Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

calif123

Do i really need a propagation light?

Hi chaps,

I'm back in the game after a long break. I no longer have my PL2 propagation light and was wondering whether I actually NEED it to shell out 50-60 bucks for it, or will the ladies be ok putting a 600W light (high as i get get it) from seed?

Cheers for any advice or pointers!

1 person likes this

Straight under a 600w high up might make for spindly leggy long plants plus wasted cash in running costs mate. 

I would get a cheap t5 fluro for the initial popping then grow upusi ing the light with them if you have a dimmable ballast and a bulbs

1 person likes this

lighting In an ideal world you would be better with lower wattage lighting for small plants, but i put them straight under 600s mate, no problem. I don't have cash to spare for propogator lighting either, its all going in the leccy meter lol. 

I keep the light about a meter away and lower it over a week or two, till its a couple of feet above the plants, they don't look to be unhappy

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

50 quid for a veg light, or 600W of energy for  18 hours a day. 

House bulb will start em off.

6 people like this

Good stuff, thanks for the advice chaps.

Started seeds under a 600w quite a few times when I had no option and they turned out fine, just gotta check and water a lot more often, its pretty easy to kill seedlings by letting them get too dry when under a big light.

Edited by StevieRays
1 person likes this

you could diy an led light for less than a score.

6500k cool white, household CFL will do.. I even reckon a cheap £1 11w warm white bulb will do but the spectrum leans towards more a bloom range, it'll be the lighting schedule that makes up the grow or bloom cycle so anything 16-18h or even 24h regardless of spectrum should be fine for you.

But I reckon you know the lighting schedules, you just need some lumen ;)

On 2/22/2020 at 10:26 AM, FatBoy77 said:

you could diy an led light for less than a score.

That's a nice idea worth making use of ;)

Better having high intensity from the very beginning IMO, just not so economic leccy wise unless you happen to be starting hundreds...

MH in a large parabolic about 1-2 ft away works very well.  Dimmable ballasts are handy, I've had no problems simply running a 600 bulb on 250, 400, 600, 660. Flicking a switch instead of storing and changing over lights is nice and simple.  

4 people like this

i find an adjustable ballast to be ideal, I start with a 250w mh when I pot up I use 400w duel once in flower up to a 600hps bulbs are quite cheap and seem to last forever