Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tony K

Burnt tips and pale leaves

Hello,

I'm hoping for opinions as to what is going on with my grow and what I should do from here. A couple of plants have what started as burnt tips, but this is now progressing up the leaves.

The plants (Blue Kush and Northern Lights) are at day 42 of flower. They are in PM soil and are getting Old Timer grow and bloom. I'm in a very soft water area. Previously the grow had some calcium issues, but these were rectified with use of calmag. They've been getting a top up of calmag at 1ml/L roughly every 6 days.

Temperatures were never below 20, but I raised them by about 2 degrees since the symptoms started two days ago. Humidity is mid30's-40. Upper temps 29 maximum.

They are in 6l pots and get watered approx every 2 days. If anything I'd say I leave the soil to go too dry rather than watering too frequently. One recent error though - they got watered and were left to stand in run off for getting on for an hour.

The Blue Kush:

It looks like every tip on every leaf is affected. Recent feeds, working forwards in time:

2g +1b + 1calmag

2g + 1b

First sign of slightly burnt tips: 1.5g +1b

Worsening burnt tips: 0.5g + 0.5b + 1 calmag

0.5g + 0.5b

large.5e4546d065532_Day59BKNLD05.JPGlarge.5e4546d3312c1_Day59BKNLD09.JPGlarge.5e4546d2630b8_Day59BKNLD08.JPG

The Northern Lights:

This is in worse state overall. The plant has pale leaves, but the tips are dying.

Recent feeds:

1g + 3b

Looked slightly pale : 1.5g + 3b + 1 calmag

1g + 2b

First signs of burn: 0.75g + 2b

Worsening: 0.5g + 0.5 b + 1 calmag

0.5g + 0.5b

large.5e4546d9f009c_Day59BKNLD17.JPGlarge.5e4546db478ea_Day59BKNLD18.JPGlarge.5e4546d7e6087_Day59BKNLD16.JPG

I'm not sure what is going on here.

Initially I assumed that I'd slightly over-fed with the burnt tips.

The paling on the NL would suggest otherwise though.

I'm susceptible to calcium and magnesium isues due to extremely soft water, but the burnt tips all over the plant made me guess that wasn't it.

Temperatures didn't get below 20 but I jacked them up anyway just to be sure.

It now looks like the plant is eating itself.

Left to my own devices, at the next feed (in a few hours, at lights on) I'd opt for another 1ml calmag and increase the grow to 2ml, my suspicion being that the lack of calcium is at the root of it.

But I'm only a few weeks away from harvest and I'd like to make the right decision, as well as understand what is going on.

Besides, it wouldn't be a proper grow unless I got into difficulties and had to resort to a sick plants thread.

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers!

Tony.

The top picture does look a little over fed, but overall not too bad at all IMO.

I would stop giving them grow nutrients now if it were me. I know some schedules do say use a small amount, but it really isn't good for the plant. The bloom nutrients will have plenty of Nitrogen in to carry the plant through the flower phase, adding grow nutrients is asking for troubles. 

I would back of the feed to just bloom nutrients at 50% - 75% dose for a few feeds mate. The cal/mag shouldn't really be too much of an issue for a few days even with soft water. 

If you continue on the current path you will likely get serious lockout problems. Soften things up on them a bit for a few days then continue with just the bloom nutrients would be my advice. 

But again, overall they look OK, some decent frost, not a lost cause at all, just ease up on them.  :yep:

3 people like this

Whenever I get unexplainably upset plants I check for mites. The times I spent chasing phantom nutrient deficiencies and pulling my hair out was time wasted against the dreaded Borg. Worth a check just in case 

3 people like this

@crticalcontent good to see you in the boards again mate :yep:

1 person likes this

looking good to me just bit to much nutrition i would easy off now it day 42 drop by half for week and then stop or bit before a week   ,good luck

Edited by bricktop66
1 person likes this

Thanks very much for the replies, they are appreciated.

5 hours ago, GreenVision said:

If you continue on the current path you will likely get serious lockout problems.

