Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Patrick050289

Cal? Mag? Nitrogen toxicity? Please help...

Good afternoon ( or morning if you are on the other side :)  )

I am running my first ever grow, and now I am in almost the 4th week of veg from seed... Info below:

Strain:
Northern Lights Feminised ( Sensi seeds )
Medium:
Canna Coco + just over 30% Perlite
Container:
2gal fabric pot, but due to transplant to a final 5 gal fabric pot
Temp:
25C ( 77F ) Lights on, 21C ( 71.5F ) Lights off
RH:
~55%
Light Schedule:
18/6

Grow Room:
1.5ft, 1.3ft, 4.8ft (H)
Ventilation:
4" extractor at the top + passive intake at the bottom
Lights:
Roleardo full spectrum LED 300W ( ~130W draw )

Lights approx. 25" from the top of the plant - manufacturer recommends ~35" if I remember correctly, but plant started to stretch so I lowered it down.

Training:
Half way through a manifold, infact it seems that the problems slowly started since the first topping ( week ago ).

Feeding:
All feeding mixed with EC 0.3 tap water and PH'd to 5.8-9, plants fed 3 x day, always to about 30% run off:

Silicon - 3ml / 5L
Canna A & B - 9ml / 5L ( each )
Cannazym - 8ml / 5L
Rhizotonic - 10ml/ 5L

Total EC adds up to roughly 1.3 ( including the tap water )

A couple of days ago I noticed what seemed like a cal-mag deficiency so as a self preservation I mixed up a full strength cal mag solution and topped it up with Canna A&B to the usual 1.3EC rate, PH'd to 6.2 and fed this 3 x daily over the last 2 days.

large.leaf---small.jpglarge.leaf-2---small.jpg

Another Problem...
I've just checked my plants, and much to my surprise now I am seeing what I would self diagnose as a Nitrogen toxicity... deformed and twisted new growth, tips on the leaves clawing down etc...

Again, In the act of self preservation I have mixed the usual full strength nutes with calmag, but watered it down to approx 0.85EC, PH'd to 6.0 and watered to approx 50% run off...

In my little head I am doing everything right, but as a totally inexperienced grower I am very anxious and worried that I am reading my plant totally wrong and perhaps doing more damage than help.

Current photos:

large.IMG-2046---small.jpglarge.IMG-2045---small.jpglarge.IMG-2043---small.jpglarge.IMG-2042---Small.jpglarge.IMG-2041---small.jpglarge.IMG-2040---small.jpg

Could you please help out a fellow grower?

Many Thanks :)

1 person likes this

I am sorry for the white background to all of the above text... not sure how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am tearing my hair out here :wallbash:

1 person likes this

You might be overdoing the watering a bit, you sure they're fully rooted? If not, let it dry out a bit more, like 70%, before watering. Your environment might be a bit off too. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the input FatBoy,

I was under the impression that coco should remain 90% wet at all times? 

Are you saying this doesn't look like deficiency / toxicity? 

Also, you mentioned the environment possibly being off - could you elaborate on this so I can see if I can make any required changes :)

Many Thanks 

Edited by distracted
1 person likes this

Hi mate, the new growth is normal dont worry about that too much, the bigger leaf something looks like its going on but it could be environment related.

Id dial back the feed and possibly start feeding every 2 days, are your ambient and pot temps ok ? But dont fret mate it doesn't look to bad.

In future if your using coco i wouldnt bother adding perlite and just go straight coco.

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, Patrick050289 said:

I am sorry for the white background to all of the above text... not sure how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am tearing my hair out here :wallbash:

I know nothing about coco but you are definitely wise to post and ask.

fwiw I've got two (auto) Sensi NL in soil that have looked way worse than your pics. They bounce back so quickly from (relative) mistreatment in veg it might be worth waiting for a deficiency to become obvious to make sure you're giving it the right medicine.

'Lights approx. 25" from the top of the plant - manufacturer recommends ~35" if I remember correctly, but plant started to stretch so I lowered it down.'

I don't understand this bit, I'm only on grow 2 myself. The plant stretched up so you moved the light closer?

1 person likes this

where are you taking your temp readings from ? Could be a cold issue 

1 person likes this

Keep posting pics mate but a lot of your concerns are new Mummy/Daddy syndrome

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, mister phlegm said:

'Lights approx. 25" from the top of the plant - manufacturer recommends ~35" if I remember correctly, but plant started to stretch so I lowered it down.'

I don't understand this bit, I'm only on grow 2 myself. The plant stretched up so you moved the light closer?

The manufacturer recommends the light to be hanging 35" from top of the plant, but when I did this the plants stretched too fast.

As a solution I lowered the lights down to 25" and the stretching stopped :) 

31 minutes ago, kronic420 said:

where are you taking your temp readings from ? Could be a cold issue 

On this picture you can see my thermometer, so the temperatures are from here, fairly accurate I guess and seem to match the thermostat controlling the heater.

Don't you think it is anything to do with the nutes?

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for me moving forward?

11 minutes ago, distracted said:

Keep posting pics mate but a lot of your concerns are new Mummy/Daddy syndrome

Do you think I am overthinking it and all is good?

41 minutes ago, Patrick050289 said:

You can't be complacent but you are overthinking it imho... I'm not a coco grower but excess nitrogen sends the leaves dark green, excess water bloats them out wide and fat. If it was a compost grow I wouldn't be worried myself

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Patrick050289 said:

I was under the impression that coco should remain 90% wet at all times?

That's too extreme from the start dude.  Once they have rooted out, I see you have perlite in there too, should be fine.  I'm in straight coco, just potted up to 5.7L and saturated the pot.  They won't want another drink for 4 or 5 days.  Even in coco you need to help the roots spread at the start and allow them to dry a little for more oxygen.

I said your environment might be off by the look of your plants, but that could just be a little over-watered/under-oxygenated.  I agree with @distracted man.  Relax. 

ETA - my last coco grow most of the plants were drinking every other day.  It went very well indeed (I don't use perlite).

Edited by FatBoy77

16 hours ago, Patrick050289 said:

The manufacturer recommends the light to be hanging 35" from top of the plant, but when I did this the plants stretched too fast.

As a solution I lowered the lights down to 25" and the stretching stopped :)

That's what bugs me a bit (to be facetious you could have stopped the stretching with weedkiller:)) but I'm sure your plants will let you know if they are closer than they would like.

16 hours ago, Patrick050289 said:

Us newbies need all the help we can get and this is the right place to get some. First grows are nerve-wracking.

That's all I got I'm afraid, but starting a regular diary and reading about other grows and growers helped keep me calm among other benefits.

Stop being so paranoid mate, my leafs look 10x worse and mine are still budding up well nice lol 

That's a small space, smaller than mine and I'm only running my LED system at 120w with them set at a height of 30".

Too close and you'll experience what look like Cal/Mag deficiencies, the damage may have already been done at a younger stage and they have grown in to it. If the holes and spots increase in number then you need to consider raising your light.

Everything else looks normal.