Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

3ngg

Clearly I have no idea what I’m doing!

52 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Newbie looking for some opinions here.

set up:

6x 8ltr fabric pots with coco perlite mix. (Ecothrive lite) 

2 small additional regular pots to make use of all seeds. 

-600w hps 

-1x1x2m green qube tent 

-oil rad. Tube heater. Humidifier. Clip on and tower fan. 

4 inch outlet with filter and 5 inch inlet. 

cold area hence the heaters. Using temp control in the roots and temps and humidity seem all okay. 

started with far too dry medium. Noticed weak slow growth after several days so basically pulled out each seedling. No roots. Seemed dry and re moistened the medium with ph 6 water. Repotted and they started growing after 2 days. (Was going to give up thought I’d dried them out.)

now all seem to be growing introduced some root excel and orca with a bit of cal mag. Half dosage after first week of water. Ph around 5.8 every time. 

last weekend flushed them through with the same solution as I checked run off ppm and seemed really high. 

Two days later (today) noticed yellowing and dropping so fed them now with 0.25 nutrients. Coco A and B silica Buddha meta as well as root excel orca and calmag. 

many suggestions. Overwatered? What should I try at this stage? Wondering if it’s due to early seedling stress. Will see them though as a learning curve. 

1. cbd kush Dinamed. day 10. 8 litre

large.8102508F-59AA-4929-A5A4-6FA4C21CEC06.jpeg

2. cbd kush dinamed. 8 litre. day 10

large.82C3C425-2924-4D38-B581-92637879C763.jpeg

3. cbd kush dinamed. Day 14. Small pot (2 litre?)
large.00E569D7-D71C-4B2F-8639-E7111653DDD1.jpeg

4. Northern lights auto. 8 litre. Day 10

large.516D9215-A821-432B-80E6-18D6F5412FFF.jpeg

5. Northern lights auto. 8 litre. day 10

large.8AE69749-1C8D-48D0-9AF3-355CA7F8E1EE.jpeg

6. Northern lights auto. Small pot (2 litre?) Day 14

large.5CA16C5A-4D3A-44C6-9355-9251B36684A5.jpeg

7. amnesia haze auto. 8 litre. Day 10

large.690F18FE-7A65-4904-A34E-6554D48EC902.jpeg

8. amnesia haze auto. 8 litre. Day 10

large.21E99A05-64B8-4EF5-847A-B4CE8FCB519A.jpeg

1 person likes this

I wouldn't like to suggest what the issue is, but speaking from my own experience - Keep things simple.  I feed calmag every second watering personally. Probably not the cause of your issue however ... 

You probably don't need to worry about humidity when they are in veg. They prefer slightly higher humidity, until flower. 

Make sure they aren't sitting in run off after watering. 

You can't overwater in Coco (at least I never had this issue, and that's all I've grown in)

Start with a weak nute solution .5 EC and gradually increase your base nutes with each watering until they get larger.  Use some sort of root stim and add cal mag every other watering. 

2 people like this

You're over thinking it and making your life too complicated. Back to basics. Cannabis isn't hard to grow. Throw a few seeds in the ground, add a little water and watch the miracle of nature. 

How wet is the compost & I think you are feeding the plants far too young. Only feed them if they tell you they need it. Good compost should have enough nutrients for the first four weeks.

Edited by Foghorn J. Leghorn
Info added.
2 people like this

1 hour ago, sn00py said:

I wouldn't like to suggest what the issue is, but speaking from my own experience - Keep things simple.  I feed calmag every second watering personally. Probably not the cause of your issue however ... 

You probably don't need to worry about humidity when they are in veg. They prefer slightly higher humidity, until flower. 

Make sure they aren't sitting in run off after watering. 

You can't overwater in Coco (at least I never had this issue, and that's all I've grown in)

Start with a weak nute solution .5 EC and gradually increase your base nutes with each watering until they get larger.  Use some sort of root stim and add cal mag every other watering. 

Thanks for the reply,

I fed with ph5.8 for the first week. Then started a low dose of calmag and root Ex and orca from around day 10 till now approx 15 days in. 

I introduced 1/4 dose coco a&e silica and meta yesterdays feed. 

what I’m noticing which might not be clear on the pics is most of the plants are drooping aswell as canoeing and they are showing yellow patches. One plant is very yellow from the centre outwards. The newer leaves more so. 

I had my light low around 20inches. Which I feel might be creating the issues mentioned. 

ive raised to around 30 inches now after researching. And will hold off watering until drying out more. 

what do you reckon?

