Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JJJ

Quiet System

42 posts in this topic

Hey Peeps,

Looking at some silent fans at the moment for a new set up.  Trawling through about every website available I'm thinking of going for a 6 inch TD Silent for extract 500m3h and a 5 inch TD Silent 350m3h for intake.  They're generally cheaper than other silent fans and seem to get good reviews.  This will be in a 100 x 100 x 200 space.

I want a compatible controller which controls both fans safely and quietly (preferably one that maintains negative pressure) but anything over about 150 notes is getting a bit silly IMO.

Is anyone running these fans successfully with a controller?  

Or maybe the 4 inch for intake at 250m3h would be better...:unsure:

Thanks

Edited by JJJ
1 person likes this

@JJJ the most silent fans I have come across are Soler & Palau and AC infinity. I was able to run a 315W CMH with the AC Ininity fan (6") on it's lowest setting in the cooler hours which was all but imperceptible. Either 6" would be sufficient for you. 

AC infinity fans have their own digital controllers that are stupidly intelligent and I've previously used a Rasberry Pi for everything else so I can't help on controllers much tbh. Here's a tutorial if you're interested: https://tutorials-raspberrypi.com/build-your-own-automatic-raspberry-pi-greenhouse/#cooling

Edited by Nervous
5 people like this

Put your money into an over sized extract fan and carbon filter and use passive for intake.

Toke...

Edited by tokenroll
4 people like this

@JJJ if you want a silent grow room the best bet is to make your own cab with double skinned walls with insulation between them. Not always an option but works to perfection.

Toke...

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Put your money into an over sized extract fan and carbon filter and use passive for intake.

Hi Toke.  So do you think passive intake will do the job then?  I mean, I really like the saving it will offer but I was always under the impression that an active intake helped to produce healthier plants.  Great if I'm wrong though...

1 person likes this

Just now, tokenroll said:

the best bet is to make your own cab with double skinned walls

Funny you should mention that.  I'm currently putting plans together for an 18mm MDF cabinet with 20mm acoustic lining but the work involved is a little worrying..

1 person likes this

I upgraded to a 6inch stealth hyper fan paired with phonic trap ducting and it’s great compared to my rvk plus it comes with a controller not the cheapest but very good for the price. 

2 people like this

In a larger room you would be correct, but you're running a smallish room so you could definitely get away with a passive if you had a 6". Unless you're bringing in air to cool the room you only have to worry about oxygen. Passive would provide enough. 

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Soler & Palau and AC infinity

Looking at these now.  Nice looking fans and running passively will cut the overall price in half.  Nice one...:taz:

1 person likes this

I run 6inch TDsilents pair them with Sonic trap ducting and 1.5 amp Str step controllers you wont get much quieter. i run 2 in the same room and you can't hear they are on, outside of the room.

i use them in 4x4 tents running passive.

(you dont want many if any bends in your ducting they dont have that sort of power.)

The controller  copy ,paste into google : FANTRONIX Variac Fan Speed Controller No Hum (STR 1.5 Amps)

takes a bit of basic wiring.

2 people like this

No probs. Anytime. 

Have to warn you the postage on AC Infinity isn't cheap as they are exclusively sold in the US but when on sale they usually drop the postage to about $30 which makes it a steal for a fan + controller. They are totally worth it though. 

1 person likes this

@JJJ use 18mm mdf for the outer walls and 12mm mdf internal, with 25mm or 50mm cellotex in between. Cut channels out of the cellotex for air to get pulled through the walls, intake at the top and vent into the cab at the bottom. Similar to what I run and the cabinet is beside our bed. I vent through the ceiling with the fan and carbon filter in a long box in the loft and it vents out into a spare cupboard to heat the other room. If you have a local hardware / lumber store and they can do the cuts etc for you.

Toke...

5 people like this

2 minutes ago, Nervous said:

they are exclusively sold in the US

I just found one on A***on UK with free delivery at 310 quid.

@JJJ Christ on a bike! Lemme check that for you because there are some rip off merchants selling them in the UK. 

1 person likes this

@JJJ Yeah don't go to that seller, they have 75% approval rating. Looks like some people who have ordered things haven't got their items. I know the ones on Fleabay are also dodgy.