, usually used Growth Tech Ionic Root, Cal-Mag, Soil Grow and Bloom but now I'm changing medium I'm wondering if there is anything better out there for Tropic Mix? I've seen a lot of posts saying Shogun works well with Tropic Mix...

Thanks in advance :)

Max

1 person likes this

I would treat it like Coco. Using 1/4 to 1/2 feed for the first few weeks.

You can't go wrong with Coco in my opinion. Also biodegradable.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, mrevolve said:

You can't go wrong with Coco in my opinion. Also biodegradable.

Cool dude.

As long as I don't have to pH I'll use it! I enjoy not having to worry about pH with soil and Ionic but having trouble finding a good soil alternative. A good friend of mine has been nagging me to try coco. 

1 person likes this

I always pH my nutrients but not so much my runoff.

It's a good key indicator, but I just don't do it as much as I should. I've never been a big soil grower, so unfamiliar with the requirement of soil. If you use a drain to waste system you should be pretty safe with pH checking your nutrients.

If someone else recommends Coco, I'd keep it simple. Those tropic mixes are more blends. Personally, I've not seen any data that suggests one media is better than another when everything else is totally the same. I think it comes down to what system you prefer to use, your growing style.

Coco FTW!

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Dynex CEO said:

Cool dude.

As long as I don't have to pH I'll use it! I enjoy not having to worry about pH with soil and Ionic but having trouble finding a good soil alternative. A good friend of mine has been nagging me to try coco. 

Do not ph, tropic mix is pre buffered to 6.5pH.

I use BioBizz nutrients but the Shogun range is fine  make sure you buy the soil feed and not the coco feed.

2 people like this

49 minutes ago, mrevolve said:

I always pH my nutrients but not so much my runoff.

It's a good key indicator, but I just don't do it as much as I should. I've never been a big soil grower, so unfamiliar with the requirement of soil. If you use a drain to waste system you should be pretty safe with pH checking your nutrients.

If someone else recommends Coco, I'd keep it simple. Those tropic mixes are more blends. Personally, I've not seen any data that suggests one media is better than another when everything else is totally the same. I think it comes down to what system you prefer to use, your growing style.

Coco FTW!

Never had to pH with soil and Ionic nutrients, whenever I do for curiosity its bang on. 

45 minutes ago, Exhale said:

Do not ph, tropic mix is pre buffered to 6.5pH.

I use BioBizz nutrients but the Shogun range is fine  make sure you buy the soil feed and not the coco feed.

I thought so! Brilliant. Do you use anything but Grow and Bloom? I've got away with only using Root Stim, Grow, Bloom, Cal-mag and a PK Boost but these companies try to sell you their whole range lol

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mrevolve said:

It's classed as compost not coco ! no need for early feeding like coco or to PH.

60% peat 40% coco

I've been using Tropicmix for years its extremely fast to root through IMO and all round the best compost i've used.

I use Growers Ark Soil range nutrients.

Any nutrient line so long as its designed for soil should be fine.

1 hour ago, Dynex CEO said:

I have used Westlands Jacks Magic for every grow since starting in 2011 but the last bags I got were full of flies

Same reason as me for trying Tropic mix - Fungus gnats, never had them since using Tropic mix no wood so no fungus no Fungus gnats  

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Dynex CEO said:

Do you use anything but Grow and Bloom?

That's all I use, the tropic mix is a great medium with the peat and coco blend, had some really healthy roots on plain water.

large.20200211_150117_copy_1378x1378.jpg

I tried adding ecothrive charge but my LEDs are making the plants super hungry so I'm just sticking to the bottles as I can build up to the levels the plant needs and sustain it more reliably. 

3 people like this

4 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

4 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

never had them since using Tropic mix no wood so no fungus no Fungus gnats  

Good to read!

4 hours ago, Exhale said:

4 hours ago, Exhale said:

That's all I use, the tropic mix is a great medium with the peat and coco blend, had some really healthy roots on plain water.

Those are some of the pearliest roots I've ever seen!

I've been leaning towards Shogun as I've seen a lot of posts talking about "biobizz curse" in UK water? 

Then they go onto recommend Old Timer Grow and Bloom saying its formulated for Uk water, but I have seen a lot of feedback saying it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. So I default back to maybe sticking to Ionic or trying Shogun out lol 

@Dynex CEO there's a lot of information out there and the BioBizz formulation will have changed over time, It took me a while to figure out that I needn't be sticking to the chart so rigorously and that I needed to feed my plants more as the light was driving a heavier feed requirement.

With any feed you're going to have to figure out what you need based on the plants need, taking environment into account.

1 person likes this

stick with IOnic, its a great nutrient, ive been using it for years, with zero complaints. 

the nutes you mentioned having will be all you need, grow, bloom, cal mag (if needed) PK  is debatable whether it makes any difference (im not convinced it does, and ive been growing with it, and without it for yonks)

2 people like this

Since tropic mix has got calcium and magnesium added in a 2:1 ratio, i take it calmag won't be required if using very soft water?

@Punk#1

Cal/Mg will still be needed, the buffer releases it to slow to use without CA/MG if your in soft water.

"Unlike other potting soils, Tropic Mix contains a high quality magnesium limestone. This balance the pH and is a rich supply of calcium and magnesium! 

In fact, the Ca and Mg in Tropic Mix is at the ideal ratio of 2:1. Both the Calcium and Magnesium are slow release, so they are available to plants for over 9 months! "

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

@Punk#1

Cal/Mg will still be needed, the buffer releases it to slow to use without CA/MG if your in soft water.

"Unlike other potting soils, Tropic Mix contains a high quality magnesium limestone. This balance the pH and is a rich supply of calcium and magnesium! 

In fact, the Ca and Mg in Tropic Mix is at the ideal ratio of 2:1. Both the Calcium and Magnesium are slow release, so they are available to plants for over 9 months! "

Ahh ok thanks. Well I guess that's fair enough. Can't have it all I spose lol.

Next grow will be first time using it so just trying to get a good start

1 person likes this