1 person likes this

59 minutes ago, Foghorn J. Leghorn said:

You're over thinking it and making your life too complicated. Back to basics. Cannabis isn't hard to grow. Throw a few seeds in the ground, add a little water and watch the miracle of nature. 

How wet is the compost & I think you are feeding the plants far too young. Only feed them if they tell you they need it. Good compost should have enough nutrients for the first four weeks.

thanks for replying. 

ive kept it simple I think. Only introduced 1/4 dose nutes after seeing issues as a kind of test remedy. 

canoeing leaves drooping leaves and yellow patches appearing is what was causing concern. With baby’s not needing much it was worrying that they seem to be unhappy 

13 minutes ago, 3ngg said:

Thanks for the reply,

I fed with ph5.8 for the first week. Then started a low dose of calmag and root Ex and orca from around day 10 till now approx 15 days in. 

I introduced 1/4 dose coco a&e silica and meta yesterdays feed. 

what I’m noticing which might not be clear on the pics is most of the plants are drooping aswell as canoeing and they are showing yellow patches. One plant is very yellow from the centre outwards. The newer leaves more so. 

I had my light low around 20inches. Which I feel might be creating the issues mentioned. 

ive raised to around 30 inches now after researching. And will hold off watering until drying out more. 

what do you reckon?

Canoeing can be a sign of too much heat, as you mentioned you think you've had the lights a little close this could be why you've seen this - exasperated a little perhaps by having low humidity.  If no-one else can think of any other solution (I am not an expert grower by any means and still learning myself after doing it for 3yrs or so) then I'd stick to what you are doing - Keep the PH close to 6, half strength nutes and make sure you are having at least 1/3 of what you are feeding come through the plant as run-off to keep salts from building up.  Gradually build up the EC from 0.5/6 > 0.8 > 1 as they get larger and  an handle stronger doses.   Have a low powered fan blowing over the tops of the plants if you don't already to keep heat off them as much as you can.  

See how they look in a week or so :)

Edited by sn00py
1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, 3ngg said:

thanks for replying. 

ive kept it simple I think. Only introduced 1/4 dose nutes after seeing issues as a kind of test remedy. 

canoeing leaves drooping leaves and yellow patches appearing is what was causing concern. With baby’s not needing much it was worrying that they seem to be unhappy 

No problem but you don't seem to be listening, heeding my advice and you haven't answered my question. How wet are the pots? 

I'm not sure how else I can put this across so please don't be offended. STOP FEEDING THEM! You're over thinking it and making your life too complicated. Go back to basics. Decent compost, seed, water, light and air. That is all you need. Plants need f@*k all for the first four weeks unless you are using shyte compost.

1 minute ago, Foghorn J. Leghorn said:

No problem but you don't seem to be listening, heeding my advice and you haven't answered my question. How wet are the pots? 

I'm not sure how else I can put this across so please don't be offended. STOP FEEDING THEM! You're over thinking it and making your life too complicated. Go back to basics. Decent compost, seed, water, light and air. That is all you need. Plants need f@*k all for the first four weeks unless you are using shyte compost.

My coco is wet not Saturated but evidently wet. If I lift them there is a wet patch on the saucer. Not a puddle but it’s wet. 

Your advice is taken sir! I’m using Coco perlite 70/30 I have only fed them once yesterday with a quarter strength dose to test if there’s any change. I wasn’t intending to start a feed for another week or two otherwise. I’ve gave them a bit of calmag and root stim after 10 days from popping heads that’s all otherwise. 

The yellowing, curling, drooping and deformed look I’m guessing is from my errors at the start planting in too dry coco (was already in pots in the tent testing environment before planting seeds) After 4 days of seeing only the small pots sprout (they were in fresh medium) the I took them out refreshed the coco with ph water and replanted them. They started to sprout then but I think I was then having the wrong lighting and watering situation. 

My concern is now simply what to do nearly two weeks in. Hence why I’m here....

Ph Water till run off when the top is slightly drying out? 

No nutes for another week or two?

Light about. 30inches away?

What should I expect to see to tell me I’m got the right idea?

49 minutes ago, sn00py said:

Canoeing can be a sign of too much heat, as you mentioned you think you've had the lights a little close this could be why you've seen this - exasperated a little perhaps by having low humidity.  If no-one else can think of any other solution (I am not an expert grower by any means and still learning myself after doing it for 3yrs or so) then I'd stick to what you are doing - Keep the PH close to 6, half strength nutes and make sure you are having at least 1/3 of what you are feeding come through the plant as run-off to keep salts from building up.  Gradually build up the EC from 0.5/6 > 0.8 > 1 as they get larger and  an handle stronger doses.   Have a low powered fan blowing over the tops of the plants if you don't already to keep heat off them as much as you can.  

