Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Adz15978

What compost?

22 posts in this topic

Last year I used westlands with added John inns with good results. Do I stick with it or do the cheaper brands compete? 
asda have 3 for £10? Or aurthur bowe at £3?

1 person likes this

I think Clover is running the show at the moment if you can get it, fairly cheap too. B and Q verve is alright for planting outside in holes or mixing in but gnats inside. I microwaved some for planting seeds last season, it was a little hot so second batch of seedlings i mixed with poundland coco and it worked a treat

2 people like this

another for clover here i heard what blackpoolbouncer had to say about it and must say my plants love it

2 people like this

Thanks guys I’ll check it out.  So they do smaller bags than 75l? Might be tricky for me transporting to the plot

Yeah. I like the clover. I live near a nursery, and the 75 liter bags of clover cost about the same as the dinky little bags of stuff you get at the supermarket. They also fly-tip used pots of all sizes, in the woods surrounding them. I occasionally go and tidy up some of the bigger ones :D. I strain out some of the bigger pieces of stuff, for seedlings. I dunno if the stuff is sterile or not. I never really read the bag. This year, I think I'll cut it with some coco for seedlings, but it seems pretty light. I've not seen any signs of toxicity, even in autos.

2 people like this

No need to cut it for seeds.

Clover rocks and I'm glad people here are using it now. There are some awful compost on the market but clover is lush

2 people like this

Clover is good stuff, hardly any lumps with a riddle, healthy plants no probs. I use it where I can, with weed and other plants i grow in my garden. Only problem is it's not always that easy to get hold of.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Adz15978 said:

Thanks guys I’ll check it out.  So they do smaller bags than 75l? Might be tricky for me transporting to the plot

Why do you bother? Isn't the ground your planting into good enough,if you alter the structure of the soil in the plant hole you can create an inbalance and inadvertently turn your planting hole into a well/sump,better to replace the natural soil into the hole imo.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, MK11 said:

Why do you bother? Isn't the ground your planting into good enough,if you alter the structure of the soil in the plant hole you can create an inbalance and inadvertently turn your planting hole into a well/sump,better to replace the natural soil into the hole imo.

Plot is heavy clay so grow in towers. 

6 hours ago, Dark Mavis said:

Yeah. I like the clover. I live near a nursery, and the 75 liter bags of clover cost about the same as the dinky little bags of stuff you get at the supermarket. They also fly-tip used pots of all sizes, in the woods surrounding them. I occasionally go and tidy up some of the bigger ones :D. I strain out some of the bigger pieces of stuff, for seedlings. I dunno if the stuff is sterile or not. I never really read the bag. This year, I think I'll cut it with some coco for seedlings, but it seems pretty light. I've not seen any signs of toxicity, even in autos.

Just checked website quiet a few suppliers local to me. 1 nursery 2 min from my house I didn’t even know existed 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Adz15978 said:

Just checked website quiet a few suppliers local to me. 1 nursery 2 min from my house I didn’t even know existed 

They'll probably sell it way cheaper than supermarket stuff, too. I paid about a fiver for a 75 liter bag 2 years ago. It's probably 6 or 7 quid by now, but the same bags are £12 online at all the named outlets seen them stocked at. The bag fits into a PLCE bergen just fine, so it should squeeze into any large backpack. You just gotta squash the sides in. They might even have a delivery service.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dark Mavis said:

They'll probably sell it way cheaper than supermarket stuff, too. I paid about a fiver for a 75 liter bag 2 years ago. It's probably 6 or 7 quid by now, but the same bags are £12 online at all the named outlets seen them stocked at. The bag fits into a PLCE bergen just fine, so it should squeeze into any large backpack. You just gotta squash the sides in. They might even have a delivery service.

I’ll give it ago. Worst case I’ll split it into 2 vin bags/rubble sacks and transport that way

6 hours ago, Adz15978 said:

Have just looked on their website and see that at 2" away you did better than me.  I'm aware that my location could be triangulated to pinpoint me but I'll take the risk: The top of list three suppliers local to me were: Rochester, Kent, Taunton, Somerset and Brae, Shetland Isles between Scotland and Norway....

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Socksnsandals said:

Have just looked on their website and see that at 2" away you did better than me.  I'm aware that my location could be triangulated to pinpoint me but I'll take the risk: The top of list three suppliers local to me were: Rochester, Kent, Taunton, Somerset and Brae, Shetland Isles between Scotland and Norway....

Triangulated? Nah. It's just compost. Garden centers would all go out of business if all their customers were getting raided just for buying a bag of compo. I think the tax payer would have something to say about it too, since the police are always complaining about being under manned. Also, you'll never get a warrant to kick someone's door in, just cus they bought a bag of compo. Insist on getting receipts. Nobody thinks you're doing something illegal if you get receipts.

Or you could just use a different voice each time you buy some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UTsthOfiE

2 people like this

Indeed, I am not worried! Triangulating those three locations would not be very informative - one could get a precise centre but assuming that the compost bandit is not exactly in the centre (he'd be bobbing about on a boat in the N Sea somewhere off Berwick on Tweed), but somewhere within that triangle, that is about ?40-50 million people in the frame!  Apart from S of Taunton-Rochester, the SW peninsula, Liverpool, Wales and, interestingly, almost the entirety of Scotland, most of the UK's population centres are encompassed by it.