Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Burping

53 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Another day, another question...

I've dried my first plant and it's now in jars. My jars are reading 60%. How often do you think I should burp them, as the RH is at a decent level now. I am thinking if I burp them every day they will get too dry. I have heard curing stops at 55% RH - is that true?

Cheers :)

@lemoore00 I tend to burb the jars for 1 minute about 4 times daily. I give the jar a little shake or get a stick to move them around. Just to loosen them up a little. Then gradually decrease over the coming weeks . They won't get too dry if you do this as long as the jars are in a cool, dry dark place

I've never read the humidity in jars so I can't comment on when it stops.

1 person likes this

Thanks man. I am following a method that says start the jars when the jars read 70% with bud in. Then burp them until they slowly come down to around 58-60

2 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

Hi all,

Another day, another question...

I've dried my first plant and it's now in jars. My jars are reading 60%. How often do you think I should burp them, as the RH is at a decent level now. I am thinking if I burp them every day they will get too dry. I have heard curing stops at 55% RH - is that true?

Cheers :)

As far as I know when you hit 62% the chance of mould is over and you don't need to burp. Curing does stop at 55%.  Therefore your ideal setup is to jar as close to 62% as possible, assuming your meter is accurate, then don't open for at least two weeks, longer if you didn't give plain water at the end of the grow. 

I still think 62rh weed isn't a great smoke so I leave my buds out a few hours first before smoking them. 

Your jars will drop gradually over time, especially if like me, you are dipping in and out. 

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I left a boveda 62% pack in an empty jar with with the meter, and it read 61, so I am just adding 1 to whatever it reads. It's actually climbed a bit now, and is reading 65. So do you think I should still wait two weeks before opening again? Or should I now just chuck in the boveda packs to get them to hit 62?

As I dont know what 62rh weed is like...could you crumble it, or would you need a grinder? I'm not a fan of damp weed, and kinda think you should be able to crumble it with your hands.

Cheers for your help dude

No don't wait 2 weeks if the RH is climbing. I'd burp every 12 hours if the RH settles between 62-70. If it goes over 70 I would put the buds into paper bags for 12-24hrs then back in the jars again.

It's good that it is rising imo. You want the buds to cure slowly for the best smoke. I'd expect it to slowly drop to 62% over a week, maybe a little quicker if you are using boveda packs.

1 person likes this

Thanks seb. everyone says a "cool" dark place..  How cool is "cool"? Is there such a thing as too cold at this stage?

1 hour ago, lemoore00 said:

Thanks seb. everyone says a "cool" dark place..  How cool is "cool"? Is there such a thing as too cold at this stage?

I generally wear sunglasses as I put the jars in my cupboard...I look pretty dam cool doing so :realcool:

Keep it somewhere about 20ish I'd guess and you should be good, just avoid temperature extremes so not hot and not cold.  @FatBoy77 seems quite a guru on this one tho, so I'd follow his lead :yep:

4 people like this

3 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I left a boveda 62% pack in an empty jar with with the meter, and it read 61, so I am just adding 1 to whatever it reads. It's actually climbed a bit now, and is reading 65. So do you think I should still wait two weeks before opening again? Or should I now just chuck in the boveda packs to get them to hit 62?

65% is pretty close to safe but you'd need to burp regularly until it reaches 62. As mentioned the packs will speed that up but aren't really needed. 

3 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

As I dont know what 62rh weed is like...could you crumble it, or would you need a grinder? I'm not a fan of damp weed, and kinda think you should be able to crumble it with your hands.

Cheers for your help dude

2 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

How cool is "cool"? Is there such a thing as too cold at this stage?

I aim for about 17c, anywhere from 15-20c is good enough.  Extremes of anything usually fuck shit up.  Once down to 62 you can freeze if you like but I never have. 

62rh weed will grind easily but will clog up your grinder with resin, does mine anyway.  62rh weed needs to sit in my smoking box for 12-24hrs before it's at its best imho.

As an add on - I've left weed in the jar unopened at 65 for over three weeks at 17c without any signs of mould showing up.  That doesn't mean it's a good idea, just shows you have some room for manoeuvre.  Bud left like this (I had to) will start losing green/red colours to brown.  Much like long term storage at constant 62 would do. 

Edited by FatBoy77
2 people like this

Cheers. I need to find somewhere else.. my spot is around 13...  

I'm pretty happy as there's no hay smell coming from this jar at all, just pure weed smell.

1.7oz from the first plant, a Sensiseeds Blueberry x Skunk #1

large.IMG_20200114_094501_compress13.jpg

12 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

That's a great storage temp, just get it close to 62, whack a pack in and Robert's yer dad's bro.  I'd take the pack out after a few weeks, at that temp your jars will drop real slow. 

Edited by FatBoy77
1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

I'm pretty happy as there's no hay smell coming from this jar at all, just pure weed smell.

1.7oz from the first plant, a Sensiseeds Blueberry x Skunk #1

large.IMG_20200114_094501_compress13.jpg

Nice, I'll be happy if I get a big full jar like that.

How long was the dry before you jarred it up?

Edited by Hammo44

4 days. I've read so much about this recently and I personally feel like a lot depends on the temp of your room, RH, strain as to how long the initial dry will take. I read earlier, and Fatboy confirmed, that the cure stops at 55%, but I think the snap test would maybe be around that. So I don't get why that is the benchmark for jarring. I think it's too late. So I went for when the bids felt crispy on the outside, stems still bending, but a dry bend ( if you know what I mean). Squeezed a bud and it didn't spring back straight away. The buds in the jars are showing 67 now, and seemed to have settled there. They smell good.

I've come to the conclusion that curing is a pure art!

as a rule of thumb, I jar up once the stems crunch, not snap.  I found when I waited until the stems snapped, too much had over dried.  Taking them when most stems crunch is a tiny bit early, but gives me room to finish.

2 people like this

Yeah thats what I think. The snap is where you want it after the cure, not before...