See how they look in a week or so :)

Again thanks. So I have a small clip fan and a tower fan oscillating so plenty of air movement on there. The clip fan isn’t directed at the plants but around the base or at the light I’ve tried both but doesn’t seem to change temps of roots or tent really. 

Lights now raised so hopefully that makes a difference. I definitely think it was too low from what I’m reading now. 

With nutes and feeding il be patient and see how they react in the next day or so when they start to dry up a bit. Interested to see if they stop drooping!

Will keep you posted!

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, 3ngg said:

My coco is wet not Saturated but evidently wet. If I lift them there is a wet patch on the saucer. Not a puddle but it’s wet. 

Your advice is taken sir! I’m using Coco perlite 70/30 I have only fed them once yesterday with a quarter strength dose to test if there’s any change. I wasn’t intending to start a feed for another week or two otherwise. I’ve gave them a bit of calmag and root stim after 10 days from popping heads that’s all otherwise. 

The yellowing, curling, drooping and deformed look I’m guessing is from my errors at the start planting in too dry coco (was already in pots in the tent testing environment before planting seeds) After 4 days of seeing only the small pots sprout (they were in fresh medium) the I took them out refreshed the coco with ph water and replanted them. They started to sprout then but I think I was then having the wrong lighting and watering situation. 

My concern is now simply what to do nearly two weeks in. Hence why I’m here....

Ph Water till run off when the top is slightly drying out? 

No nutes for another week or two?

Light about. 30inches away?

What should I expect to see to tell me I’m got the right idea?

Stop watering them, let them dry out. Only water them when the pots are light. Best thing to do is get a pot of the same size and fill it with the same medium, get used to the weight when it's dry. When the pots that the plants are growing in are the same weight as that water them.

Personally I'd look at transplanting them into some decent compost. Plant Magic plus is pretty nice stuff from what I remember. Also, growing in compost leaves you room for error as it acts as a buffer for the plant in cases of overfeeding.

F*@k PHing water, get rain water out of the garden when they need it.

Nothing needed at all for the first four weeks, not sure how often I need to repeat that :)

What light? Your 600W HPS? If so, that is far too strong for young plants. Should be under a T5. Any reason why you aren't using MH bulbs for the first part of the grow?

What does your thermometer say the temperature is where your plants are?

If you do this right, your plants will go back to a lush deep green colour.

No nutes until the plants tell you they need it.

Edited by Foghorn J. Leghorn
Info added.
1 person likes this

I just want to clarify one thing - You're growing in Coco aren't you? Not compost? If it's Coco you are growing in then you do need to feed your plants at each watering, unless you are flushing them out because of an issue.  

I can't speak about compost as I don't use it.  You should let your plants dry out before watering to encourage roots to search for food regardless, lift your pots and you'll know when to feed as they'll be worryingly light. 

Edited by sn00py
2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Foghorn J. Leghorn said:

Nothing needed at all for the first four weeks, not sure how often I need to repeat that :)

Hopefully never again seeing as he's in coco

9 minutes ago, Foghorn J. Leghorn said:

What light? Your 600W HPS? If so, that is far too strong for young plants

No it isn't if used correctly

10 minutes ago, Foghorn J. Leghorn said:

When the pots that the plants are growing in are the same weight as that water them.

Thats far too dry even in compost. You'll do more damage letting roots get that dry

Sorry mate but you have given some very misleading advice and I had to chip in

Owd 

8 people like this

I have an probe sat in one of the pots a few inches Deep showing around 21- 27 degrees 

using a temp controller to kick in the oil rad to keep above 21. Also have tube heater between pots. 

Edited by Owderb

2 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Hopefully never again seeing as he's in coco

No it isn't if used correctly

Thats far too dry even in compost. You'll do more damage letting roots get that dry

Sorry mate but you have given some very misleading advice and I had to chip in

Owd 

I appreciate that dude. I was wondering. But with so many people finding their own ways work I was open to hearing everyone out. 

from reading through have you got any input? 

I’m getting the idea to stop watering so much with them being young and raising the light being the best place to start?

1 person likes this

Stop worrying...go to half strength grow.

with coco and perlite it is difficult to overwater...

just if you water everyday allow a bit to come out the bottom of the pots and discard it.

feed with warm water/nutes

just concentrate on the grownutes and rootstim for now if they were mine and leave out the calmag for the time being.

600w wants to be around a meter off the plants at this stage.

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
2 people like this