Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Caly

New Grower Questions.

18 posts in this topic

Hi All,

First time grower here :)

I just would like to ask a couple of questions, but before I do let me just give you a quick overview of my setup.

I've built a setup in my log cabin, which used to be a studio so it's insulted and sound proofed and I have lined the structure with mylar, the guys in the grow shop said this would reduce the heat signature from the outside. Inside the log cabin I have a 8ft x 4ft grow tent with 2 600w HPS lights, 8" & 6" fans with carbon filter, I'm aiming to grow 10 plants.

So, my questions are:

Will I use the full 600w in each light for 10 plants? The ballast I have has a switch to use different watts and 600 is the maxim, I'm just trying to work out the running cost of the lights per month.

Will visible stream come out of my exhaust vent? This is situated at the front of the log cabin.

And what yield should I be aiming / expecting from each plant, a minimum of 2 ounces per plant from a decent grow?

Sorry if this in the wrong section of the forum

Thanks    

When the plants are small and young you may find it beneficial to turn down the wattage of your lights. If the leaves all droop its possibly too bright. 

Steam, unlikely. Unless your humidity levels get too high, and the conditions outside are correct. But if your grow is going well your not gonna see steam. 

A gram per watt is your target for your grow space. 1200w = 1200g if you're doing well. Your first grows might be 50% of that, or you may get right up there. Or even over if your a natural. 

I have lined the structure with mylar, the guys in the grow shop said this would reduce the heat signature from the outside.

Mylar is reflective sheeting & reflects light back to the plants, the grow shop guy is talking rubbish about hiding your heat signature & is or has sold you a load of old snake oil.

I have a 8ft x 4ft grow tent with 2 600w HPS lights, 8" & 6" fans

A 8" fan will be  a bit pushed to keep your space at a moderate temp if where you live is hot in the summer when running both ballasts at 600w & I'd have been more inclined to get a 10" fan.

Will I use the full 600w in each light for 10 plants?

you can fit 9 plants under each 600w but if your hand watering but if you intend to run say 18 plants,  you will need space to access the plant pots at the back, its also worth mentioning that

if your only growing for a personal smoke, its advisable to keep the plant numbers down, its generally considered that 9 is the max for a Percy grow in the eyes of the law, 9 - 28 plants,is a 

possible commercial grow,  over 28 plants, considered a definite commercial grow, so its better to grow fewer plants but grow them bigger so that it makes up the difference in the end yields.

The ballast I have has a switch to use different watts and 600 is the maxim

it sounds like you have adjustable digital ballasts, they usually do 250w - 400w - 600w - 660w ?

if it does then you need the right wattage lamps, tho you can turn a 600w lamp down to 400w, it affects the lamps spectral light output (geek talk)

so if you do want to run the ballasts at either 250w or 400w, get the right lamp.

You might also consider getting a 250w lamp or a separate vegging light for young seedlings or clones  as a 400w or a 600w is a waste of electricity.

Will visible steam come out of my exhaust vent? This is situated at the front of the log cabin.

you wont get steam but if there's snow laying on the roof, check the neighbours roofs to see if theyre the same but you said the log cabin is insulated  lol

(sorry, you dont get many growers with log cabins)  lol

And what yield should I be aiming / expecting from each plant, a minimum of 2 ounces per plant from a decent grow?

Dont worry about yields, worry about your environment temps & how the plants are growing,  the better you get the plants environment & feeding dialled in then the more fruits they will give you.

I should point out that, if noise is also an issue, then its advisable to get a good fan controller as a 8" & a 6" fan running at full power are very noisy, so thats why theyre worth getting, an added bonus

with being able to slow the fans down is that it also helps you with stabilizing the tents temps. 

If you can list what you've bought already or are intending to buy, we can tell you if theres something better/ more suitable for your grow.

atb & welcome to the site @Caly

4 people like this

Thanks @Joint hogger, I really appreciate you coming back to me.

Firstly regarding the Mylar, they do 2 types in the shop, the one you described I believe is used as a reflective material and the other I have used it non-reflective, although it fairly shiny, it's more of a matt silver/grey with a black underside and its a very robust sheeting, they swear by it and it's mentioned in the growers bible but in limited detail. Anyway, I've lined the cabin with it hoping it's going to do what they say it does, but would you say a grow of 9-10 plants is going to cause a heat signature to worry about?

Regarding the ballasts, they are digital and have settings as you described (250, 400, 600 & 600+) I'm up for saving electricity, so if I get the required bulbs at what stage of the grow would I use the correct wattage for 10 plants?

