Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Burping

53 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, lemoore00 said:

4 days.

That's a bit quick and would worry me if it were my grow dude. Your drying conditions need to be improved a bit next time. I try to drag mine out to at least ten days, two weeks if I can. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, FatBoy77 said:

That's a bit quick and would worry me if it were my grow dude. Your drying conditions need to be improved a bit next time. I try to drag mine out to at least ten days, two weeks if I can. 

I've actually now taken them out as the hydrometer was reading 71. They're now in brown bags. I'll try again in 24-36 hours I think?

8 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

I've actually now taken them out as the hydrometer was reading 71. They're now in brown bags. I'll try again in 24-36 hours I think?

Thought 4 days was a bit rapid.  When the outsides feel crispy it doesn't mean you're there.  That's when I move to an open shoe box.  I close the lid after 24hrs and it usually takes another few days.

Its a result dude, you've got a few more days drying = better smoke :skin_up:

2 people like this

Yeah for sure, I'm not in a huge rush and just wanna get it right... I've got plenty of THC vape juice to keep me sane ;)

I also just tried a run of bubble hash which came out pretty lame. I think I need more trim... It was 2oz frozen, which I don't think is enough to get me anything worth the time. I'm gonna dry it and do a BHO run instead I think

@FatBoy77 which hygrometer do you use to monitor drying?  I got a few plants hanging up now, let's see if I can't improve my curing with a bit of accuracy :)

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, unity said:

@FatBoy77 which hygrometer do you use to monitor drying?  I got a few plants hanging up now, let's see if I can't improve my curing with a bit of accuracy :)

Not a clue man, I give my grow buddy a list of shit and it turns up. If I don't specify I get whatever takes her fancy. Had a look, nowt on it.  They turned up in a pack of 20 off whamazon, couple a nicker each. 

1 person likes this

Mine was a pack of five from there, too. I think they were about £12 for five. I've had them pots with boveda 62% packs and they all measure 61. So at least they are consistently out by 1. Also, I am not sure if boveda is exactly 62, or 61.x, and these may round down instead of up...  so...erm...yeah...close enough for jazz :)

Just a question on the paper bags as I'm seeing it mentioned more and more as I read different posts. Do you paper bag it when the bud is crispy on the outside but still springs back up when you squeeze it? How long does it go in the bag or is it a case of waiting until it hits a certain RH when you stick a bit in the jar?

Wasn't planning to use paper bags but if it improves the process, I'm all for trying something different.

Good question :)

Mine is back in jars now, and I'm reading 62%. It's been stable for about 3hrs, but I heard it can take longer to get a good reading the lower the RH. 

So, @FatBoy77 and @seb88, should I leave this jar now for a couple of weeks before opening again? Current temp is 16 in my cool dark place

@Hammo44 I only use paper bags if my bud in the jars goes over 70%, if it comes in just below I won't bother.

@lemoore00 I would leave it in the jar now with the hygrometer in there to keep an eye on it. If it still reads 62% after some time then I'd keep the jar sealed.

1 person likes this

Thanks @seb88. So its basically a temporary solution to let it dry out a bit more.

I'll keep that in mind.

38 minutes ago, Hammo44 said:

Thanks @seb88. So its basically a temporary solution to let it dry out a bit more.

I'll keep that in mind.

As far as I'm aware yeah. The buds will be dry on the outside but still moist in the middle.

Putting them in jars essentially let's them sweat and evens the moisture out throughout the bud.

1 person likes this

Yeah that makes sense. On my first dry/cure when I saw the RH going above 70, I just left the lid off the jar for a bit. I guess the bag is better as it draws the moisture out from within and more evenly.

1 hour ago, Hammo44 said:

Yeah that makes sense. On my first dry/cure when I saw the RH going above 70, I just left the lid off the jar for a bit. I guess the bag is better as it draws the moisture out from within and more evenly.

No need for burping other than bringing rh down, it does nothing to improve your cure.  That starts when you leave the jar sealed up.  The only time it's beneficial to jar above 62rh is if you fuct the dry up and it was too fast, slows shit down a bit.  Otherwise it's just unnecessary ball ache. 

2 people like this

So are we saying keep burping the jar to get the RH down to 62 (for however long that takes) then when it's at 62, just seal the jar for however long you plan to cure for? Say you want to cure for a month then just don't open it for 4 weeks?

Edited by Hammo44