Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

smiggy

Noob Lighting setup

Hi all, 

I'm about to start my first grow from some cuttings I've been given, in a grow room with dims of 1.5m x 3.5m in which I've currently got 2x dual spectrum 600w hps with digital dimmable ballasts. 

What setting do you guys recommend for vegging? The ballasts have settings for 250w / 400w / 600w. I also have a 125w blue cfl light, would it be worth rigging this up in conjunction too??

Any help is appreciated!!!

1 person likes this

600watt for veg, just keep them a bit away from the plants to start with and lower the lights down over the first week, from a metre away to about 2 &1/2 feet, gradually.

or you could start with 400watts for the first week or so and then ramp it up to 600w, it depends on how much time you want o be vegging them for, or how much time you have to get them done.

600w = quicker

400w = break them in a bit first.

1 person likes this

Cheers badbillybob for the fast reply!!

Would you bother with the blue cfl in conjunction or would it be pointless?

10 minutes ago, smiggy said:

Hi all, 

I'm about to start my first grow from some cuttings I've been given, in a grow room with dims of 1.5m x 3.5m in which I've currently got 2x dual spectrum 600w hps with digital dimmable ballasts. 

What setting do you guys recommend for vegging? The ballasts have settings for 250w / 400w / 600w. I also have a 125w blue cfl light, would it be worth rigging this up in conjunction too??

Any help is appreciated!!!

I veg with HP's at the min started them on 250 w for first week ish (from cutting)I'm four weeks in tomorrow and am still only on 400w I'd have them on 600 but it twats the electricity so untill it's really needed I'm vegin with 400w HP's 9 plants hope that helps u buddy 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

I veg with HP's at the min started them on 250 w for first week ish (from cutting)I'm four weeks in tomorrow and am still only on 400w I'd have them on 600 but it twats the electricity so untill it's really needed I'm vegin with 400w HP's 9 plants hope that helps u buddy 

Thanks mate, I might do the same as I'm looking to do 8 plants, and like you say it will twat the electric on 600w full time.

1 person likes this

Just now, smiggy said:

Thanks mate, I might do the same as I'm looking to do 8 plants, and like you say it will twat the electric on 600w full time.

Glad I could help the previous comment of 600=faster is correct though pal so maybe 600w for less weeks than 400w would equal out. I genuinely would put ma two 600w over them if I could afford it but with Christmas the bank balance is not gd if your on a pay as you go meter it's even worse I use approx £5 a day for just the grow room that's just outtake, 12inch fan, and one 600 dimmed to 400. There's another 600w,400w, dehumidifier, oil rad and intake come flower I'm dreading it. For my last runs iv used two shit leds next to the 400 I can definitely c the difference now.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

Glad I could help the previous comment of 600=faster is correct though pal so maybe 600w for less weeks than 400w would equal out. I genuinely would put ma two 600w over them if I could afford it but with Christmas the bank balance is not gd if your on a pay as you go meter it's even worse I use approx £5 a day for just the grow room that's just outtake, 12inch fan, and one 600 dimmed to 400. There's another 600w,400w, dehumidifier, oil rad and intake come flower I'm dreading it. For my last runs iv used two shit leds next to the 400 I can definitely c the difference now.

I know the feeling mate, I've yet to figure out how much mines gonna cost to run but did estimate approx £5 a day and it looks like I've got similar kit to you. 

Cheers for the advice! 

2 people like this

probably the best idea, settle them in at 400watts for a week or two, will save a bit of juice, 

good luck with them.

2 people like this

Just out of curiosity @smiggy   did you use a 600w lamp when the ballasts dimmed down to 400w or do you have a 400w lamp  ???

41 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

Just out of curiosity @smiggy   did you use a 600w lamp when the ballasts dimmed down to 400w or do you have a 400w lamp  ???

Hi mate, I've got 600w lamps that can be dimmed to 400w via the ballasts. 

Im not keen on running a 600w at 400w as it can affect the light out put & Id be more inclined to get a 400w lamp itself considering how cheap they are, also, can your ballasts run metal halides  ?

1 person likes this