Yes, I was concerned about that. I think it's best if I take your advice and back off and see what happens.

I know some schedules do say use a small amount, but it really isn't good for the plant. The bloom nutrients will have plenty of Nitrogen in to carry the plant through the flower phase, adding grow nutrients is asking for troubles. 

That is interesting. I was using bloom only until a short time ago, but then started to add grow as well. In my diary a discussion developed where it was suggested it was unusual to discontinue use of grow nutrients during flower and that they should be reintroduced.

I'm a bit confused now. :g:

overall they look OK, some decent frost, not a lost cause at all, just ease up on them.

Thanks buddy, I'm fairly pleased with them - they aren't the finest plants, but they represent an improvement in my growing abilities. Up to now, anyway. I'd like to get them over the line, hence my caution at this point in the grow.

For the first time today I've just had a look at them and they seem OK. They haven't got any worse in terms of leaf-tip damage, but the Northern Lights has got a bit paler at the top of the plant.

4 hours ago, crticalcontent said:

Whenever I get unexplainably upset plants I check for mites.

I will do that. I never think of that possibility, for some reason I always consider it unlikely, even though I know it isn't really.

I'll have a read about what I'm looking for, then go and check.

Thanks again for the input.

Edited by Tony K

Really quick update -I  am pleased to say that the two affected plants are looking much better today. The tip damage has not spread and the NL is looking less hungry. I get the general feeling that they are back on track. They received 0.5ml/L bloom about 24 hours ago.

I'll post photos and a further update tomorrow. Thank you for all the help and input.

Tony.

Further update:

The Blue Kush has not deteriorated since the initial post and seems happy on 0.5ml/L bloom for now.

However, after initially stabilising, the Northern Lights has lapsed :

large.P1070009.jpglarge.5e4ae09847ae7_Day59BKNLD03.JPGlarge.5e4ae09747d1e_Day59BKNLD02.JPGlarge.5e4ae0963ad04_Day59BKNLD01.JPG

My best guess would be Potassium deficiency, but that would just confuse me further!

Tony.

Further update pics:

large.5e4d34ba0d211_Day64BKNLD05.JPGlarge.5e4d34bc57e45_Day64BKNLD07.JPGlarge.5e4d34bb3b6ec_Day64BKNLD06.JPGlarge.5e4d34b6b4ef2_Day64BKNLD03.JPG

This one has had nothing but plain water or 0.5m bloom for the past three feeds.

I am not sure what to do from here so any input gratefully received.

I am assuming it needs a decent feed.

Seen a few of your pics now and I'd say all of them are overfed, mostly with N, very dark green and waxy.  It's a difficult balancing act now, but you've done the right thing cutting grow out for a few feeds. What's the soil? 

Most calmag is high in N, that with your high feeding of grow has skewed your npk ratio for flowering. 

Edited by FatBoy77
2 people like this

3 hours ago, FatBoy77 said:

What's the soil? 

It's PM Soil Supreme.

Thanks for the input mate, I will continue to backoff the feeds.

I'd agree that 3 of them look green and waxy, but what is going on with the one in the most recent photos? What would you say the paling and discolouration is caused by? Excess N restricting uptake of K and Ca?

Edited by Tony K

Hard to know without running the grow dude. Like I say it's a balancing act now, trying to bring your feeds back to the right ratios without starving the plants. If you've been giving plain water and bloom only feeds, you're in danger of underfeeding the plant too. Good luck with it dude! Clock the dark green waxy look, you'll spot it earlier next time. I'd say they've been like that for a while. 

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

Hard to know without running the grow dude. Like I say it's a balancing act now, trying to bring your feeds back to the right ratios without starving the plants. If you've been giving plain water and bloom only feeds, you're in danger of underfeeding the plant too. Good luck with it dude! Clock the dark green waxy look, you'll spot it earlier next time. I'd say they've been like that for a while. 

Thanks mate, that all makes sense.

One plant is worse than the rest, so at least I'm forewarned with the other three. Looks like I'm walking a tightrope for the next few weeks.

Your help is much appreciated FB, thank you.