Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lemoore00

Dimmable ballast or CMH?

Hi all,

I've just got a new tent, an 80x80x160. Ive been running a 600w HPS in a 1.2 but need to scale down.

I'm town between getting a digital ballast so I can dim it down to 400w (maybe lower in that space?), Or just get a 315w CMH lamp and the converter.

I'm in the shed so heat is a consideration, so in the summer months the cooler option would preferable. I can't really justify a diyled light right now, so it needs to be one of these choices unless there is another option...

I welcome your thoughts, cheers all

get the CMH.

2 people like this

Not got a cmh but if i had to buy again, i think i would possible be swayed, as the amount of great reviews. But the price of a bulb puts me off.

52 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

get the CMH.

What benefit will I see? It's almost double the cost of a dimmable ballast...that's the issue. But i have heard great things, but not sure if that outweighs the cost?

I wanted a 315w CMH but I was told in summer it would be too hot for my tent. I have a. 075m x 0.75m x 2m tent.

I think with our summers it will probably be ok but if we do get a decent summer I'm not so sure?

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

What benefit will I see? It's almost double the cost of a dimmable ballast...that's the issue. But i have heard great things, but not sure if that outweighs the cost?

you can grow better quality gear, that alone is worth the extra.

Either option is going to work for you mate. 

If cost is the biggest issue then get the digi ballast and a 400w lamp.

If not get the cmh, the lamps are £££ but the results seem to be worth extra outlay.

1 person likes this

I've found a lamp for a 100. I'l go with the CMH I think, and then also look to LED in the future, so if it gets hot I can swap it out

Cheers all