Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lemoore00

Burping

53 posts in this topic

That's my understanding too

Yeah I've read a lot online and different sites had different frequencies but generally it followed the same pattern e.g. burp frequently for the first week, say a few times a day (I burped in the morning and in the evening), then every 2nd day for the next week, then once a week in the following weeks. The basis being to refresh the air. Maybe it was just talking about avoiding mould.

Curing truly is an art form :eat:

Edited by Hammo44

7 minutes ago, Hammo44 said:

Yeah I've read a lot online and different sites had different frequencies but generally it followed the same pattern e.g. burp frequently for the first week, say a few times a day (I burped in the morning and in the evening), then every 2nd day for the next week, then once a week in the following weeks. The basis being to refresh the air. Maybe it was just talking about avoiding mould.

Curing truly is an art form :eat:

Ball ache. Put it in when it's ready, and leave the fucker shut.  My dope is peak at a month sealed, doesn't get better than that. But that all makes a difference too, it depends what you fed and how much.  All that will affect your optimum curing period.

If it's over 62 you have to burp or you will, eventually, get shit coloured weed followed by mould. 

Every time you burp you effectively restart the cure, why bother unless you have to? 

1 person likes this

See I always took it to be removing the moisture that builds up. It's only recently I read a blog that said about the RH in the jars and target zones etc. 

24 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

Ball ache. Put it in when it's ready, and leave the fucker shut.  My dope is peak at a month sealed, doesn't get better than that. But that all makes a difference too, it depends what you fed and how much.  All that will affect your optimum curing period.

If it's over 62 you have to burp or you will, eventually, get shit coloured weed followed by mould. 

Every time you burp you effectively restart the cure, why bother unless you have to? 

Yeah I was aiming for the cure zone with mine but also saw this schedule everywhere of burping with the reason being to remove moisture build up.

I burped the shit out of them. Also, kept burping but less regularly once I got to 62 but I'll know better next time. Thanks man.

1 person likes this

I prefer the boveda 58, they leave my bud just that much dryer and i prefer how much denser the bud feels as well.

I use quite an expensive RH monitor from the states, got it from a humidor sales comp. Much more accurate than those cheap ones.

You wanna a monitor on the outside as well, so you don't open your jars up to wrong rh.

I picked up some 62 packs but haven't used them yet.

Got a sensor push and would be good to have one for each jar but not at 50 bucks a pop. Best one I've used so far. Reliable and the app is really good. The apps tend to let these remote sensors down or so I've found.

I got some from Amazon and they're pretty accurate I rested with a boveda pack in an empty kilner jar.

I've stuck mine on the inside facing out with some double-sided sticky tape so no need to open the jars...

I took a bit out to smoke so I can let this lot cure for a month.

That's a good idea sticking it to the jar. Mine always falls face down, bloody bastard.

Got a pack of 5 mini hygrometer for 10 bucks on Amazon. Probably the same one. I stuck them in a sealed bag with a shot glass full of salt and water for 12 hours to test how close they got to 75% and 4 were at 73, with one at 72. Was quite surprised how accurate they are.

large.IMG_20200116_093349_compress10.jpg

1 person likes this

Genius :bong:

Once I have harvested and dried, MrsJP takes over curing duties.

We don't have any fancy kit for measuring anything apart from our noses.

As others here have commented I tend to call an end to drying when the stalks crunch, not snap. Usually it's about 10 days in the grow tent with fan+filter running, and a drying basket that gets inverted every day.

Once that's done, it's into small (1L ?) kilner jars. Very loosely packed. MrsJP then religiously burps for about an hour a day for a few weeks. The bud goes through a series of smells, from hardly any immediately after drying through a pretty yukky greeny smell, and finally the true smell starts to come through. At that point it's burp once a week for a few weeks until the smell has stabilised. Then it's tighter packed into bigger kilner jars.

I'm a big fan of science, numbers, and measurement. But at the end of the day no amount of "perfect" readings can beat what your nose tells you.

1 person likes this

I think there is space for some innovative products here. Black glass jars, air tight, with built-in hydrometer. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

I think there is space for some innovative products here. Black glass jars, air tight, with built-in hydrometer. 

I'll be honest with you, make your money where you can, but that's really a fashion product not an essential. Especially as it could be made at home for less than the electricity it took to order, assuming you already have some kilner jars.

This time next year Rodders........................... ;)

1 person likes this