Whilst we are on the topic of electricity, how can I accurately work out my energy cost of the whole grow?

Thank you for answering about steam and yes I have a log cabin, small but insulated and also sound proof as it used to be a studio, so I'm expecting it to cope with the noise until I open the door, but it's a room within a room and has 2 doors, so hopefully if I time it right I should be able to minimise the sound when I open it.

The environment is the part I really want to get right, I'll speak to the guys in the shop about the controller and how best to use it, but the equipment I have so far is:

Grow tent
2 600w lights with ballast & hoods
2 timers

This weekend I'm going to get the ventilation system (2 fans, 8" or 10" for exhaust and 6" for intake, carbon filter and ducting)

So, two more questions :)

I would like to get the grow up and running in the next few weeks but I'm planning to go away with the wife for 2/3 days in mid June and I'm worried about watering, is there any stage I can leave the plants for a couple of days and continue watering and monitoring when I get back? Or should I get someone to keep an eye on them for me?

And lastly, what temps should the water be when I do water them? And if it's too cold how do I get it at the right temp for watering?

Thank you. 

20 minutes ago, Caly said:

I would like to get the grow up and running in the next few weeks but I'm planning to go away with the wife for 2/3 days in mid June and I'm worried about watering, is there any stage I can leave the plants for a couple of days and continue watering and monitoring when I get back? Or should I get someone to keep an eye on them for me?

Watering that amount of plants is going to get tiresome as they'll mainly need attending to at different times. And as you pointed out, it's difficult to go anywhere for even a few days or they dry up.  Have a look into automated watering systems.  Two that spring to mind are Blumat and Autopot, although there are others too.  With the above mentioned systems, you only have to occasionally fill one central tank with your water/feed solution and it's all done for you.  Far less chance of over or under watering and you might be able to leave them for weeks if you have a large enough tank.  Hope this helps.

I'd also consider some parabolic reflectors in that space.  Two 1m parabolics will give you a better light spread and will also help to keep temps down...:yep:

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Caly said:

Or should I get someone to keep an eye on them for me?

No.  Keep yourself safe...:)

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, Caly said:

And if it's too cold how do I get it at the right temp for watering?

Let it stand at comfortable room temperature.  Sorry for all the posts. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Watering that amount of plants is going to get tiresome as they'll mainly need attending to at different times. And as you pointed out, it's difficult to go anywhere for even a few days or they dry up.  Have a look into automated watering systems.  Two that spring to mind are Blumat and Autopot, although there are others too.  With the above mentioned systems, you only have to occasionally fill one central tank with your water/feed solution and it's all done for you.  Far less chance of over or under watering and you might be able to leave them for weeks if you have a large enough tank.  Hope this helps.

I'd also consider some parabolic reflectors in that space.  Two 1m parabolics will give you a better light spread and will also help to keep temps down...:yep:

Thank you so much @JJJ this idea has got me thinking and could solve my problem. Is the system expensive to buy and does this fall under hydro? as I want to grow with pots and soil. Thanks 

9 hours ago, Caly said:

Hi All,

First time grower here :)

I just would like to ask a couple of questions, but before I do let me just give you a quick overview of my setup.

I've built a setup in my log cabin, which used to be a studio so it's "insulted" and sound proofed. 

You been swearing at yer studio aye?  lol pls let us know if it helped when smoking the end product  lol

Sorry smoked too many joints lol

GL with yer first grow mate, looks like you've got a better plan then I did when I first started! 

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, CannaKay said:

You been swearing at yer studio aye?  lol pls let us know if it helped when smoking the end product  lol

Sorry smoked too many joints lol

GL with yer first grow mate, looks like you've got a better plan then I did when I first started! 

@CannaKay thanks mate, I mean it’s insulated lol @Joint hogger now I know what you were laughing at :))

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Caly said:

Is the system expensive to buy and does this fall under hydro? as I want to grow with pots and soil. Thanks 

These systems are normally meant for soil but can be used with coco too.  Blumat is a (top-down) system which waters via sensors (carrots) buried in the soil surface.  You need to set up the carrots by adjusting a knob on top.  I paid 50 quid for a pack of 12 and bought a water tank with lid from Wickes for around 12.  12 carrots could feed 12 smaller plants or 6 in larger pots.

