Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mar-mite

Par meter

30 posts in this topic

I think I need to get myself a par meter and just wondered if anyone's using one they are happy to recommend.  Obviously I don't want to spend any more money then I have to as I don't think it is something that I will be using on a daily basis but likewise I want it to be a fairly accurate one and not give reading that are way off.  

If anyone has anything that they would be happy to recommend then that would be great 

Thank you 

1 person likes this

The best cheap par meter is the Hydrofarm Quantum Par Meter and will need imported from the USA. It's not 100% accurate from what I have been seeing but should be enough for us home growers, that's just using white leds.

Toke...

1 person likes this

3 people like this

The hydrofarm one also has some bad reviews on amazon but there the cheapest ones, my mate has one and its been fine for 6 months

1 person likes this

If I had the cash to spare it would be the Apogee MQ 500 tho the SQ 520 looks ok if you have a laptop handy (its just the sensor with a usb lead).

2 people like this

Well I've just checked out the apogee mq 500 thinking it will be about £100 to £150 But it's 600 odd euros and although it's a lovely looking bit of kit it's a he'll of a lot of money.   Looks like I'll just have to slowly keep turning it up up till the plants go from looking happy to looking a bit stressed.

Shame that as really wanted one and I don't think it's worth getting a cheaper one as the ones in that video for example were giving different readings

Cheer tho everyone for all the helpful recommendations  

Well I've just checked out the apogee mq 500 thinking it will be about £100 to £150 But it's 600 odd euros and although it's a lovely looking bit of kit it's a he'll of a lot of money.   Looks like I'll just have to slowly keep turning it up up till the plants go from looking happy to looking a bit stressed.

Shame that as really wanted one and I don't think it's worth getting a cheaper one as the ones in that video for example were giving different readings

Cheer tho everyone for all the helpful recommendations  

Hi Gents,

I am new to this forum, but just wanted to add a comment.

I have bought the SQ-520 - I have just found out I have to wait 3 weeks for it though, but anyway.

Once I am done with this light meter I might start loaning it out to people, not sure if there is an appetite for it, but if anyone is interested leave a comment/pm me and we can sort something out.

Not really trying to make money or anything, these things are fucking expensive man, and if I can help out some of the community then all the better. 

The website basically manages the transaction, the borrower would pay a holding deposit to the website of the lenders choosing, which in this case would be £400 (as that is what I paid for it) - then you have to pay a daily rental fee + both legs of postage. I would only charge £10 a day or something just to cover me taking it to the post office or what ever. 

Once you send it back, you let the website know, and then I send them a confirmation to say I have it back with no damage, and voila - a PAR meter that will probs cost less than £30 to map out your rooms/tents. 

Edited by Joolz

2 hours ago, NuggetPawn said:

Once I am done with this light meter I might start loaning it out to people, not sure if there is an appetite for it, but if anyone is interested leave a comment/pm me and we can sort something out.

thanks for the kind gesture but Im afraid meet ups for any reason are against the sites rules, it not only protects you but it also protects anyone else.

2 people like this

Mar-mite a pal of mine swears by this company not too expensive LightScout Quantum Meters :smokin:

1 person likes this

Nice thread!!

I've purchased a variety of temp/moisture meters and even gone for a decibel meter which cost around £15? I was quite interested at a later date to purchase a PAR meter but at the moment that's gucci kit and I'm going by how many bulb impressions I can still see when I blink even wearing sun glasses while working in the grooms.

I would kind of outright trust the USB sensor version joint hogger is talking about  because it's just the sensor and the software would be easier to update over a period rather then an embedded portable version..

But needs must, cant be using 8ft USB and such extensions or carrying a laptop everywhere. I would still go for the USB corded version for sure!

Please keep us updated on your purchase choice if any, good topic thread!!!

Edited by Butterfingerz

For a cheaper option, one could use a lux meter. After a grow or two you'll know what levels are needed. As a starting point:

HOW MUCH LIGHT DO YOUR CANNABIS PLANTS REQUIRE?
Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux 
Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux

White LED and CMH are high CRI, so should work fine with them.

Edited by catweazle1
1 person likes this

Spot On Quantum Par Light Meter. Looks simple to use, neat and tidy. Just another option and I would expect more companies making meters now that cannabis farms are popping up all over the globe.

Toke...

3 people like this

I have a LUX meter app on my phone then convert into PPF.

I know it is not going to be anywhere near as accurate as professional equipment but gives me a rough idea which is good enough for me.

I make sure my plants are in the 500-600 range either by adjusting the height of the light or using the dimmer

2 people like this

Tbh people should probably talk to the site sponsor if they want to "rent" one . Always makes me suspicious when a new members first post is maybe offering to rent and have private details ..not that anyone can contact you anyway

Edited by Arthur Mix
5 people like this