Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calif123

Filter vs Fan

Hi Chaps,

I've seen many questions regarding filters and fans but have not managed to make sense enough to answer a question i have regarding the sizes.

If I have a fan with 800m3/hr, what are the effects of oversizing the filter (eg 1200m3.hr)? I assume that it would offer less resistance, and therefore more efficient airflow through the system, but my question is whether the carbon filter, in order to filter odours properly, would need air to flow over them at the rated speed or is it just a max flow figure? eg is it safe (odour wise) to run air at less than the rated figure as specified for the filter?

Cheers as always!

1 person likes this

yes dude

the size of the filter isn’t relevant as long as the air is sucked through it will get cleaned

some filters are better than others though, mountain air filters have constantly been amazing

5 people like this

@twigs thanks for the info mate!

the filter should ALWAYS be rated at least 20% higher than the fan, to prevent pulling smells through it

2 people like this

Why’s there two sets of sizes , for example say you can either choose a 6inch CF from 500mm or 1000mm , when people say to over size is it meaning those choices above.
The fan I got is a 6inch Cloudline so what would be ideal and what speed would be needed to keep negative pressure whilst maintaining noise and if I have to go over speed 3/4 it defeats aim of the object of “silent” running.

So there’s a few question tangled up in there chaplings , can anyone assist be appreciated 

Regards C 

Posted (edited)

It's just the maximum air flow its rated for to be efficient at removing odours. The air has to be in contact with the carbon for a certain amount of time to be able to do the job. You can either get a longer filter or a wider one it doesn't really matter as long the air flow is rated a fair bit higher than the fan you'll be over sizing :yep:

Also I noticed when I upgraded my filter for one 200mm longer than the original it was considerably quieter.

Regarding maintaining neg pressure it all depends on intake size, passive or active intake etc... youd have to give a bit more detail on your extraction. As long as your pulling more air than what's going in you'll have neg pressure.

Edited by T0M
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that response Tom

Ok so we got a 90x90x185 space , there’s no

Intake , as mentioned it’s a Cloudline T6 (402CFM) replenishing air with 6in ducting..: that’s pritty much it at the moment ; i probs best opening a thread about the Cloudline specifically for that question of which speed I can get away with.. 

Regards C 

Edited by Cannabal Spliffter

1 hour ago, Cannabal Spliffter said:

Why’s there two sets of sizes , for example say you can either choose a 6inch CF from 500mm or 1000mm , when people say to over size is it meaning those choices above.
The fan I got is a 6inch Cloudline so what would be ideal and what speed would be needed to keep negative pressure whilst maintaining noise and if I have to go over speed 3/4 it defeats aim of the object of “silent” running.

So there’s a few question tangled up in there chaplings , can anyone assist be appreciated 

Regards C 

The reason for short/long filters is coz historically fans came in 2 varieties for each size. High power/low power 

An rvk 150A1 pulls around 480m3h iirc and the 150mm short filter is rated at 500m3h.

An rvk150L1 pulls around 780m3h and the 150mm Long filter (600mm) is rated at 900m3h.

The 1000mm long 150mm filters are really meant for running with 150mm boxfans.

So yeah, an A type fan (low power) is okay with a short filter. An L type fan (high power) needs the longer variant...

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that reply Dodgee 
So for something like a cloudline that I won’t be using a max speed obviously, so would it be recommend to hitch the 500mm for something like that , but as Tom mentioned he changed to a 200mm longer which reduced noise.

5 minutes ago, Cannabal Spliffter said:

Thanks for that reply Dodgee 
So for something like a cloudline that I won’t be using a max speed obviously, so would it be recommend to hitch the 500mm for something like that , but as Tom mentioned he changed to a 200mm longer which reduced noise.

For the cloudline I would use the long variant 5-600mm. That will have more capacity than your fan (which is good).  And last longer.

You could use the 1000mm long if you wanted but it's a big price jump and u would have over twice the capacity of your fan.

Just don't use a shorty. The 150/300mm won't cut the mustard with that fan.

2 people like this

something like the mountain air CF 150/500mm 6inch (580m3hr) would cut the mustard ? If so which speed setting would maintain the pressure whilst minimising noise 

I realise it would be a case of trying and testing to find that out but would be good to know prior , probs best to add that there’s only gunna be one plant in there as well 

32 minutes ago, Cannabal Spliffter said:

I realise it would be a case of trying and testing to find that out but would be good to know prior , probs best to add that there’s only gunna be one plant in there as well 

This m8, you need to dial it in temperature and humidity wise

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I swear there was a another post of yours with links Tom or Dodgee  , some posts been deleted , what happens to the “you know what I’m going to say” post by degsy or who ever it was 

12 hours ago, Cannabal Spliffter said:

150/500mm 6inch (580m3hr) would cut the mustard ?

No. your fan is 402cfm which is approx 683m3/hour. The filter must have a larger extract capacity than the fan.