Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StixNstemsx

Considering switching from coco to dwc

Good day fellow growers, I have a question, I'm currently 3 weeks 3 days into flower on my first grow using coco and am considering going for the urban R-DWC 8 pot setup for the next grow.

Currently in a 1.2x.1.2x2 with a single 600w hps and 4 plants but if moving to the dwc considering just using the room itself instead of a tent, is this viable and have others here had much experience/luck with that particular brand/setup?

Cheers.

Edited by StixNstemsx
Additional info

Ive done a couple dwc but not that brand. I tried a 3 pot set up in 1m tent lol. Had to take 2 out not enough space. They grow big fast. Good for yeild but no way near as forgiving as coco. I was constantly adjusting ph. Only did the 2 grows with it.  Not for me. I it can out perform coco but I like the safty of coco lol. If i leave it a couple a days, its not gonna make much of a problem.

Just make sure you can maintain an appropriate water temperature wherever you're doing it and you will be fine :) 

I think it's @GreenVision you need to speak with. 

Edited by Nervous
1 person likes this

Imo dwc is amazing in proper legal situations. 

Like the guy above said water temps are a must and chillers can draw a fair bit of power. 

Look at how many gpw your getting in coco. 

I know people getting well over 1 and they treat coco like soil but they use huge 50ltrs fabric pots 

Also emptying them out every other week is giant pain in the arse. 

I fucked around for close to 10 years trying every possible method imaginable now back in biobizz light mix 2 biotabs and tap water 

@StixNstemsx  I've not used them mate, but I've had them recommended to me by folks who know their stuff so I'd say they as good as any other.

I wouldn't personally just have it in a room, it creates a few issues first of which is the windows, you get a light leak and your in trouble, block it up and it looks suspect. Second is leaks, my Budbox Pro has a huge bottom piece / tray that could probably hold my entire system if it did leak, in a straight up room you'd really have a mess if you did spring a leak.

On the actual RDWC method itself I would suggest reading all you can on it before jumping into it. RDWC is not a forgiving growing method, its my fav personally but if you mess up with a single thing it will really kick your ass. 

Might want to also keep in mind water quality. If like me you in a hard water area you will need a good RO filter to get the best from the RDWC. 

The rest is just based on equipment. I will say its probably the most expensive growing method I know of, be prepared to spend the best part of £1000 once all said and done. But if you buy the right gear it makes it a hell of a lot easier. :yep:

Main concern is trying to maximize yield and everything I see points to dwc :P the watering isn't a big deal and the room is small enough to be relatively controllable temp wise so conditions should be alright there.

Also a little worried about upscaling using coco as disposal might be an issue end of grow

2 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

@StixNstemsx  I've not used them mate, but I've had them recommended to me by folks who know their stuff so I'd say they as good as any other.

I wouldn't personally just have it in a room, it creates a few issues first of which is the windows, you get a light leak and your in trouble, block it up and it looks suspect. Second is leaks, my Budbox Pro has a huge bottom piece / tray that could probably hold my entire system if it did leak, in a straight up room you'd really have a mess if you did spring a leak.

On the actual RDWC method itself I would suggest reading all you can on it before jumping into it. RDWC is not a forgiving growing method, its my fav personally but if you mess up with a single thing it will really kick your ass. 

Might want to also keep in mind water quality. If like me you in a hard water area you will need a good RO filter to get the best from the RDWC. 

The rest is just based on equipment. I will say its probably the most expensive growing method I know of, be prepared to spend the best part of £1000 once all said and done. But if you buy the right gear it makes it a hell of a lot easier. :yep:

Fair point tbh, been reading non stop since before starting this 1, only reason I didn't start with it was price point xd system itself is about £230, will get a heater/chiller if going ahead.

Reckon I'd be better off doubling tent space then?

1 minute ago, StixNstemsx said:

Fair point tbh, been reading non stop since before starting this 1, only reason I didn't start with it was price point xd system itself is about £230, will get a heater/chiller if going ahead.

Reckon I'd be better off doubling tent space then?

Basic equipment.  Large enough tent, RDWC system, Chiller, room heater, water heater, EC stick, top quality PH pen, Tent fans, 250 litre water butt, Nutrients including Cal/Mag, PH calibration fluid, Pythoff, PH Down, Spare Pump, good quality air stones if they're not included.

On top of this you WILL need a big enough light setup to cover the system. No good having all this and lighting it with a cheap LED or a single 600w HPS cos' you wont yield any more than you would in soil. 

Worth mentioning that with the few grows I've done a SCROG works really well, seeing as you can change your water from the header pot so you dont need to get into the tent as much late bloom.

large.KillerSkunk.JPG.c6b1339accb5f47fb2

large.DSC_0167.JPG.b0f76f351394954736c1c

You can grow 12OZ monsters in RDWC.

medium.DSC_0082.JPG.ac3f34c59384d11bd673

But to be honest its a long haul. Like most I thought it would be relatively easy, its not. You have to be like a surgeon with you EC and PH at ALL times, the moment you say to yourself "It'll be alright" your fucked.

That said though, get it right and you will get the results your after. I've had a few 10oz and over plants, hit over 1 kilo with a 7 plant SCROG, had 0.8 gpw with little effort. Its a great method, just a learning thing.

GV.

2 people like this

I’ve just finished my first dwc in a oxypot Xl with 2 girls in and yielded 0.5gpw but they got to talk and the tops ended up burnt that went in the bin everything else is lovely quality and I know now I need to train them in the scrog net for longer. 
ive just brought a 4 pot rdwc set up from urban and I’ll be running a diary so keep your eyes peeled. All in all though I’d say dwc is a straight forward way of growing I went with advance nutrients so didn’t need to PH at all. 
mans look around in local grow shops they often have second hand chillers etc. 

2 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

Basic equipment.  Large enough tent, RDWC system, Chiller, room heater, water heater, EC stick, top quality PH pen, Tent fans, 250 litre water butt, Nutrients including Cal/Mag, PH calibration fluid, Pythoff, PH Down, Spare Pump, good quality air stones if they're not included.

On top of this you WILL need a big enough light setup to cover the system. No good having all this and lighting it with a cheap LED or a single 600w HPS cos' you wont yield any more than you would in soil. 

Worth mentioning that with the few grows I've done a SCROG works really well, seeing as you can change your water from the header pot so you dont need to get into the tent as much late bloom.

But to be honest its a long haul. Like most I thought it would be relatively easy, its not. You have to be like a surgeon with you EC and PH at ALL times, the moment you say to yourself "It'll be alright" your fucked.

That said though, get it right and you will get the results your after. I've had a few 10oz and over plants, hit over 1 kilo with a 7 plant SCROG, had 0.8 gpw with little effort. Its a great method, just a learning thing.

GV.

Holy shit mate really appreciate the info, I think you may be right and it's a little much for now, however I've never let good advice stop me making mistakes before :D I'll make sure to get as close to perfect before laying seed using this post as a guideline, will be getting a second light for the upgrade naturally.

Not missing too much off the list so could still be achievable, again, thank you for the info, hard to search for specifics like that.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, GreenVision said:

GV.

Did a lot more reading and decided to go with a Wilma system to start as it seems to be the halfway between coco and dwc, once it's started paying for itself I'll take another look at DWC, only I'll do it 100% from the start instead of piece meal like my current run. Will do a diary for it for sure so keep an eye out for me :P

1 person likes this