Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JJJ

Quiet System

42 posts in this topic
4 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

lumber store and they can do the cuts etc for you.

I've measured the wood needed to construct a big box with internal dimensions of 1m x 1m x 2m and it comes to around 230 squid.  With an extra layer or soundproofing foam the cost gets over 300.  And my back's not very good these days so moving this thing around as I'm building it and positioning it may destroy me.  Good to have options though.

1 person likes this

Stupid price for what it is and certainly not a powerful fan to start, put a carbon filter on that and its a waste of time. 6inch 402cfm lol 

2 people like this

OK so what is good then?  I was originally planning to box up a couple of Systemair RVKs but they seem a bit dated now and you don't seem to get the most accurate control with them.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Stupid price for what it is and certainly not a powerful fan to start, put a carbon filter on that and its a waste of time. 6inch 402cfm lol 

That's been pointed out before. You're paying for the efficiency, silence and the controller more than brute force. JJJ said he wanted a silent fan so I suggested one, there's nothing quieter in my experience. 

@JJJ £173 (delivered) for the 6" with controller. Toke does have a point but if you want elegance and silence, I think this is a decent choice. If I'm totally honest, the S & P model was louder than the AC infinity, and the 100 or so more CFM is barely worth mentioning. 

Think the point is that if you want a silent fan it's not going to be as powerful. 

Edited by Nervous
4 people like this

1 minute ago, Nervous said:

£173 for the 6" with controller

Where did you find that mate?  I could always over spec if the price is right - and fit a larger filter/minimise bends etc.

I own a TD Silent 5" and whilst it is VERY quiet on both modes, it does not silence the air movement which makes most of the noise. You are better off investing in PVC soil pipe and making your extraction super quiet than the fan - will go a lot further in my humble opinion :) 

2 people like this

Just now, InTheSystem said:

You are better off investing in PVC soil pipe and making your extraction super quiet than the fan -

Good point.  I think the more expensive (and probably better engineered silent fans expel air in a straighter line which cuts down on noise in the duct run.  By a PVC soil pipe, I presume you're talking about a solid plastic/rigid duct?

2 people like this

@Nervous Ah, I see - much cheaper from the US then.  Food for thought...

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, JJJ said:

Good point.  I think the more expensive (and probably better engineered silent fans expel air in a straighter line which cuts down on noise in the duct run.  By a PVC soil pipe, I presume you're talking about a solid plastic/rigid duct?

i am a builder, he means the orange pipe used for soil (waste) runs.

Try a local builders merchants or Wickes/B&Q will sell it.

Usually one end is flared a little with a collar, this should fir over a 150mm fan but havent tried it personally

2 people like this

@JJJ They also knock off 20% in sales, I got mine for about 140 all in. 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Nervous said:

They also knock off 20% in sales, I got mine for about 140 all in. 

Was looking at the 8 inch - waaay more expensive.

1 person likes this

Just now, JJJ said:

Let me elaborate a little, sorry haha - I brought the TD silent because at the time I was living in Portugal in a small apartment.. Proper bait place to grow and the tent was literally 3 foot from my bed. I got the fan (was bloody expensive from memory, for me being a RVK guy prior) hooked it all up and still could only hear air blowing and vibrations. I brought that 'acoustic insulated ducting' where the ducting is wrapped in a bigger duct with insulation foam between the two - it was indeed better but still not the ticket. I then swapped out everything for PVC soil pipe (yes the plastic rigid stuff it is usually orange when you start going to 5/6/8 inch - not your bathroom sink stuff).. It was Silent mate... I mean I could barely notice it and I am a very sensitive sleeper. So I am suggesting it purely on a positive experience.. Hope that helps mate :)

3 people like this

1 minute ago, InTheSystem said:

Hope that helps mate :)

Yes mate, thanks for that.  I used to grow in an apartment in Portugal too.  Small world...:)  Don't know why I bothered though as I had an enormous sun terrace on the roof...:rofl:

2 people like this

@JJJ 8 inch would be vastly too powerful for your set up, don't want your tent to lift off aha 

3 people like this