Autopot is a bottom-fed system which is even easier as there's nothing to set up.  A reservoir feeds a small tray under the pots - only activating when the water level drops.  For 10 plants this is going to cost considerably more.  

Both are very effective approaches and both are gravity-fed, meaning no electrical parts.

However, if you're really set on hand-watering and if you're plants are still  in small pots and you need to leave them for a short time, you can leave them on a capillary mat.

Edited by JJJ

10 hours ago, JJJ said:

These systems are normally meant for soil but can be used with coco too.  Blumat is a (top-down) system which waters via sensors (carrots) buried in the soil surface.  You need to set up the carrots by adjusting a knob on top.  I paid 50 quid for a pack of 12 and bought a water tank with lid from Wickes for around 12.  12 carrots could feed 12 smaller plants or 6 in larger pots.

Autopot is a bottom-fed system which is even easier as there's nothing to set up.  A reservoir feeds a small tray under the pots - only activating when the water level drops.  For 10 plants this is going to cost considerably more.  

Both are very effective approaches and both are gravity-fed, meaning no electrical parts.

However, if you're really set on hand-watering and if you're plants are still  in small pots and you need to leave them for a short time, you can leave them on a capillary mat.

Thanks @JJJ this is a great help and I’m definitely going to consider this. Your help is very much appreciated 

1 person likes this

Caly, do a search for Autopots or Amazon systems, theyre both considered hydro but you can use either soil or coco coir in them,

tho the downside is that theyre a bit more harder to learn than simply growing in soil, but its not too hard to learn.

Ive just got a 12 pot Autopot system myself but I've yet to use it, Im planning on maybe having 6 plants under two 315w CMH in each 1.2m tents.

if you do go for an Autopot system shop around as I got my 12 pot system for £260. its also a good idea to get a £25 water timer.

oh & before I forget, I noticed you mention that you got two ballasts & two timers, what about the timers ? are they the heavy duty type ?

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

Caly, do a search for Autopots or Amazon systems, theyre both considered hydro but you can use either soil or coco coir in them,

tho the downside is that theyre a bit more harder to learn than simply growing in soil, but its not too hard to learn.

Ive just got a 12 pot Autopot system myself but I've yet to use it, Im planning on maybe having 6 plants under two 315w CMH in each 1.2m tents.

if you do go for an Autopot system shop around as I got my 12 pot system for £260. its also a good idea to get a £25 water timer.

oh & before I forget, I noticed you mention that you got two ballasts & two timers, what about the timers ? are they the heavy duty type ?

Thanks @Joint hogger  I'm going to ask in the grow store this week and see what they have...Can I put clones straight in with these systems?

If you don't mind me asking, what does the water timer do?

And yes I have 2 timers but the cheaper ones (£5 each),  but after reading a post yesterday saying they can be hazardous I'm going to take them back and exchange them for the heavy duty ones.

One more thing, do you know of a resource I can use to work out the cost of the energy consumption of the whole grow?

if your in the UK there's loads of grow shops online who deliver discretely, just so you dont need to go into the same place.

if you can get female clones, you need to hand water with the Autopot system until the roots grow long enough that they reach the bottom of the pots

then you set the system to water automatically, the water timer is to stop you watering the plants too much, a few folk on the site who use Autopots recommend using them.

with an Amazon system, theyre easier to set up & due to way the system feeds the plants, you can use them straight away with clones, But, you will need to get a good Ph & a good EC pen

(factor about £40-£50 each for decent pens) & you will need to learn how to read Ph & EC levels  (Ph for the waters Acidity & EC for the amount of food in the water).

As for working out the cost of the Grow's additional electricity use overall then you can use Sites grow room calculator to work the cost out roughly,  CLICK HERE

to use it properly, you need to know the cost of a kw, the average is 15p per kw, next you need the dimensions of the tent, you say its 4' x 8' ? it sounds like a 1.2m x 2.4m x 2m or possibly a 2.2m tent ?

what make is it ?  & how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking ? Also, what type of reflector did you get with the light set ups ?

e2a - just realized, I meant to suggest the Wilma system instead of the Amazon, also checked out some prices, a 12 pot Autopot system with a 100ltr tank costs about £290, with the Wilma systems

there's two sizes that would suit you, Wilma System XL (90cm X 90cm) & costs about £140 each, or there's the Wilma System XXL (115cm X 115cm) & thats about £200 each.

its not cheap this growing game but once your up & running, you get the payback  :skin_up::skin_up::skin_up::smokin:

Edited by Joint hogger
1 person likes this